Connect with us

Health

Pope Francis health update: Questions raised over future of his papacy

Published

on

Pope Francis‘s recovery from double pneumonia in hospital is entering its fourth week, with questions being raised about what the future of his papacy might look like.

The pontiff followed the opening of a spiritual retreat by videoconference yesterday, but could not be seen or heard by priests, bishops and cardinals in the Vatican auditorium.

The Pope remains in Rome’s Gemelli hospital, where he was admitted on February 14, ahead of the 12th anniversary of his election on Thursday.

In its early update Monday, the Vatican said Francis was resting after a quiet night.

At the time of his hospitalization last month, the 88-year-old pope, who has chronic lung disease and had part of one lung removed as a young man, had what was then just a bad case of bronchitis.

The infection progressed into a complex respiratory tract infection and double pneumonia that has sidelined Francis for the longest period of his papacy and prompted questions about the future.

He has remained in stable condition for over a week, with no fever, respiratory crises and good oxygen levels in his blood for several days, doctors reported.

The doctors said that such stability was in itself a positive thing and showed he was responding well to therapy.

But they kept his prognosis as ‘guarded,’ meaning that he’s not out of danger. Doctors were expected to provide a medical update later Monday.

The pontiff followed the opening of a spiritual retreat by videoconference yesterday, but could not be seen or heard (file image)

 

Faithful attend a Rosary prayer for the health of Pope Francis who is hospitalized with pneumonia, in St. Peter’s Square, Vatican City, March 9

 

A statement on the Pope’s X account yesterday read: ‘I think of the many people who find various ways to be close to the sick, becoming a sign of the Lord’s presence for them.

‘We need this ‘miracle of tenderness’ to accompany those who face adversity, in order to bring a little light into the night of pain.’

The Vatican will mark the pontiff’s election anniversary in his absence, making it the first anniversary celebration with him out of sight.

Francis was elected the 266th pope, the first Jesuit pope and first from Latin America, on March 13, 2013 following the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI.

On Sunday, Francis met with Cardinal Pietro Parolin and the chief of staff, Archbishop Edgar Pena Parra, for the third time at the hospital.

Such meetings are the routine way the pope governs, and shows Francis is still keeping up with essential business.

While Francis has previously praised Benedict for his courage and humility in resigning, he has indicated more recently that he believes the job of pope is for life and said as recently as last year that he had no plans of stepping down.

The Pope remains in Rome’s Gemelli hospital, where he was admitted on February 14. Pictured: Faithful, priests and nuns pray outside yesterday

 

Francis has been using high flows of supplemental oxygen to help him breathe during the day and a noninvasive mechanical ventilation mask at night.

The Vatican is currently observing a weeklong spiritual retreat, with the Pope listening to the opening by the Rev. Roberto Pasolini from his hospital room yesterday.

Pasolini delivered a meditation on ‘The hope of eternal life,’ a theme that was chosen well before Francis was admitted.

The retreat, which is an annual gathering that kicks off the Catholic Church’s solemn Lenten season leading to Easter, continues through the week.

The Vatican has said Francis would participate ‘in spiritual communion’ with the rest of the hierarchy, from afar.

Read more

Health

I’ve Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer – Blessing CEO Confirms Cancer Battle, Solicits Financial Help (Video)

Published

on

Nigerian social media influencer and self-proclaimed relationship expert, Blessing CEO, has shared an update regarding her health.

In a post on her Instagram page, the relationship coach revealed that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer and that doctors have recommended urgent surgery to remove one or both breasts to stop the disease from spreading.

She explained that making the decision to undergo surgery was very difficult, describing the emotional toll and challenges she faces.

She also disclosed that her resources have been stretched, prompting her to seek financial help to cover the cost of the operation.

This development follows her earlier announcement that she would sell some of her personal belongings, including her car, wigs, and Lagos mansion, to raise funds for treatment.

She shared an account number in the video to receive contributions and asked her followers to support her in any way they can.

She said: “My name is Okoro Blessing Nkiruka and I’m popularly known as Blessing CEO. I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. At this point, an urgent surgery is needed for amputation to stop the spread or to know how far the spread has gone.

“If they’re taking off one of the breasts or both of it, trust me, it was a very hard decision to come here. But the truth is, when predicaments like this come for you, you become powerless. I might not be able to do anything, work, influence, resources has gone into this.

“And that’s why I’m here pleading. If I have ever touched you before, if my words have ever shown any positive in your life, if you ever say Blessing CEO I love you, this is the time to show it.

“Thank you so much for the love. My phone is buzzing. God bless every one of you. Nothing is too small. I just want to be fine. Thank you so much. I’m going to put an account number on this video, hoping to start up the surgery as fast as possible. Thank you so much to those of you who reposted, shared. God bless every one of you.

“Thank you so much. I love you guys. I need all the love, all the advice I’ve given to you guys. You’re going to have to give it back to me. Thank you so much. Thank you so much. I have never been this clueless all my life.

“I thought I was a jagaban. I thought I was so strong. I thought I was so strong. Being strong is now my biggest weakness. Thank you so much. God bless you.”

Continue Reading

Health

Jehovah’s Witnesses Review Blood Transfusion Policy On Members

Published

on

Jehovah’s Witnesses have announced an update on their long-standing position on blood transfusions.

In a video published on the group’s official website on Friday, the church stated that members are allowed to make personal decisions on the use of their own blood during medical procedures.

A member of the Governing Body, Gerrit Lösch, said the clarification is intended to help adherents navigate medical choices without departing from biblical teachings

The church, however, maintains that the prohibition on receiving another person’s blood still stands.

He explained that while the doctrine requiring Christians to abstain from blood remains unchanged, the scriptures do not directly address the use of one’s own blood in clinical settings.

“Regarding the use of one’s own blood…a Christian must decide for himself how his own blood will be handled in the course of a surgical procedure, medical test, or current therapy,” he said.

According to him, members are now free to decide whether to permit procedures where their blood is temporarily removed, stored, and later returned to the body.

“Some Christians may decide that they would allow their blood to be stored and then be given back to them. Others may object. Each Christian must make his personal decision on all matters involving the use of his own blood with regard to medical or surgical care,” Lösch added.

He noted that practices such as blood testing, dialysis, and the use of heart-lung machines have already been widely accepted among adherents.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigerian MSc Nursing student arrested for fra¥d in India

Published

on

 

Meerut police in Uttar Pradesh have uncovered a major cyber fra¥d racket involving Nigerian students, arresting one suspect, Saifu Mayana Umar, an MSc Nursing student.

Victims across India were reportedly duped with promises of high returns through investments in foreign companies and stock markets. Investigations have linked Umar and his associates, including a Nigerian national named Yusuf, to at least 16 cyber fra¥d cases.

The gang allegedly used an organized network to lure victims, quickly withdrawing transferred funds through multiple bank accounts and ATMs to avoid detection. Authorities have traced transactions totaling approximately ₹45 lakh in Umar’s bank account, connected to cases mainly from southern states.

The probe involved cyber units from Telangana and Tamil Nadu, who coordinated with Meerut police to apprehend Umar from his hostel. During searches, police recovered electronic devices, ATM cards, bank passbooks, a SIM card, a passport, a cheque book, and mobile phones, all sent for forensic examination to trace the wider network.

Investigators noted that one associate attempted to des+roy banking documents, but some financial records were recovered for scrutiny. Transaction details are also being traced to follow international money flows.

During questioning, Umar admitted that some funds in his account were deposited by Yusuf and subsequently withdrawn. Other names have emerged in the investigation, and warrants are being sought, including potential international cooperation.

Umar has since been released on notice, with his passport confiscated and confinement to the university hostel.

Continue Reading

Trending