Connect with us

Trending

Canada is witnessing an unprecedented spike in asylum claims by international students, according to exclusive Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) data obtained by Global News.

Published

on

 

The data indicates that 2025 is poised to break last year’s record of 20,245 asylum claims by international students in Canada.

As the federal government restricts pathways to permanent residency, experts warn the trend could intensify, putting pressure on housing, healthcare, and public services.A Record-Breaking Surge in Asylum Claims

In 2024, asylum claims by international students nearly doubled from 2023 and were six times higher than in 2019.

The first quarter of 2025 alone saw 5,500 claims—a 22% jump from the same period last year.
Immigration lawyers attribute this surge to stricter immigration policies, which have limited options for students seeking permanent residency.

“The government has shut down many regular pathways to permanent residence,” said a Toronto-based immigration lawyer. “This is pushing students toward claiming asylum as a last resort.”Prime Minister Mark Carney, echoing his predecessor Justin Trudeau, has vowed to reduce immigration to “sustainable levels.”

On May 2, 2025, Carney announced plans to cap temporary workers and foreign students at under 5% of the Canadian population by 2027, down from 7%.

“This will ease the strain on housing, infrastructure, and social services,” Carney stated.

To curb the influx, Ottawa slashed study permits by 40% in 2024 to approximately 360,000, restricted work hours for foreign students, and tightened spousal work permit rules.Former Immigration Minister Marc Miller called the system “overheated,” citing exploitation by “diploma mills” offering low-value credentials.

Why Are Claims Rising?

Despite fewer study permits, asylum claims continue to climb.

An immigration expert explains that many students, after earning diplomas from questionable institutions, find themselves ineligible for work permits or permanent residency.Some students have diplomas that hold little value in the job market. They’re stuck with no clear path forward,” immigration experts say.

The IRCC notes that study permits, often valid for multiple years, mean the full impact of permit cuts may not yet be felt.

“The proportion of permit holders claiming asylum remains small compared to total permits issued,” an IRCC spokesperson said. Colleges with the Highest Asylum Claims

In 2024, the following post-secondary institutions reported the highest claims for asylum from foreign students:

Conestoga College: 720 claims
Seneca College: 650 claims.

Université du Québec à Chicoutimi: 500 claims
Niagara College: 495 claims
Collège Ellis (Trois-Rivières): 475 claims
Affected institutions express frustration over their lack of control. Université du Québec à Chicoutimi selects students based on academic merit, unaware of their intentions to seek asylum.

Niagara College emphasized its willingness to collaborate with the government but noted it receives no notification of claims.

Collège Ellis highlighted a “significant communication gap” with immigration authorities and is considering barring students from certain countries due to the issue.

A Strained Asylum System

The Canadian asylum process requires claimants to prove a credible fear of persecution in their home country.

However, the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) is grappling with a backlog of over 281,000 cases, leading to lengthy delays.

While some question the legitimacy of student claims, immigration experts stress that many are valid.

“Take a student from Ukraine who arrived years ago—circumstances in their home country have drastically changed. Their claim isn’t fraudulent just because they were a student,” an immigration expert said.

Immigration specialists acknowledge the political pressure to reduce immigration.

“There’s a housing crisis and a healthcare crisis. Refugees haven’t caused these, but high immigration levels may worsen them.”

As the country navigates this complex issue, the debate intensifies: how can the country uphold its humanitarian commitments while addressing domestic challenges?
With claims for asylum on track to hit new highs in 2025, the government faces tough choices.

Stay informed on the Canadian immigration policies and their impact. Follow for updates on this developing story.

How many refugee claims are successful in Canada?

As per CBC News, the recognition rate—which is calculated by dividing the number of refugee claims that are approved by the Immigration and Refugee Board by the total number of applications that have been resolved on merit—rose from 64% in 2018 to 82% in the first nine months of 2024.

Which country sends the highest number of foreign students to Canada?

More than 40% of foreign students are from India, followed by 10% from China.

Is it possible for an international student to ask for asylum in Canada?

Yes, an international student can apply to claim asylum if they are able to prove they have a well-founded fear of persecution in their home country.
Gagandeep Kaur Sekhon
Gagandeep Kaur Sekhon moved to Canada in 2010 on a study visa. She navigated through the ups and downs of her student life and gained her permanent residency in 2015. Today, she is a proud Canadian citizen residing in Calgary, Alberta. She is mother of 2 beautiful daughters and making her difference through writing and guidance at INC – Immigration News Canada.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending