Connect with us

Politics

Gov Oborevwori not moved by ill-motivated propaganda – Bureau Chief

Published

on

 

…Says prudent management of resources, mega projects ‘ll be sustained

Governor of Delta State, Rt Hon Sheriff Oborevwori, will continue to pay priority attention to infrastructure development, quality healthcare, agriculture, education and other key sectors of the state economy through the ongoing implementation of his MORE Agenda.

Chief Executive Officer of Delta State Orientation and Communications Bureau, Dr Fred Latimore Oghenesivbe, gave the assurance in a statement on Saturday, while responding to a trending media propaganda by the spokesperson of the major opposition party in the state.

He said governor Oborevwori is a visionary leader, a meticulous planner and prudent administrator whose main objective is to build a virile economy, through various star projects across the three senatorial districts, adding that the ongoing implementation of the MORE agenda is already creating thousands of jobs and wealth for skilled and unskilled Deltans.

Dr Latimore stated that no amount of name calling, deliberate blackmail and media propaganda that would distract governor Oborevwori from doing the needful to Advance Delta, saying that loans and credit facilities obtained by previous administration were transparently spent to develop and upgrade infrastructure, upscaled socioeconomic development, and wellbeing of the People.

He pointed out that the immediate past governor, Senator Dr Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa, CON, served the state meritoriously for eight years, noting that the state under him published annual financial reports in the official website of the state government, to enable citizens and stakeholders freely access the reports anywhere in the world.

Dr Latimore disclosed that the present administration under the leadership of governor Oborevwori neither violated the Nigerian Constitution nor acted illegally by repaying and servicing legitimate debts and credit facilities obtained legally by the previous administration, especially where the loans had been transparently utilized to develop infrastructure, and well-being of the people.

He assured that Oborevwori administration will continue to acknowledge the good governance strides of the immediate past governor, Senator Dr Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa, CON, saying that the state financial resources was never used to prosecute the 2023 vice presidential ticket of the immediate past governor of the state.

He charged the spokesperson of the major opposition party in the state, to reflect on the ongoing END-BAD-GOVERNANCE nationwide protest, occasioned by the abysmal performance of the federal government under his party, and compare same with Delta State where the governor is allergic to loans and anti people economic policies, but rather supporting small and medium scale businesses though financial grants to fast track economic growth under the MORE Agenda.

“The Spokesperson of the major opposition party in Delta State, is obviously not abreast with the numerous achievements of governor Oborevwori.

“Constructive criticism anchored on accurate data and verifiable evidence is necessary to checkmate any government in power, Delta inclusive. However, misinformation, disinformation, fake news, deliberate blackmail and propaganda amounts to politics of bitterness.

“Obviously, the Spokesperson of the major opposition party goofed. His allegations amounts to frustration, occasioned by the landmark achievements of governor Oborevwori in the past fourteen months and counting.

“On a daily or regular basis, the media reported actions and inactions of the governor; contracts awarded, those completed and commissioned. Everything is in public domain, and accessible via Google search, and in all traditional and social media platforms.

“Well meaning Deltans are daily commending the governor over his prudent management of resources and for embarking on several job and wealth creation mega projects that is already impacting positively on the state economy.

“Since 1999, all states in Nigeria borrowed money from financial institutions and banks to fund major projects, and Delta is not an exception. Borrowed funds were deployed judiciously and the results abound across the three senatorial districts.

“Loans or credit facilities obtained by the previous administration were utilized transparently for the benefit of all Deltans and the state. This administration is comfortable with the achievements and economic advancement of the state under the immediate past governor, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa.

“Governor Oborevwori will continue to repay and service debts legitimately owed by the State, and at the same time sustain good governance until Delta is rated number one economically. The MORE Agenda is designed to achieve uncommon results that would advance Delta beyond 2027.

“The highest debtor state in Nigeria is Lagos, where Mr President held sway as defacto leader, and the Delta Spokesperson of the major opposition party in Delta is aware of this development. Delta is moving forward.

“We don’t want to join issues with the opposition spokesperson, but it is crystal clear that his allegations amounts to mere propaganda, illogical, baseless and ill-motivated.

“All available records locally and internationally; including the National Bureau of Statistics, NBC, and the federal government Debt Management Office indicated that Delta state is solvent, and in good standing economically.

“Our amiable governor, Rt Hon Sheriff Oborevwori is working very hard to consistently position Delta in the front roll of fast developing states in Nigeria, and shall remain focused to deliver on his electioneering campaigns promises to the people,” Oghenesivbe assured.

Politics

2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election

Published

on

 

No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.

This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.

While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.

Major casualties

One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.

In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.

 

Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.

They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).

Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.

In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.

The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.

At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.

Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.

According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.

Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.

Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.

The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.

The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.

According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.

The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.

It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed

Published

on

A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.

Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.

Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.

He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.

The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.

Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.

He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.

“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”

However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.

It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.

On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.

Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.

The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.

He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”

He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.

Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.

Continue Reading

Trending