Connect with us

Trending

New Hotel Worker Vanishes With 200k After First Day At Work; Manager Threatens To Invoke Mádness

Published

on

One newly-employed worker in a popular hotel in Awka, the capital city of Anambra state has allegedly fled with a whopping sum of money, amounting to about two hundred thousand naira (N200,000) of her employer after her first day at work.

The Manager of the hotel, who simply identified himself as Ephraim, disclosed this over the week in a social media post which was made available to this reporter. According to him, the lady, who hails from Ebenebe in Awka North Local Government Area of the state, introduced herself as Chinaza, but was identified as Mary Cynthia by Truecaller.

Ephraim recounted that Mary Cynthia began working with the hotel as a waitress on Monday, January 20, while in the early hours of the next day, Tuesday, January 21, she made away with about N200,000 received from customers.

ALSO READ:  Abia Government Confirms Mpox in State, Issues Directives to all Residents He revealed that the suspect, while leaving, left her handbag behind and told them that she was rushing out to collect money from one of her debtors waiting for her outside the premises, only to disappear from there, without returning.

Ephraim further noted that Mary Cynthia left without preparing or rendering account of her service for the period she had worked, as her colleagues anticipated her return as she assured, which never happened since then. Continuing, he said since then, Cynthia has stopped picking his calls and even went to the extent of blocking his number and that of the person who suretied her for the employment.

ALSO READ:  Reps Commends Alex Otti For Restoring Security, Dismantling Criminal Hideouts at Lokpanta Cattle Market “These days, her phone number — 07040194336 — is regularly switched off.

Even whenever it rings, immediately she notices that the call is about the crime she committed, she will immediately end the call and block the number,” he said. When asked the content of the handbag the suspect left before leaving, the Hotel Manager said “When we eventually searched the bag, the only thing we found there was an earring.” Continuing, the Hotel Manager, who will be rendering account by the end of the month, said he had made several efforts and explored diplomatic approaches to connect with Cynthia since then and retrieve the stolen money from her before the, which all proved abortive.

ALSO READ:  5yr old girl cru$hed to d€ath crossing Expressway in Lagos He, however, threatened to visit a native doctor and strike the suspect with madness or any deadly chronic disease anytime soon if she fails to return the money on or before Sunday, January 26. “Anybody who knows her should reach out to her through her phone number: 07040194336 , and tell her to return the entire money she stole, for her own life.

“This is because, as from Monday, January 27, if anything strange begins to happen to her, people should know where her misfortune is coming from,” the Hotel Manager warned.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending