The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.
Trending
BREAKING: David Nwokorie, Arrested And Detained After Breakup With Ex-Police DIG’s Daughter, Released On Bail After Sowore, Isaac Bristol’s Intervention
Nwokorie regained his freedom on Thursday after the intervention of human rights activist Omoyele Sowore.
David Nwokorie, who was arrested following a breakup with Genevieve Opara, the daughter of retired Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) Hilary Opara, has been released on administrative bail.
Nwokorie regained his freedom on Thursday after the intervention of human rights activist Omoyele Sowore.
“The bail process was made possible by Sowore, and the process was facilitated by Isaac Bristol and his (Nwokorie’s) lawyer,” a source told SaharaReporters.
The Nigeria Police Force had earlier imposed stringent administrative bail conditions on Nwokorie, who was arrested last week by operatives of the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) and remained in custody until his release.
Genevieve, a Deputy Manager at the National Pension Commission and wife of Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) official Seal Nwaka, had accused Nwokorie of cyberstalking and blackmail—allegations that led to his arrest.
SaharaReporters had previously reported Sowore’s intervention, which prompted police authorities to allow Nwokorie’s lawyer to process his release on bail.
“I got involved and asked the CP (Commissioner of Police) of NCC (National Cybercrime Center) to release him. He said we could send his lawyer. But when the lawyer arrived, they were met with ludicrous bail conditions. Officer Omaka insisted that nothing would change them,” Sowore said on Wednesday.
A document seen by SaharaReporters showed that the FCID had demanded two sureties for Nwokorie’s bail. The sureties must either be Federal Government employees not below Grade Level 17, or businessmen with landed properties in Abuja covered by a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O). Alternatively, the sureties could be businessmen with registered companies and landed properties within the FCT valued at no less than ₦500 million.
According to the bail conditions, if the sureties presented are federal government employees, they must provide letters of introduction from their respective organisations, valid identification cards, and other supporting documents.
Alternatively, if the sureties are businessmen, they must submit copies of their Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) registration certificates, Certificates of Occupancy (C of O) for their landed properties in Abuja, and present the original documents for verification.
In both instances, the sureties must provide their passports along with two recent passport-sized photographs.
Sources told SaharaReporters that Genevieve and her family were upset over some messages allegedly sent by Nwokorie after their breakup.
In the messages, Nwokorie reportedly accused Genevieve of struggling with mental health issues and being emotionally unhealed from a previous relationship with a man based abroad, before entering into another relationship with someone she did not love.
He also allegedly described her as “unteachable” and “hot-headed,” and claimed she would still be jobless if not for her father’s influence in securing her role at the National Pension Commission (PenCom).
Background
According to David’s legal counsel, Barrister Ezike Chibuzor, who is also representing him in the ongoing case, the situation stems from a failed relationship between David and Genevieve.
Chibuzor explained that David only discovered Genevieve had previously been married and had two children after their relationship had progressed significantly.
“Genevieve never disclosed her past marriage and children to David. When he found out, he ended the relationship,” Chibuzor said.
The lawyer further alleged that tensions escalated in January when Genevieve found out that David had proposed to another woman. In response, she reportedly stormed his home and damaged several household items.
“David forgave her initially, but the problems continued. Eventually, he decided to end both the relationship and their joint NGO project, which they had started less than a year ago,” the lawyer added.
David, through his lawyer, reportedly demanded N25 million in compensation from Genevieve for the damages caused to his property.
He also posted a flyer online with Genevieve’s picture, describing her as “wanted for damages done to his home.”
Genevieve, in reaction to the post, filed a petition with the police, alleging cyberbullying and extortion. This led to David’s arrest.
“She was not happy about the post and reported him to the police. That’s how this issue started,” said the lawyer.
Meanwhile, David’s family alleges that Genevieve’s father, retired DIG Hilary Okpara, used his influence to get David arrested and detained.
“When we checked his [Hilary Okpara’s] profile, we saw that he was once a Commissioner of Police and later retired as an Assistant Inspector General (AIG). We believe he’s using his influence to keep David behind bars,” a family member told SaharaReporters.
There are also reports that David contacted Genevieve’s estranged husband, allegedly sending him photos of himself with Genevieve and her children.
He has reportedly expressed a willingness to testify in the ongoing custody battle between the couple.
SaharaReporters gathered that Genevieve is currently in court with her husband over a pending divorce case.
“Genevieve and her husband are currently in court over custody of their children. David is promising to serve as a witness against her,” Chibuzor confirmed.
When SaharaReporters contacted Genevieve Opara for comment, she said David is currently detained for blackmail, cyberbullying, and making threats to life.
“I think you should speak to my lawyer because you won’t be able to get all the necessary information from me. The matter has already progressed significantly. Please speak to my lawyer — it’s already in court,” she said.
“Maybe I’ll share my lawyer’s number with you so you can call her. Let her tell you what she can disclose. But the police cannot just arrest people arbitrarily.”
“They must have had some information. He is — well, he is currently detained for blackmail, cyberbullying, and making threats to life. The police have a clear picture and a full story,” she added.
When SaharaReporters contacted Genevieve’s lawyer, she said: “I cannot divulge any further information. As of today, the matter is sub judice. That means it is already before the court, okay? And I cannot speak on it.
“You are acting on speculations, and I am telling you that the matter is now sub judice. As of today, it has already been filed in court and is now before a competent court of jurisdiction.”
“So, we can’t speak further on this matter,” she added.
Trending
Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.
In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”
While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.
He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.
‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.
The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.
The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.
Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said
Trending
OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE
May 14, 2026
The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.
This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.
Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.
Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.
RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.
The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.
The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.
RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.
Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.
The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.
Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)
Trending
Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)
Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.
In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.
After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.
The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
