Business
China’s central bank says opens up $70.6 bn in liquidity to boost market
China’s central bank boosted support for markets on Thursday as it launched a “swap facility” offering firms access to $70.6 billion in liquidity as Beijing seeks to raise confidence in the country’s flagging economy.
The programme will allow “qualified… companies to exchange bonds, stock ETFs, CSI 300 constituent stocks and other assets with the People’s Bank of China for high-grade liquid assets such as treasury bonds and central bank bills”, the bank said.
“The scale of the first phase of the operation is 500 billion yuan and can be further expanded depending on the situation,” it added.
“Starting today, applications from qualified securities, funds and insurance companies will be accepted.”
Announcing the plans last month, People’s Bank of China chief Pan Gongsheng said the move would “significantly enhance” firms’ ability to access funds to buy stocks.
The world’s second-largest economy has struggled to regain its footing since the lifting of pandemic measures at the end of 2022.
It faces multiple issues including a prolonged debt crisis in the property sector, chronically low consumption and high unemployment among young people.
In response, Beijing last month unveiled its most aggressive stimulus package in years.
The PBoC slashed interest on one-year loans to financial institutions, cut the amount of cash lenders must keep on hand and pushed to lower rates on existing mortgages.
Several major cities — including Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen — have also further eased restrictions on buying homes, and top officials including Premier Li Qiang have called for more effective implementation of the slate of measures.
The announcements triggered a blistering rally on stock markets on the mainland and in Hong Kong.
However, investor sentiment cooled after a news conference Tuesday by the country’s top economic planning agency that failed to unveil any more stimulus or provide details on the measures already announced.
Zheng Shanjie, head of the National Development and Reform Commission, said only that Beijing was “fully confident in achieving the goals of economic and societal development for the year”.
He added that “we are also fully confident in maintaining stable, healthy and sustainable development”.
Analysts have warned that more direct state support is needed to boost consumption and achieve the government’s official national growth target of about five percent for this year.
More may be in the offing on Saturday, when finance minister Lan Fo’an is set to hold a briefing on fiscal policy in Beijing.
Authorities said Wednesday that Lan will outline “countercyclical adjustment of fiscal policy to promote high-quality economic development”.
Business
Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG
The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks
“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.
The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.
If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.
Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country
Business
Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers
The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.
The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.
The statement read
“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.
The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.
This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.
Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”
Business
CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.
According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.
The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.
“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.
The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.
The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.
“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.
The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.
“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.
“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.
Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.
The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
