Education
Nigerians Govt orders universities, polytechnics to publish budget, others on websites
The Nigerian government has directed all heads of federal universities, polytechnics, colleges of education and other higher institutions to disclose their annual budget and other institutional data for public scrutiny.
The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, gave this directive in a statement released on Saturday by the ministry’s spokesperson, Boriowo Folasade
The minister said that educational institutions should publish their budget breakdown, research grant, Tertiary Education Trust Fund Allocation as well as student population on their official websites.
According to the minister, the move is to enshrine accountability and transparency in Nigeria’s education sector.
“In a bold move to entrench transparency, accountability, and good governance in Nigeria’s tertiary education system, the Honourable Minister of Education Dr Maruf Tunji Alausa has issued comprehensive directive mandating all Federal Vice- Chancellors, Rectors and Provost to publish key institutional data on their official websites with immediate effect. Aligning Nigeria’s higher education management with global best practices.
“Each institution must provide its Annual Budgetary Allocation in full detail, including the breakdown of expenditure across three core areas: personnel cost overhead costs and capital expenditure. In addition,
institutions are to disclose their Research Grant Revenue from the previous year.
“This data should be separated into two distinct sources: grants obtained from domestic bodies such as local industries, government agencies, or foundations; and those received from international sources, including foreign institutions, multilateral organizations, and development partners.
“Also to be displayed is the TETFund Allocation for the current year. The Institutions must clearly show the
total amount received from the TETFund, reflecting financial support for academic and infrastructural development in the present calendar year,” the statement said.
The directive further mandates the institutions to publish the total value of their endowment fund as recorded at the end of the previous year. This figure, which reflects funds donated or invested for the institution’s long-term financial health, must be updated quarterly to ensure currency and transparency.
“Finally, institutions are to present their current Total Student Population, which must be categorized into undergraduate and postgraduate levels, thereby providing a clear picture of enrolment and institutional capacity.
“The Ministry emphasizes that this information must be presented in a clear, accessible, and user-friendly format for public visibility. Websites should be structured in a way that allows the public, including parents, students, and stakeholders, to easily locate and understand these data points.
“All federal institutions are expected to comply fully with this directive and ensure that their websites are completely updated no later than May 31, 2025,” the statement added.
Ekwutosblog had earlier reported that a transparency report described Nigerian universities as a den of impunity and secrecy.
Education
NANS Vows Action Against Sponsored Misinformation Targeting FUTO, Its Leadership
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has vowed to take urgent action against some persons it said are cooking up and sponsoring falsehood against the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) and its leadership.
NANS took the position in a release signed by Comr. Olushola Oladoja, NANS President, and Comr. Nduka Chibueze (Paparazzi), NANS Director of Travel and Exchange, and made available to the media on Saturday.
“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has observed with deep concern the activities of some unscrupulous and mischievous elements who appear to be acting in concert to tarnish the image and credibility of our institution, the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and its leadership through the circulation of false, misleading and malicious information across various online platforms.
“These individuals, whose actions clearly suggest a calculated agenda driven by selfish interests and external influence, have continued to propagate unfounded claims capable of bringing the institution into disrepute and misleading members of the public.
“It is unfortunate that certain persons have chosen to allow themselves to be used as instruments of propaganda and destabilization against an institution that represents the collective pride and aspiration of thousands of students and alumni.
“We wish to state categorically that such coordinated attempts to blackmail, ridicule, or undermine the institution and its leadership will not be tolerated henceforth. The university’s integrity and reputation must not be sacrificed on the altar of personal interest, sponsored misinformation, or politically motivated attacks.
“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) remains committed to protecting the image, unity, and values of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and will continue to resist every desperate attempt aimed at causing disaffection within the institution, using every legitimate mechanism and arsenal within our disposition.
“We have activated the forces of Aluta to identify and expose the charlatans involved. Our aim is to deal with them in a manner that serves the overall interest of our institution. This should act as a deterrent to anyone whose actions are aimed at destroying the institutional reputation we all worked to build. Forewarned is forearmed,” NANS maintained.
Education
NYSC Official Arrested Over Female Corper’s D3ath After Abortion
An official of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Ogun State, Abass Olalekan, has been arrested in connection with the de@th of a female corps member.
The corps member, Victoria Ariyo, serving under the Abeokuta South Local Government Area (LGA) of the NYSC, reportedly d!ed last Tuesday after undergoing abortion.
It was gathered that the corps member had terminated her pregnancy and d!ed from complications that followed the procedure.
Her remains were buried at Kobape Cemetery on Kobape-Sagamu Road in Abeokuta.
According to Daily Trust, Ariyo’s d3ath came barely a month after another female corps member, Adeleye Mary, d!ed in what has been described as mysterious circumstance.
Mary, who was serving under the same Abeokuta South LG, was attached to the Ogun State Television (OGTV) as her Place of Primary Assignment (PPA).
A source told the publication that both deceased corps members were friends.
“The first lady d!ed at her residence, which is not far from her PPA. They found her lifeless body in the apartment and, up till now, nobody can tell the cause of her d3ath,” the source said.
However, the second corps member who d!ed on Tuesday was said to have died from complications arising from an abortion procedure.
It was alleged that the NYSC official, who is the Local Government Inspector (LGI) for Abeokuta South, Abass Olalekan was culpable in the process leading to the corps member’s d3ath.
Sources told the publication that the LGI was allegedly involved in a romantic relationship with the deceased, which eventually led to pregnancy, and it was the termination that led to her d3ath.
“That is the fact in issue,” a police source who confirmed the NYSC official’s arrest told Daily Trust on Thursday.
The police source said the development raises questions about the legality of romancing “someone that should be in your care.”
Confirming Olalekan’s arrest, the source said, “He is in our custody at the command’s headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta.”
The police source, however, said there is no connection between the current incident and the one that occurred last month.
Spokesperson for the police in the state, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, confirmed death of Ariyo and said that the investigation was ongoing.
However, he failed to respond to questions on the arrest of the LGI and the alleged involvement.
“I can confirm that the case of the demise of Victoria Ariyo is under investigation by the State Criminal Investigation Department,” Babaseyi said in a terse statement.
Education
Teacher Reportedly Suspended In Kebbi After Rejecting Ramadan Palliative
A classroom teacher in Kebbi State, Abduljalal Usman, has reportedly been suspended for three months without salary after rejecting a Ramadan palliative reportedly distributed by the state government.
The teacher allegedly declined the offer of one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet and also criticized what he described as poor governance in the state.
According to claims circulating online, the action was taken under the administration of Nasir Idris, prompting criticism from some commentators who described the suspension as an attempt to silence dissent and punish a public worker for speaking out.
Critics argue that educators deserve better working conditions, fair compensation, and respect, rather than disciplinary action for expressing their views.
@Mallam_jabeer who shared the report, said …
“A classroom teacher in Kebbi, Abduljalal Usman has been suspended for 3 months without salary simply for rejecting one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet offered as Ramadan palliative from the government and for speaking out against the bad governance.
Under the leadership of
@NasiridrisKG
, the Kebbi State Government is now punishing teachers for refusing humiliation and for criticizing the weaponization of poverty.
This is bias, incompetence and total abuse of power.

-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
