Connect with us

Trending

Prolonged detentions: IGP’s order will curb abuse of human rights among policemen

Published

on

A human rights group, Save the Poor and Needy Charity Initiative, SPANCI, has declared that the recent order by the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, warning against unlawful and prolonged detentions will curb human rights abuses among policemen across the country.

SPANCI made this declaration via a statement signed by its President, Comrade Yemi Ezekiel Bello, and made available to DAILY POST on Monday.

Ekwutosblog gathered that Egbetokun, in a statement signed by the Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, had warned officers of the Nigeria Police Force against unlawful and prolonged detentions.

Egbetokun, in the statement made available to journalists on Sunday, stressed that any officer found violating constitutional provisions on human rights would face serious consequences.

Bello, while speaking, said that many innocent citizens had been killed unjustly, while some had been unlawfully detained for offences they did not commit.

He insisted that this order by the IGP would help curb human rights abuses among police officers across the country.

Bello, while applauding the IGP for taking a stand against incessant unlawful and prolonged detentions of innocent citizens by some police officers, said that the IGP had done well by warning police officers to respect the fundamental human rights of citizens.

He added that it would be a good thing if police officers across the country complied with the IGP’s order.

He maintained that this would help redeem the image of the Nigerian Police Force, which has been tainted by the unprofessional conduct of some officers.

He said, “The IGP, through the Force PRO, frankly told police officers to respect the fundamental human rights of citizens while carrying out their duties, even during pre-trial detention and that they should respect the rights to dignity of human persons and personal liberty of citizens as enshrined in Sections 34 and 35 of the Nigerian 1999 Constitution, as amended.

“He also warned against violating these fundamental rights and clearly stated that there would be punishment for erring officers.

“We need to acknowledge that the IGP deserves appreciation. Since assuming office, he has been vocal about defending the human rights of citizens, though many violations have still been committed by some of his officers.

“If we stand against violations of fundamental human rights by the police, we should also appreciate the IGP’s efforts in the reorientation of officers and his continuous affirmations on respecting the fundamental human rights of citizens.

“The disregard for these rights has led to the deaths of innocent citizens and the unlawful punishment of others for crimes they did not commit.

“Some officers are power-drunk and habitual abusers of office, which is against their rules of engagement as stipulated in the Police Act 2020, as amended, and the Code of Conduct for Professional Officers.

“It would be a good thing if the police complied with the IGP’s order and the rules of engagement, as this would help redeem the image of the Nigerian Police Force, which has been tainted by the unprofessional conduct of some officers.

“Once again, SPANCI appreciates IGP Egbetokun for his directive to officers to respect the fundamental human rights of citizens. May God help him succeed in his duty.”

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending