Connect with us

Business

Nigeria to launch US diaspora bond, targets $1bn monthly remittances

Published

on

CBN GOVERNOR

Olayemi Cardoso, governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), says the country is considering launching a diaspora bond in the United States as part of its strategy to achieve monthly remittance inflows of $1bn.

Cardoso disclosed this during an interview with Reuters on Thursday, held on the sidelines of the ongoing IMF/World Bank autumn meetings in Washington, DC.

He noted that Nigerians abroad are keen to invest and have already more than doubled the remittances they send home since the current government began implementing sweeping reforms last year.

“As a result, a diaspora bond in the United States, which is home to the largest concentration of Nigerians overseas, could be on the horizon in 2025.

“They really want to invest… beyond just financially,” Cardoso said of Nigerians abroad. “Our currency has now become extremely competitive and cheap, so they see the opportunity of taking positions in assets and businesses back home.”

Under the leadership of President Bola Tinubu, Nigeria has been addressing significant economic challenges, including a backlog of foreign exchange payments and high fuel subsidy costs.

Remittance flows rose to $600m in September, up from $250m per month earlier this year, and Cardoso is optimistic about reaching the ambitious goal of $1bn per month.

“I would be surprised if we are not there by this time next year,” he added, emphasising the positive outlook for remittance inflows as Nigeria seeks to strengthen its ties with its diaspora.

On August 15, the Federal Government launched its first-ever dollar-denominated domestic bond, with subscriptions starting at $1,000 per unit for interested investors on August 20.

The Finance Minister, Wale Edun, who is also in Washington, DC, told investors on Wednesday that the $500m domestic bond was oversubscribed, raising over $900m with a subscription rate exceeding 180 per cent.

Edun stated that this successful capital raise demonstrates continued investor confidence in Nigeria’s economic stability and growth prospects.

“The IMF advised us against issuing dollar bonds domestically. We proceeded and were 100 per cent oversubscribed, but we still valued their viewpoint and took it into account,” he said.

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers

Published

on

 

The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.

The statement read

“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.

The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.

This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.

Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”

Continue Reading

Business

CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.

Published

on

 

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.

According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.

The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.

“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.

The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.

The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.

“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.

The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.

“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.

“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.

Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.

The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.

Continue Reading

Trending