Politics
Italian PM Meloni calls Israel’s attack on UNIFIL bases in Lebanon ‘unacceptable’
The Italian government formally protested against Israeli authorities, reiterating that what is happening near the base of the Italian UNIFIL contingent in southern Lebanon is not acceptable.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni had a telephone conversation with the commander of the UN peacekeeping mission’s Western Sector, General Stefano Messina, according to a statement from Palazzo Chigi.
She reportedly received an update on the situation on the ground after the UNIFIL headquarters and two Italian bases were struck “repeatedly” and “deliberately” by the Israeli army on Thursday morning.
Meloni expressed her and her government strong support of the Italian military engaged in Lebanon as part of the UNIFIL mission.
“Italians continue to provide valuable work for the stabilisation of the area, in adherence to the UN mandate,” the statement concludes.
Israel’s ambassador to Italy was summoned by the government following the news.
Acts could constitute war crimes, says Italian defence minister
“This is not a mistake, this is not an accident,” said Italy’s defence minister Guido Crosetto in a press conference at Palasso Chigi.
“UNIFIL has urged all actors involved to cease fire immediately,” he added, stressing that the hostile acts being carried out “could constitute war crimes” or at least “unjustified violations.”
Crosetto also specified that there were no injuries amongst the Italian peacekeepers, but that what happened in Lebanon was “totally unacceptable.”
He went on to say that “There is no justification for saying that the Israeli armed forced had warned UNIFIL that some of the bases had to be left.
I told the ambassador to tell the Israeli government that the United Nations and Italy cannot take orders from the Israeli government.”
The harsh critique was expressed by Crosetto to his Israeli counterpart Yoav Gallant in a telephone conversation and then reiterated to the Israeli ambassador in Rome, who was summoned to the ministry.
Meeting of UNIFIL mission countries called
The Defence Minister explained that he had contacted his Israeli colleague early in the morning “to protest with him and remind him firmly” that what is happening near the Italian UNIFIL bases and towards the UN mission contingent “is unacceptable to the Italian government”.
“Although I have received assurances on the utmost attention to the safety of military personnel,” he added, “I have reiterated that any possible act that could put soldiers, both Italian and UNIFIL’s, at risk must be averted.”
Crosetto stressed that the situation is currently under control and that the safety of the Italian military personnel deployed in Lebanon remains an absolute priority for the entire Italian government, so that the Italian peacekeepers can continue their work of mediation and support for peace and stability in Lebanon and the entire region.
Together with French Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu, Crosetto called for a meeting of the countries contributing to the UN peacekeeping mission (France, Italy, Spain and Ireland) next week .
UNIFIL must move 5km north, says Israeli ambassador to UN
After the attack on UNIFIL positions in which two peacekeepers were wounded, the only comment that came from Israel was that of its ambassador to the UN Danny Danon.
He called for the peacekeeping troops to move five kilometres north.
“We are focused on the fight against Hezbollah and will continue coordination with UNIFIL, but our recommendation is that UNIFIL move five kilometres north to avoid danger as the fighting intensifies and while the situation along the Blue Line remains unstable due to Hezbollah aggression,” he said.
The request was rejected.
To Al Jazeera, UNIFIL spokesperson Andrea Tenenti explained that the Israeli forces had previously asked UN forces to “move from some positions along the Blue Line (the demarcation line between Israel and Lebanon), but we decided to stay because it is important that the UN flag flies in southern Lebanon”.
“Targeting peacekeepers is a very serious violation, not only of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, but also of international humanitarian law,” Tenenti said.
On the future of the mission, he stressed that “if the situation makes it impossible to operate in southern Lebanon it will be up to the Security Council to decide how to proceed”.
“At the moment we are staying, we are trying to do everything we can to monitor and provide assistance,” he added.
Politics
FEDERAL HIGH COURT STOPS INEC FROM RESTRICTING DEFECTION TO ANOTHER PARTY AFTER CONTESTING PRIMARY
Here is the judgement from the Federal High Court, Abuja today
1. INEC can only monitor 2027 primaries but cannot fix timetable for when a political party should conduct its primaries for this election
2. INEC cannot give a shorter timeframe or abridge the period in which a political party can provide information of their candidates for 2027 election
3. INEC cannot give a shorter timeframe to political parties as regards withdrawal or replacement of candidates (Placeholders)
4. INEC cannot publish any final list of candidates for 2027 elections before 60 days to election.
5. INEC cannot fix 2027 campaigns to end 2 days to elections.
6. This is AN ORDER nullifying and setting aside the timeframes imposed by INEC for 2027 General Election for:
– the conduct of primary elections by political parties for the 2027 general elections
– the submission of personal particulars of candidates by their political parties for the 2027 general elections
– the withdrawal and replacement of candidates by political parties
– the publication of the final list of candidates for the 2027 general elections and campaigning.

Is this a trap or a game changer for some aspirants???
Politics
Fubara To Contest Rivers Governorship Seat Under NDC
A Rivers State politician, Blessing Fubara, has declared his intention to contest the 2027 governorship election in Rivers State under the platform of the Nigeria Democratic Congress.
The politician has already obtained both the nomination and expression of interest forms needed to participate in the governorship race ahead of the 2027 election.
Blessing Fubara shares the same surname and local government area with the current Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara.
Both men are from Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area. However, there has been no confirmation that they are family members.
The Chairman of the NDC in Rivers State, Success Jack, confirmed that Blessing Fubara is among those seeking the party’s governorship ticket.
He also stated that he could not confirm whether the governorship aspirant is related to Governor Siminalayi Fubara.
According to him, the party is preparing seriously for the 2027 general elections and hopes to win not only the governorship seat but other elective positions in Rivers State.
The development comes weeks after Blessing Fubara left the All Progressives Congress and joined the NDC.
Following his defection in Abuja, he was received by former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, alongside other leaders and members of the party.
After joining the NDC, Blessing Fubara said his decision was taken for the interest of Rivers people.
He also stated that the future of the state must be protected ahead of the next general election, expressing confidence that the state would experience positive changes after the 2027 polls.
Politics
Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Lagos Assembly Primaries, Cites Intimidation
Surulere I lawmaker Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress Lagos House of Assembly primaries, citing intimidation across multiple zones.
In a viral video posted online, the lawmaker said he was stepping out of the race despite seeking re-election under the APC. He alleged that his supporters faced intimidation during the process in several parts of the constituency.
Elliot’s decision came as the primaries held across Lagos on Tuesday. Chief of Staff to the President Femi Gbajabiamila, who represents Surulere Federal Constituency, praised the conduct of the exercise in Surulere, describing it as peaceful.
The withdrawal narrows the contest for the APC ticket in Surulere I ahead of the 2027 general election. Party officials in Lagos have not yet responded to Elliot’s claims, and the APC state chapter has not announced whether the primary in the constituency will proceed with other aspirants.
Elliot has represented Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly since 2015.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/DYkCaAiMxxt/?igsh=ZWw5czl6MHJhNnRy
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
