Connect with us

News

Zelensky is in US to present ‘victory plan’ to Biden, Harris and Trump

Published

on

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has arrived in the United States to present his plan to end the war with Russia to Joe BidenKamala Harris and Donald Trump.

Zelensky will present his proposals – which he calls a ‘victory plan’ – to the trio this week and press the case for Ukraine to use long-range missiles on targets inside Russia.

Kyiv for weeks has urged West to allow it to use the weapons to strike deeper into Russia, but the Biden administration is still not convinced that it should give Ukraine that authority.

US officials say they are seeking more detailed information about how Kyiv would use the weapons and how they fit into the broader strategy for the war.

Zelensky is expected to try to convince Biden to change his mind when they meet at the White House on Thursday.

The Ukrainian President, who landed in the US on Sunday, began his American tour by visiting a factory in Pennsylvania that produces badly needed 155mm artillery shells. He will next travel to New York and Washington Washington.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky (R) being welcomed by Maj. Gen. John T. Reim Jr. during a visit to the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant in Scranton, Pennsylvania on Sunday

 

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky is pictured speaking during his visit to the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant in Scranton, Pennsylvania on September 22, 2024

 

‘I began my visit to the United States by expressing my gratitude to all the employees at the plant,’ Zelensky said Sunday in a post on X, formerly Twitter.

The post included photos of him shaking hands with workers at the plant, where he said production had been ramped up.

‘It is in places like this where you can truly feel that the democratic world can prevail,’ he wrote.

The visit comes after a summer of intense fighting – with Moscow advancing fast in eastern Ukraine and Kyiv holding on to swathes of Russia’s Kursk region.

Zelensky said the coming weeks would decide how more than 30 months of fighting that has killed thousands would end.

‘It is now being determined what the legacy of the current generation of states leaders will be. Those in the highest offices,’ he said.

In comments before his trip, Zelensky said the United States and UK have not given Ukraine permission to use the long-range weapons as they fear escalation, but hinted he had not given up hope.

‘We have had some decisions in the history of our relationship with Biden — very interesting and difficult dialogues,’ Zelensky said earlier this week, adding: ‘He later changed his point of view.’

Moscow has said it considers such a go-ahead as NATO countries being ‘at war’ with Russia.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky (C-L) speaking to the US delegation while at the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant in Scranton, Pennsylvania on September 22, 2024

 

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky (R) receives a tour of the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant by Rich Hansen, (L) the Commander’s Representative at Scranton Army Ammunition Plant in Scranton, Pennsylvania, September 22, 2024

 

Zelensky (C) is pictured receiving a tour of the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant by Hansen (L) on Sunday, September 22, 2024

 

Hansen (left) speaks to Zelensky (right) during their tour of the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant on Sunday

 

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky (C) poses for a photo with Scranton Army Ammunition Plant employees during his tour of the plant on Sunday

 

A close adviser to Biden said this month that the US leader would use his remaining time in office to ‘put Ukraine in the best possible position to prevail.’

No details on Ukraine’s plan have been made public.

Zelensky said Biden would be the first foreign leader to see the plan ‘in full’ – saying it will then also be presented to ‘all leaders of our partner countries.’

Zelensky plans to present the proposals to the US Congress, Harris and Trump.

The White House has said he will meet with Democratic Vice President Harris separately from Biden, and Zelensky has said he expects to meet with Republican Trump on Thursday or Friday.

Harris has indicated she would continue Biden’s policies on Ukraine, while Trump has been hugely critical of Washington’s massive aid packages for Kyiv.

Zelensky said earlier this week that the plan envisages that ‘war will not return to us again in an even bigger wave’ in years to come.

He has said Kyiv plans to hold meetings throughout autumn and that the ‘entire plan’ will be ready by ‘early November.’

The proposals, he told the media Friday, envisage ‘quick and concrete steps by our strategic partners.’

One of those steps, he said, is ‘related to strengthening Ukraine’s weapons capabilities’ while another demands a ‘clear place for Ukraine in the world’s security architecture’.

Firefighters work to extinguish a fire after a Russian attack on Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine early Monday, September 23, 2024

 

A view of the damage after a Russian attack on Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine early Monday morning

 

Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of the overnight shelling of a residential building in Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine on September 23, 2024

 

Zelensky has also said he plans to invite Russia to a possible second international peace summit in November.

But Moscow this weekend said it would not attend and referred to President Vladimir Putin‘s conditions to enter talks: that Ukraine surrender four of its regions.

‘I think both are still betting on the possibility of a military victory,’ UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres told CNN Sunday.

Russian attacks on Ukraine killed six people — including two children — this weekend, while a strike on the city of Kharkiv wounded 21 people in a residential neighborhood.

Ukraine said it struck two arms depots in Russia, with Kyiv‘s army saying it hit a key ammunition storage base important to the Russian army’s logistics for its invasion.

Read more

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

News

Cameroon’s President, Paul Biya Set To Get A Vice President For The First Time In His 43-Year Rule

Published

on

Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, is set to get a vice president for the first time in his four-decade rule, following controversial constitutional changes backed by the parliament.

In a ‌joint session of the ruling party-dominated National Assembly and Senate, lawmakers voted 200 to 18 in favour, with four abstentions, to pass the bill.

The bill stipulates that the vice president will ​automatically assume the presidency if President Paul Biya dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated.

Biya, ​93, has led the Central African country since 1982 and is the world’s oldest serving head of state. Public discussion about ​his health is banned.

According to the legislation, a copy of which was seen by ​Reuters, the vice president will be appointed and dismissed by the president, serving for the remainder of the president’s seven-year term.

However, the interim leader would be prohibited from initiating constitutional changes or ​running in a subsequent election.

Prior to the amendment, the constitution designated the leader of the Senate to briefly take over in case the sitting president d!es or is incapacitated. An election would then be held.

The Social Democratic Front (SDF) party, which has six representatives in parliament, boycotted the vote. It had pushed for a revision in favour of the vice-president being jointly elected with the president, rather than appointed.

The party also sought a constitutional provision that reflects the linguistic split between English and French-speaking regions. The SDF wanted the nation’s top two posts to be shared between Cameroon’s two communities, which was the position before 1972.

“This constitutional reform could have been a moment of political courage, but it is nothing less than a missed historic opportunity,” SDF chairman Joshua Osih said.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerians Expect Everything Free, Roads And Light, But Don’t Want To Pay Tax — Minister Wike

Published

on

 

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has highlighted the ongoing challenges of tax collection, pointing out the disparity between citizens’ expectations and the reality of government revenue.

Speaking with TVC NEWS live, he stressed that while Nigerians expect quality infrastructure and services, there is widespread reluctance to contribute through taxes.

On the difficulty of generating revenue, Wike said: “To collect tax, you know it’s not an easy thing. I don’t know how many of you here like to pay tax. Nigerians want everything for free. They want road, they want light. It is not easy.”

He further stated; “When I came to Abuja we were about 8, 9 billion. The money we get from the federal government is 1% of the allocation of federal government. So if federal government gets 1 trillion for example, they’ll give us one percent which is ten billion naira and that cannot carry the society. Our salary in a month is not less than 12–13 billion, so we must augment. How do we augment?”

Addressing public criticism, he added: “There’s no ab¥se that any politician has received than me. I think after the president, I’m the highest ab¥sed. There’s nothing we do that we won’t get ab¥sed. Well, what is important to me is that I want to be concentrated to do the job.”

On oversight and accountability, Wike explained how closely he monitors the finances: “The money we have gotten from tax challenge me, minister FCT, what are you doing? I’ll show you as I sit here.”

Continue Reading

Trending