Connect with us

Trending

Alleged Abuja bomb blast mastermind, Ogwuche protests 11 yrs delayed trial

Published

on

The alleged mastermind of the April 14, 2014 Nyanya Motor Park bomb blast in Abuja, which claimed 75 lives, Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche has protested the 11 years delay of trial in the terrorism charges brought against him by the federal government.

Ogwuche who claimed that the charges had suffered 97 adjournments on flimsy excuses from the prosecution appealed to the Federal High Court in Abuja to strike out the 7-count charges for lack of diligent prosecution.

The defendant who is standing trial along with four others informed the Court that the federal government had long abandoned his trial and also abandoned him in the custody of the Department of the State Service DSS.

The anger of the alleged terrorist through his counsel Abdusalam Abas was voiced out before Justice Peter Lifu when the prosecution in a letter sought for adjournment of the trial on the ground of attending to other things.

Ogwuche drew the attention of the Judge to his ruling of July 1, 2024 wherein the court threatened to throw away the charges should the prosecution fail to appear in court.

He was joined in the protest by other defendants through their respective lawyers who pleaded with Justice Lifu to invoke section 351 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) to strike out the charge.

In his ruling, Justice Lifu said he had carefully and painstakingly perused the letter seeking adjournment and saw no reasonable, cogent and compelling reason for it.

Justice Lifu, who is currently handling the trial, expressed displeasure over the lack of interest by the Federal Ministry of Justice, Abuja to proceed with trial as required by law and threatened to terminate the charge.

The Judge held that the charge had been pending in court since December 12, 2014 adding “To say the least, against all known logic, reason and common sense, it looks absurd in light of our much cherished principles of presumption of innocence, fundamental liberty and human rights jurisprudence”.

Justice Lifu also held that the reason for the long incarceration without trial for 11 years has not been reasonably explained to the court.

He said he would have struck out the charge in line with the warning issued to the prosecution in July 2024 but for the nature of the charge.

“Considering the nature of the charges, I bend backward to accommodate the prosecution for the very last time to enable him to present his witnesses, else, the court shall do the needful”

Justice Lifu therefore gave the federal government till June 18 and 19 2025 to call its witnesses for trial or have the charge struck out on the adjourned date.

Based on the complaints of lawyers, the Judge ordered the Director General of the DSS to allow counsel, parents, blood relation and desirable friends to access the defendants to enable them prepare for defense.

It will be recalled that two other Judges, Adeniyi Ademola and Ahmed Ramat Mohammed had unsuccessfully handled the trial due to lack of proper trial of the defendant in the charges.

On November 24, 2014  Justice Adeniyi Ademola struck out an earlier 2-count charge brought against Ogwuche for lack of diligent prosecution by the Inspector General of Police.

Ogwuche who was 29 years at the time of the alleged terrorism offence was in the 7-count charge, accused of conspiracy, engaging in an act of terrorism, belonging to Boko Haram, an outlawed group and refusal to disclose to security agencies, information that would have prevented an act of terrorism.

Others standing trial along with him are Akhmad Rufai Abubakar (aka Abu Ibrahim/Maitirare), Mohammed Sani Ishaq, Ya’u Saidu (aka Kofar Rama), Anas Isah, Adamu Yusuf and Nasiru Abubakar.

They were said to have committed the alleged offences contrary to and punishable under sections 1(2)(a) &(b), 5(b),8(b) 16, 17 of the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment) Act 2013.

Ogwuche was, in count six, accused of rendering support to a terrorist group by giving money at different times and places in Abuja to the widows of members of the terrorist organization known as Boko Haram.

He and Abubakar (aka Dr Tsiga) were, in count seven, accused of carrying out “surveillance and identified Silverbird Galleria and other locations as potential targets of terrorist attack.”

Ogwuche, a native of Benue State had been repatriated on July 15, 2014 from Sudan to face charges in Nigeria in respect of the April 14, 2014 in which over 75 persons were confirmed killed and 124 others injured in the Abuja suburb.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending