Politics
Europe can defeat Russia in any conflict, EU leaders tell Zelensky
Europe is able to defeat Russia in any kind of conflict and will beat Vladimir Putin in his new arms race, Poland‘s Prime Minister reassured Volodymyr Zelensky as EU leaders gathered to meet the Ukrainian President for ‘watershed’ talks in Brussels.
‘Europe as a whole is truly capable of winning any military, financial, economic confrontation with Russia – we are simply stronger,’ Donald Tusk said ahead of the summit. ‘We just had to start believing in it. And today it seems to be happening.’
The Polish leader warned that Vladimir Putin had started ‘a new arms race’ that has left Europe with no choice but to prepare itself for war.
‘Europe must be ready for this race, and Russia will lose it like the Soviet Union 40 years ago,’ he wrote on X. ‘From today, Europe will arm itself more wisely and faster than Russia.’
His comments came as EU leaders hold a day of emergency talks in a bid to beef up their own security and ensure that Ukraine’s defence, as the allies face the prospect of being cut adrift by US President Donald Trump.
Zelensky has expressed his gratitude to EU leaders for standing by Ukraine’s side, with the summit less than a week after he attended an explosive meeting with Trump at the White House.
He received warm welcomes from most leaders at today’s gathering – a stark contrast with the verbal lashing the Ukrainian president got from Trump.
‘I want to thank all our European leaders,’ Zelensky said. ‘Strong support from the very beginning of the war. During all this period, and last week, you stayed with us.’
Since the Oval Office showdown, Washington has suspended the military aid and intelligence sharing that has helped Kyiv fight off Russia’s invasion.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky (L) meets France’s President Emmanuel Macron on the sidelines of the Special European Council to discuss continued support for Ukraine

EU Council President Antonio Costa, Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen talk to the press as they arrive for an European Council meeting in Brussels

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a cabinet meeting in Moscow, on March 5

A Ukrainian rescuer works to extinguish a fire in a building following a Russian attack at an undisclosed location in Odesa region
Today’s crisis talks involving members of the 27-nation bloc come amid fears that the Trump administration is making huge concessions to Russia and freezing Ukraine out of negotiations to end the war.
Friedrich Merz, the likely next chancellor of Germany, and summit chairman Antonio Costa discussed over breakfast in Brussels ways to fortify Europe’s defenses on a short deadline.
Merz pushed plans this week to loosen the nation’s rules on running up debt to allow for higher defense spending.
Meanwhile, the EU was waking up to news that French President Emmanuel Macron would confer with EU leaders about the possibility of using France‘s nuclear deterrent to protect the continent from Russian threats.
It all underscored the sea change that has taken place in the two months since Trump took office and immediately started upending the cornerstones of cooperation between the United States and Europe that had been the bedrock of Western security since World War II.
‘Spend, spend, spend on defense and deterrence. That’s. the most important message,’ said Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen.
The call is a sharp departure from decades of decline in military spending in Europe, where defense often came last in many budgetary considerations.
The bloc will ‘take decisive steps forward,’ Macron told the French nation Wednesday evening.
‘Member states will be able to increase their military spending’ and ‘massive joint funding will be provided to buy and produce some of the most innovative munitions, tanks, weapons and equipment in Europe,’ he said.
He added that ‘Europe’s future does not have to be decided in Washington or Moscow.’

Zelensky is desperately trying to repair relations with Mr Trump after their extraordinary White House bust-up (pictured)
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has proposed a plan to loosen budget rules so countries that are willing can spend much more on defense. Her proposal is underpinned by 150 billion euros ($162 billion) worth of loans to buy priority military equipment.
Most of the increased defense spending would have to come from national budgets at a time when many countries are already overburdened with debt.
Part of von der Leyen’s plan includes measures to ensure struggling member states won’t be punished for going too deep in the red if the spending is earmarked for defense.
‘Europe faces a clear and present danger, and therefore Europe has to be able to protect itself, to defend itself,’ she said.
France is struggling to reduce an excessive annual budget deficit of 5 per cent of GDP, after running up its total debt burden to 112 per cent of GDP with spending on relief for businesses and consumers during the COVID-19 pandemic and the energy crisis that followed Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

A view from the damaged site after the Russian missile strike on Kryvyi Rih

A fire burns in a destroyed building following a Russian missile strike, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine, in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine March 5, 2025
Five other countries using the euro currency have debt levels over 100% of GDP: Belgium, Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal.
Europe’s largest economy, Germany, has more room to borrow, with a debt level of 62 per cent of GDP.
Part of any security plan is also to protect the increasingly beleaguered position of Ukraine.
A Russian missile killed four people staying at a hotel in Zelenskyy’s hometown overnight.
He said that a humanitarian organization’s volunteers had moved into the hotel in Kryvyi Rih, in central Ukraine, just before the strike.
The volunteers included Ukrainian, American and British nationals, but it wasn’t clear whether those people were among the 31 injured.
Early this week, Trump ordered a pause to US military supplies to Ukraine as he sought to press Zelenskyy to engage in negotiations to end the war with Russia, bringing fresh urgency to Thursday’s summit.
Thursday’s meeting is unlikely to address Ukraine’s most pressing needs. It is not aimed at urgently drumming up more arms and ammunition to fill any supply vacuum created by the US freeze. Nor will all nations agree to unblock the estimated 183 billion euros ($196 billion) in frozen Russian assets held in a Belgian clearing house, a pot of ready cash that could be seized.
Still, the Europeans underlined the importance of the moment.
‘This is a watershed moment for Europe and Ukraine as part of our European family. It’s also a watershed moment for Ukraine,’ von der Leyen said, as she stood alongside Zekenskyy before striding together into the summit.
But perhaps the biggest challenge for the EU will be taking a united stance at a moment when it’s fractured, since much of the bloc’s actions requires unanimous support. Hungary is threatening to veto part of the summit statement on Ukraine, as is Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico.
‘We have to take decisions no matter the one or two which are opposing every time,’ said Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda. ‘Otherwise history will penalize us and we will pay a very high cost.’
Thursday’s summit is unlikely to produce immediate decisions on spending for Ukraine or its own defenses.
Another EU summit where the real contours of decisions would be much clearer is set for March 20-21.
Politics
Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Lagos Assembly Primaries, Cites Intimidation
Surulere I lawmaker Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress Lagos House of Assembly primaries, citing intimidation across multiple zones.
In a viral video posted online, the lawmaker said he was stepping out of the race despite seeking re-election under the APC. He alleged that his supporters faced intimidation during the process in several parts of the constituency.
Elliot’s decision came as the primaries held across Lagos on Tuesday. Chief of Staff to the President Femi Gbajabiamila, who represents Surulere Federal Constituency, praised the conduct of the exercise in Surulere, describing it as peaceful.
The withdrawal narrows the contest for the APC ticket in Surulere I ahead of the 2027 general election. Party officials in Lagos have not yet responded to Elliot’s claims, and the APC state chapter has not announced whether the primary in the constituency will proceed with other aspirants.
Elliot has represented Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly since 2015.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/DYkCaAiMxxt/?igsh=ZWw5czl6MHJhNnRy
Politics
Political Shockwave in Rivers as Fubara Pulls Out of APC Governorship Race, Backs Party’s Candidate
Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has officially withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primaries scheduled to take place on Thursday, a development that has stirred fresh political conversations across the state.
The governor announced his decision in a personally signed statement titled “My Decision to Withdraw from the Rivers State Gubernatorial Primaries,” which was released on Wednesday night.
In the statement, Fubara explained that his withdrawal followed wide consultations with political associates, stakeholders, and supporters. He stated that the decision was taken in the overall interest of peace, unity, and stability within the APC and Rivers State at large.
According to the governor, politics should not be allowed to divide the people or create unnecessary tension within the party. He stressed that preserving unity among party members and maintaining stability in the state remain more important than personal political ambition.
Fubara further pledged his total loyalty and support to whoever eventually emerges as the APC governorship candidate, assuring party faithful that he remains committed to the success and progress of the party ahead of the next general elections.
The Rivers governor also appreciated his supporters across the state for standing by him throughout the political process. He thanked party leaders, youth groups, women supporters, and political associates who had continued to show him solidarity and encouragement.
He urged his supporters not to see his withdrawal as the end of his political journey, but rather as a decision made in the collective interest of the party and the state. He also appealed to them to remain peaceful, united, and committed to the ideals of the APC.
Political observers have described the development as one of the biggest political surprises in Rivers State in recent times, especially considering the growing speculations and intense political alignments ahead of the governorship primaries.
Analysts believe the governor’s withdrawal may reshape the political calculations within the APC and influence the direction of the party’s governorship race moving forward.
The announcement has continued to generate mixed reactions from political stakeholders and residents across Rivers State. While some supporters described the move as strategic and mature, others expressed surprise over the governor’s sudden exit from the contest.
Several party faithful, however, commended Fubara for placing party unity and stability above personal ambition, noting that his decision may help reduce internal tensions and strengthen the APC ahead of the elections.
The development has also intensified attention on the remaining aspirants contesting for the APC governorship ticket, as consultations and political meetings continue ahead of the primary election.
Many observers believe the governor’s endorsement of the eventual APC candidate could play a major role in shaping the outcome of the party’s governorship battle and future political structure in the state.
As political activities continue to gather momentum in Rivers State, all eyes are now on the APC primaries and the next phase of political developments expected to unfold in the coming days.
Politics
Ugochukwu Obodo wins Owerri Municipal APC ticket again as APC Elects 27 Imo Assembly Candidates After Successful Primaries
The leadership and members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Imo State have successfully elected 27 candidates who emerged victorious during the recently concluded Imo State House of Assembly primary elections conducted across the 305 wards of the State.
In a statement obtained by ThePressman Newspaper, the leadership of Imo APC described the primary election exercise as peaceful, transparent, credible, and reflective of the democratic ideals and internal cohesion of the party.
The information from the party commended party faithful, delegates, stakeholders, and supporters for their maturity, discipline, unity, and sportsmanship throughout the electoral process, noting that the successful conduct of the primaries further demonstrated the organizational strength and readiness of the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.
According to the statement, the outcome of the primaries reaffirmed the confidence reposed in the party by members across the State, while also positioning the APC for a formidable outing in the forthcoming elections.
The Imo APC leadership warmly congratulated the party’s standard bearers who emerged across the 27 State Constituencies, namely:
Uchenna Osigwe – Orsu LGA
Chantel Adanna Onwumere – Ikeduru
Obodo Ugochukwu – Owerri Municipal
Hon. Ernest Udeze – Ideato North
Godspower Onyeibe – Ideato South
Mrs Julie Egbo – Owerri North
Rt. Hon. Kanayo Onyemaechi – Owerri West
Prince Marcel Amadioha – Ohaji Egbema
Hon. Gilbert Nwosu – Oguta
Hon. Uche Obiozor – Oru East
Hon. Emeka Agbor – Oru West
Rt. Hon. Obinna Egu – Ngor-Okpala
Hon. Magnus Okolie – Orlu
Hon. Innocent Ikpamezie – Mbaitoli
Hon. Modestus Osakwe – Isu
Hon.Ebonine Ozioma Worship – Njaba
Rt Hon Amarachi Chyna Iwuanyanwu – Nwangele
Hon. Chisom Ojukwu – Nkwerre
Hon. Doris Anyanwu – Ahiazu Mbaise
Hon. Princewill Amuchie – Aboh Mbaise
Hon. Henry Agbasonu – Ezinihitte Mbaise
Hon. Sam Osuji – Isiala Mbano
Ben Ozoemenam – Ehime Mbano
Hon. Emeka Okoronkwo – Okigwe
Prince Humphrey Okeke – Obowo
Lady Blessing Nwoba – Ihitte-Uboma
Hon. Chibuzor Umunnakwe – Onuimo
The party further expressed confidence that the emergence of the candidates would strengthen the APC’s chances of securing victory across the State during the 2027 general elections.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
