Connect with us

News

Is it safe to travel to Thailand and is Bangkok airport open? Latest advice after Myanmar earthquake

Published

on

A7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar at midday local time on 28 March, sending violent tremors across Thailand and as far as China.

The jolt caused a skyscraper to crumble in the Thai capital Bangkok, causing three deaths and leaving 81 people still missing under the rubble.

European governments have updated their travel advice for tourists in Thailand and with upcoming trips. Here’s what you need to know about safety and travel insurance.

State of emergency declared in six regions in Myanmar

The earthquake, whose epicentre was near the city of Mandalay in Myanmar, has caused dozens of buildings to collapse. Its shallow depth of 10 metres amplified the ground-level impact.

A 6.4 magnitude aftershock was also felt 12 minutes later near the city, the US Geological Survey reported, with tremors being felt as far away as Laos, Bangladesh and China.

Footage reportedly filmed inside Mandalay airport shows people running through dust-filled hallways and huddled on the floor outside the building for safety.

In the town of Taungoo in Myanmar, the partial collapse of a mosque killed two people, according to Reuters.

Local media reports that at least two people have died and 20 have been injured after a hotel crumbled in Aungban in the south of the country.

A state of emergency has been declared in six regions and states in Myanmar by authorities. Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

 

There are likely many more casualties across the country, but its volatile political situation under a military-run government means journalists have restricted access and reports from the ground are difficult to verify.

A state of emergency has been declared in six regions and states in Myanmar by authorities.

In Bangkok, the tower block that came down was under construction. A rescue worker said seven people had been found alive but 81 people are still missing.

Authorities have reportedly received 169 calls about damage to buildings in the Thai capital. It has been declared a ‘disaster area’.

Hundreds of residents and tourists have been evacuated to the streets from high-rise buildings and hotels, while there are reports of water sloshing out of swimming pools in several parts of the city.

Is it safe to travel to Thailand?

Thailand is a tourism hotspot which is seeing a spike in visitors after the HBO series The White Lotus was set in a resort in the country.

After the earthquake rocked the capital Bangkok, urban rail and metro systems were temporarily closed and are expected to resume services on Saturday.

Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport was briefly shut down in the immediate aftermath but has now reopened, with flights operating normally. Thailand’s other major airports have not experienced disruption.

Local authorities have advised the public to avoid high-rise buildings, which crowd the densely populated city.

The UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) has updated its travel advice for Thailand.

Hundreds of residents and tourists have been evacuated to the streets from high-rise buildings and hotels Associated Press

 

“If you’re in the area or planning to travel there, follow the advice of the local authorities or your tour operator and monitor local media,” it urges travellers.

Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has updated its security status for Thailand to ‘high degree of caution’.

“We encourage citizens to follow the instructions of local authorities in the event of an emergency,” it has said.

There is also ongoing advice (unrelated to the earthquake) from the FCDO against all but essential travel to parts of south Thailand near the Thailand-Malaysia border.

This includes the Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat Provinces and the southern Songkhla Province south of the A43 road between Hat Yai and Sakom and south of the train line which runs between Hat Yai and Padang Besar.

FCDO also advises against all but essential travel on the Hat Yai to Padang Besar train line that runs through these provinces. This is due to regular attacks in these areas by the border with Malaysia.

Is it safe to travel to Myanmar?

The FCDO has also issued updated advice for travellers in Myanmar, stating that the epicentre is in the Sagaing region near Mandalay, but other areas may also be affected.

“Mandalay airport is reportedly closed. There may be several strong after-shocks.

“If you’re in the area or planning to travel there, follow the advice of the local authorities and monitor local media.”

Am I covered by travel insurance if I go ahead with my trip to Thailand?

The UK foreign office warns that your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against its advice. This means going to areas where it advises against all but essential travel.

As it has not issued a ‘no-go’ warning for earthquake-affected zones, you are not automatically entitled to a refund if you cancel your trip – referred to as ‘disinclination to travel’.

Reimbursement is only likely if your flight is cancelled by the airline or your accommodation is closed due to the earthquake.

If you have booked with a travel agent or tour operator, contact the company directly to understand your options.

“If you are travelling to Thailand over the next few days, speak to your airline or travel operator in the first instance. It may be that some regions of Thailand will be deemed unsafe to travel, in which case airlines will cancel flights, but disruption is likely to be localised so it will depend on which region you are travelling to,” says Ernesto Suarez, CEO of travel insurance providers Gigasure.

 “When disruption is caused by natural disasters or circumstances outside of an airline’s control, passengers are normally allowed to change their booking, but you may not be entitled to any additional compensation.

Some insurance policies include natural disaster cover for an event that prevents travellers from reaching their holiday destination. You should read the terms and conditions carefully and talk to your provider for advice.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

News

Cameroon’s President, Paul Biya Set To Get A Vice President For The First Time In His 43-Year Rule

Published

on

Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, is set to get a vice president for the first time in his four-decade rule, following controversial constitutional changes backed by the parliament.

In a ‌joint session of the ruling party-dominated National Assembly and Senate, lawmakers voted 200 to 18 in favour, with four abstentions, to pass the bill.

The bill stipulates that the vice president will ​automatically assume the presidency if President Paul Biya dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated.

Biya, ​93, has led the Central African country since 1982 and is the world’s oldest serving head of state. Public discussion about ​his health is banned.

According to the legislation, a copy of which was seen by ​Reuters, the vice president will be appointed and dismissed by the president, serving for the remainder of the president’s seven-year term.

However, the interim leader would be prohibited from initiating constitutional changes or ​running in a subsequent election.

Prior to the amendment, the constitution designated the leader of the Senate to briefly take over in case the sitting president d!es or is incapacitated. An election would then be held.

The Social Democratic Front (SDF) party, which has six representatives in parliament, boycotted the vote. It had pushed for a revision in favour of the vice-president being jointly elected with the president, rather than appointed.

The party also sought a constitutional provision that reflects the linguistic split between English and French-speaking regions. The SDF wanted the nation’s top two posts to be shared between Cameroon’s two communities, which was the position before 1972.

“This constitutional reform could have been a moment of political courage, but it is nothing less than a missed historic opportunity,” SDF chairman Joshua Osih said.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerians Expect Everything Free, Roads And Light, But Don’t Want To Pay Tax — Minister Wike

Published

on

 

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has highlighted the ongoing challenges of tax collection, pointing out the disparity between citizens’ expectations and the reality of government revenue.

Speaking with TVC NEWS live, he stressed that while Nigerians expect quality infrastructure and services, there is widespread reluctance to contribute through taxes.

On the difficulty of generating revenue, Wike said: “To collect tax, you know it’s not an easy thing. I don’t know how many of you here like to pay tax. Nigerians want everything for free. They want road, they want light. It is not easy.”

He further stated; “When I came to Abuja we were about 8, 9 billion. The money we get from the federal government is 1% of the allocation of federal government. So if federal government gets 1 trillion for example, they’ll give us one percent which is ten billion naira and that cannot carry the society. Our salary in a month is not less than 12–13 billion, so we must augment. How do we augment?”

Addressing public criticism, he added: “There’s no ab¥se that any politician has received than me. I think after the president, I’m the highest ab¥sed. There’s nothing we do that we won’t get ab¥sed. Well, what is important to me is that I want to be concentrated to do the job.”

On oversight and accountability, Wike explained how closely he monitors the finances: “The money we have gotten from tax challenge me, minister FCT, what are you doing? I’ll show you as I sit here.”

Continue Reading

Trending