Connect with us

Trending

Popular holiday island on red alert amid growing series of earthquakes

Published

on

Aseries of earthquakes near the Greek island of Santorini have led authorities to shut down schools, dispatch rescue teams with sniffer dogs and send instructions to residents including a request to drain their swimming pools.

Even though earthquake experts say the more than 200 tremors that have hit the area since early Friday are not related to the volcano in Santorini, which once produced one of the biggest eruptions in human history, locals are on edge.

The strongest earthquake recorded was magnitude 4.6 at 3.55pm on Sunday, at a depth of 14 kilometers (9 miles), the Athens Geodynamic institute said. A few tremors of over magnitude 4 and dozens of magnitude 3 have followed. There were no reports of damage or casualties.

Earthquake experts and officials from the Ministry of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection and the fire service have been meeting daily and decided to close schools Monday on the island of Santorini as well as nearby Amorgos, Anafi and Ios.

After Sunday’s meeting, they also advised residents and hotel owners in Santorini to drain their swimming pools over concerns that large volumes of water could destabilize buildings in case of a strong quake.

Another meeting was scheduled Sunday evening at the prime minister’s office with the chief of Greece‘s armed forces and other officials.

The fire service sent a contingent of rescuers including a sniffer dog on Saturday, and dispatched more forces Sunday, as a precaution. The rescuers have pitched tents in open fields.

Island residents have been advised to avoid large open-air events and to move about the islands mindful of rockfalls. All four islands have steep cliffs and, in the case of Santorini, a large part on the main town is built on a cliffside.

The picturesque volcanic island of Santorini, home to a tiny permanent population of approximately 15,500 people, attracted around 3.4 million tourists in 2023 alone

 

A shot of Oia, a coastal town on the northwestern tip of Santorini, famous for its iconic sunsets

 

Experts said it was impossible to predict whether the seismic activity could lead to a stronger tremor, but added that the area could potentially produce a 6 magnitude quake.

Mild earthquakes have also been recorded in Santorini’s volcano caldera, which is mostly undersea, since September. The strongest one with magnitude 3.8 occurred on Jan. 25. Since then, seismic activity inside the volcano has subsided, experts say.

The Santorini volcano eruption at about 1600 B.C. devastated the island, buried a town, and caused massive earthquakes and flooding that impacted the island of Crete and as far as Egypt. Experts estimate that up to 41.3 cubic kilometers (9.8 cubic miles) of rocks were ejected and 9-meter (29-foot) tsunamis hit Crete.

In the 1990s, the Santorini volcano was designated one of 16 volcanoes around the world that need to monitored because of past massive eruptions and proximity to dense population areas.

Athens, Feb 2, 2025 (AFP) – Greece’s tourist island of Santorini on Sunday braced for the prospect of more tremors after more than 200 small earthquakes shook the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history, prompting authorities to order school closures.

Some 200 minor earthquakes were recorded in the sea and surrounding islands in just 48 hours, with the strongest, of magnitude 4.6, striking the waters between Santorini and Amorgos on Sunday afternoon.

The spate prompted Greece’s civil protection late on Saturday to order schools closed down into Monday, while tents sprang up to house rescue teams sent to the island in response.

Authorities and experts said the tremors were triggered by tectonic rather than volcanic activity – dampening fears of a destructive eruption.

But with the surrounding seas home to several significant fault lines in the Earth’s crust, the possibility of a stronger earthquake to come could not be ruled out, said Kostas Papazachos, Professor of Geophysics at Thessaloniki Aristotle University.

“That is why there are some precautionary measures in place, precisely to limit the impact of a stronger earthquake,” Papazachos told ERTNews on Sunday morning.

“When you have a sequence next to you that is so vivid, so intense, you have to be a bit careful, precisely because there is always the risk of that happening.”

Greek authorities called for citizens to avoid large gatherings in enclosed spaces and stay away from certain ports of Santorini, derelict buildings and empty swimming pools of their water.

In case of a strong tremor, all citizens are called to get to high ground as far inland as possible.

The same measures are likewise in place for the neighbouring small islands like Amorgos.

Greece’s fire service in the southern Aegean Sea region was on general alert, while a rescue service team with a search dog, helicopter, drones was already at the scene.

An emergency meeting was scheduled for Sunday afternoon chaired by Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Santorini is one of the most popular Greek islands with tourists. It has a population of just 15,500 but welcomed 3.4 million visitors in 2023, raising concerns over overtourism.

ATHENS, Feb 2 (Reuters) – Greek authorities have warned of an increase in seismic activity around the Aegean tourist island of Santorini, advising people to avoid four ports, empty their pools, refrain from gathering in indoor spaces and shut schools on Monday.

More than 200 tremors have been registered since Friday between the volcanic islands of Santorini and Amorgos, the civil protection ministry said in a statement on Sunday, citing experts tasked with assessing earthquake risks and monitoring Greece’s volcanic arc.

The experts, according to the ministry, have concluded that the tremors are not linked with volcanic activity and have proposed precautionary measures including the Feb. 3 school closures, which have been extended to the islands of Amorgos, Ios and Anafi.

They have urged people on Santorini to stay away from the small ports of Ammoudi, Armeni, Korfos and the harbour of Fira, which serves mainly cruise ships. Many of Santorini’s ports are surrounded by sheer rock faces.

In Athens, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis chaired an emergency meeting on the issue, as Santorini authorities prepared for a potential evacuation.

Tents were set up in an outdoor stadium, police and the fire brigade were on alert and special disaster response units were on standby.

Greece sits on multiple fault lines and is often rattled by earthquakes.

Costas Papazachos, a professor of geophysics and seismology, who went to Santorini to assess the situation, said the measures were precautionary and the worst-case scenario was an earthquake measuring 6.0 or more.

“This does not necessarily mean that there will be a strong earthquake, it may well be that the thermal energy dissipates and we have a smaller earthquake in Santorini… But we have to take measures,” he told the Greek website protothema.gr

Santorini, with whitewashed buildings clinging to its steep cliffs and black-sand beaches, is visited by about 3 million people annually.

One of the largest volcanic eruptions in history, around 1600 BC, formed the island in its current shape. The last eruption in the area occurred in 1950. (Reporting by Renee Maltezou Editing by Sharon Singleton and Ros Russell)

Read more

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending