Connect with us

Trending

Army Compensates Ismail Mohammed’s Family With ₦300k

Published

on

 

Nigerian Army Compensates Family Of 16-year-old Shot Dead In Kaduna Protests With N300,000

The family of Ismail Mohammed, a 16-year-old boy killed by the Nigerian Army under President Bola Tinubu during the ongoing #EndBadGovernance protests, has been compensated with N300,000.

This follows the army’s admission of responsibility for the fatal shooting in Samaru, Zaria, Kaduna State in a statement on Wednesday.

According to social media user, Aliyu (@AliyuKwarbai) on Wednesday afternoon, Ismail Mohammed’s family has been given N300,000 for life compensation.

“The father of 16 years old boy (Ismail), who was killed by the Nigerian Army under the leadership of Bola Ahmed Tinubu yesterday, in Samaru Zaria, Kaduna state has received N300,000. N300,000 for life’s compensation of life?”

SaharaReporters reported on Tuesday that tragedy struck in Kaduna State, as Nigerian soldiers fired live rounds to suppress #EndBadGovernance protests in Samaru community, killing two civilians and sparking widespread panic.

According to eyewitnesses, the soldiers stormed the community, home to thousands of Ahmadu Bello University students, on Tuesday morning and opened fire on civilians.

SaharaReporters learnt that the military’s brutal crackdown was aimed to disperse protesters who had been gathering in the area for days.

A student resident confirmed the incident to SaharaReporters, describing the atmosphere as tense and volatile following the senseless killing of innocent civilians.

The community source said, “The army came early this morning (Tuesday) and did not care; they just started shooting. Their aim was to suppress the ongoing protest. Unfortunately, their bullets hit two residents at the market area of Samaru. They both died.”

“One of them was a 16-year-old boy. I do not know much about the identity of the second one,” the source added.

A graphic video shared by X user, Better Kaduna, shows the lifeless body of one of the victims, providing disturbing visual evidence of the deadly crackdown on protesters in Zaria, Kaduna State.

He wrote: “Videos coming in from Samaru Community in Zaria are worrisome and Viewers Discretion is advised.

“Being a student-dominated community, we are calling on ABU Zaria Authorities to ensure the safety of students and forestall further loss of lives.”

Meanwhile, SaharaReporters earlier reported today that the Nigerian Army has confirmed the death of a protester and 16-year-old boy, Ismail Mohammed, in Zaira, Kaduna State.

The army spokesperson, Major General Onyema Nwachukwu, in a release stated that the teenager’s death resulted from troops firing a warning shot to deter hoodlums and enforce the curfew imposed by the state government.

The curfew was in the wake of the #EndBadGovernance peaceful protests in the state, which was however hijacked by some hoodlums.

Nwachukwu, the Director of Army Public Relations, said that Nigerian Army troops received a distress call reporting that a large group of hoodlums had gathered in Samaru, burning tyres on the road and pelting stones at security personnel.

 

The army authorities stated that the troops were immediately mobilised and arrived at the scene to disperse the mob and enforce the curfew imposed by the state government.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending