Connect with us

News

Rick Swart assumes duty as new US Consul General in Lagos

Published

on

The United States Mission in Nigeria has announced the appointment of Rick Swart as the new Consul General at the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.

Swart officially began his tenure on July 16, succeeding JoEllen Gorg, who had served in an acting capacity over the past seven months following the departure of former Consul General Will Stevens in November 2024.

In a statement issued by the Mission, Swart was described as the most senior U.S. Government representative serving the southern region of Nigeria, covering 17 states.

According to the statement, “He leads U.S. government efforts in deepening trade and investment partnerships, enhancing people-to-people ties, and advancing the full spectrum of priorities within the U.S.-Nigeria bilateral relationship across southern Nigeria.”

Expressing his delight at the new role, Swart stated, “It is an honour to serve in Nigeria. I look forward to exploring the region, connecting with its people, immersing myself in its rich culture, and promoting our shared objectives of building safer, stronger, and more prosperous nations.”

He also commended his predecessor, JoEllen Gorg, for her dedication during the transition period. “I’m grateful to JoEllen for her exceptional leadership and the vital work she has done to strengthen our partnership with the Nigerian people in this region,” he said.

Swart added that he is eager to collaborate with Ambassador David Greene and the wider U.S. Embassy team in Abuja to reinforce the strong ties between both nations.

A distinguished diplomat and senior member of the U.S. Foreign Service, Swart brings extensive international experience to his new role, having served in various assignments across Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and Asia.

Prior to his current posting, he was the Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. Embassy in Chad and previously served as Chargé d’Affaires, a.i., in Chad, Congo, and Burundi. His diplomatic resume also includes roles as Deputy Consul General in Baghdad and Humanitarian Assistance Officer for Africa at the U.S. Mission to the United Nations in Geneva.

Swart’s overseas postings further include assignments in London, Manila, and Dubai, while his service in Washington, D.C. focused on critical issues concerning sub-Saharan Africa.

Before embarking on his diplomatic career in 2002, Swart worked on architecture and design projects across Asia and Africa and also served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Mali.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ALAOJI PLANT RETURNS TO NATIONAL GRID

Published

on

Alaoji Plant Returns To National Grid

 

The Niger Delta Power Holding Company has restored the 450-megawatt Alaoji Open Cycle Power Plant in Abia State after it remained shut for three years.

The facility had stopped operations due to gas supply problems, debt issues and disagreements over metering.

The company said the return of the plant is expected to improve electricity supply and strengthen power generation in the country.

The shutdown had affected output from the national grid for more than 36 months.


Officials explained that efforts were made to resolve the long-running disputes and stabilise gas supply before restarting operations at the plant.

The restoration is also expected to support businesses and industries relying on stable electricity.


The Alaoji facility is one of the major power plants in the country and plays a role in boosting energy distribution across several regions.

Its return comes as authorities continue pushing for better electricity generation nationwide.

Continue Reading

News

𝗛𝗢𝗡. 𝗧𝗢𝗦𝗞𝗔 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗠𝗡𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗞𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦, 𝗞𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗘𝗦 𝗜𝗡 𝗜𝗛𝗜𝗔𝗚𝗪𝗔, 𝗢𝗕𝗜𝗕𝗜𝗘𝗭𝗘𝗡𝗔, 𝗘𝗭𝗜𝗢𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗢, 𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗕𝗜𝗔𝗠, 𝗢𝗞𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗛𝗜, 𝗨𝗠𝗨𝗚𝗨𝗠𝗔, 𝗔𝗩𝗨 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗠𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗘𝗦: 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗜𝗠𝗠𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡

Published

on

 

Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere(TOSKA), Member Representing Owerri Federal Constituency, has strongly condemned the incessant gruesome killings, kidnappings, rapes and violent attacks carried out by unscrupulous and criminal elements terrorizing communities within Owerri Federal Constituency, especially in Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emeabiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other neighbouring communities.

The recent killings of vigilante operatives and innocent constituents at Umuguma and Ihiagwa call for urgent and deterrent response by our security agencies.

In a passionate motion raised before the Federal House of Representatives, Hon. Okere called on the Federal Government of Nigeria and relevant security agencies to immediately deploy adequate security personnel to the affected communities and take decisive actions against the worsening insecurity threatening the lives and properties of his people.

According to him, the continuous attacks on harmless villagers, farmers, women and youths can no longer be tolerated under any guise.

“I urge the Federal Government of Nigeria to urgently look into this motion and act swiftly before more innocent lives are lost. Our people deserve to live and to live in peace without fear of being kidnapped, raped or butchered in their own communities,” Hon. TOSKA stressed.

The lawmaker further emphasized that the people of Owerri Federal Constituency will not fold their arms and watch criminals continue to unleash terror across Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emebiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other communities while families continue to mourn their loved ones daily.

This courageous move by Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere has continued to attract commendations from constituents who describe his intervention as timely, bold and people-oriented.

Hon. Okere is the light and the voice of Owerri Federal Constituency.
May God keep him to keep standing for us and for our interest.

 

Continue Reading

News

TENSIONS RISE IN OGUTA LGA AS CHAIRMAN MOVED AHEAD WITH Town UNION ELECTIONS AGAINST STATE DIRECTIVE

Published

on

 

By Nwauwa Ikedi Justice

An emerging standoff between the Oguta Local Government Area executive and the Imo State Government has sparked concerns of unrest in several communities, after the council chairman proceeded with plans to conduct Town Union elections in defiance of a statewide directive from Governor Hope Uzodimma.

Last week, Hon. Ifeanyi Nnani, Executive Chairman of Oguta LGA, initiated steps to organize elections in five autonomous communities, an action seen by observers as a direct challenge to the governor’s order prohibiting local government chairmen from interfering in Town Union affairs.

The controversy stems from earlier complaints by traditional rulers across the state, who alleged that some local government chairmen had been imposing proxies as Town Union executives in their domains.

In response, Governor Uzodimma convened a statewide stakeholders’ meeting on January 17, 2026, at the Eze Imo Palace. Citing the Imo State Town Union Law No. 6 of 2003, as amended, the governor lifted the existing ban on Town Union elections and ruled that the process should be conducted in line with each community’s established customs. He also transferred supervisory responsibility from local government chairmen to the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, designating it the appropriate authority for such matters. The directive has since been credited with restoring relative peace across the state.

Despite this, sources indicate that Hon. Nnani’s administration has quietly begun conducting elections in villages within Oguta LGA without consulting the affected Town Unions or seeking clearance from the supervising ministry.

A letter dated last week and personally signed by the chairman to the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs has since come to light. Rather than seeking approval, the correspondence served as notification of the council’s intent to proceed with elections in Ndiuloukwu, Mgbala, Uworie, and Mgbele autonomous communities—a move that appears to contradict the state government’s directive.

The emergence of the letter has alarmed traditional rulers, with reports of growing unease in the affected communities. Community leaders have vowed to resist what they describe as an unlawful intrusion into their internal affairs.

Attempts to reach Hon. Nnani for comment have so far been unsuccessful, as calls to his office went unanswered.

Continue Reading

Trending