The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.
Trending
EXCLUSIVE: “Bandits Killed My Twin Babies, Threw Their Bodies To Dogs” — Katsina Woman Shares Devastating Story After Escaping Captivity
Her voice trembled as she recounted her three-month ordeal in the forest hideout of ruthless bandits who snuffed life out of her newborn twins — feeding them to dogs.
With quivering lips and eyes brimming with tears, Aisha Mohammed (not her real name), a 35-year-old survivor of captivity, sat under a neem tree at a safe house in one of the villages in the Dutsin-ma Local Government Area of Katsina State.
Her voice trembled as she recounted her three-month ordeal in the forest hideout of ruthless bandits who snuffed life out of her newborn twins — feeding them to dogs.
“They said my babies cried too much… that their cries could attract soldiers. They told me, ‘Your twins are a risk. We’re ending the problem today.’ The next thing I saw was blood,” she told SaharaReporters in an exclusive chat, wiping a steady stream of tears with the hem of her scarf.
“They killed them and… and gave them to dogs. My babies…”
Her haunting story, one of several unreported; began around 2am on a quiet night in Dutsin-ma, Katsina State. Bandits, on April 18, 2025 stormed her community in a hail of gunfire, abducting her and several others.
Her husband, a local vigilante, confronted them and was gunned down alongside other defenders.
“I didn’t even know he was dead until after I was released. For weeks I had been praying he’d rescue me… not knowing he died that night,” she said, her voice breaking.
In the bandits’ forest camp, hell became her daily reality. She went into labour without aid or mercy. There were no midwives, no medical assistance — just the cold ground, pain, and fear. She birthed her twin boys assisted by other female captives in the dark, surrounded by armed men, and nursed them under constant threat.
“I begged them — I pleaded. I said I would take them deeper into the bush so they wouldn’t cry loud. But they didn’t care. They said my babies were disturbing their peace.”
One week after their birth, the twins were murdered in front of her and other abductees. The killers dismembered the tiny corpses and tossed them to dogs.
“I watched with my eyes. My hands were tied. I fainted… I died and came back. Nothing hurts more.”
Food was barely enough to survive. Captives were fed once daily with tuwon dawa, a coarse dough made from guinea corn, served with a soured, salty gruel made from the same ingredient.
“We ate it every day. Just once a day. And if you refused, you’d starve,” she said.
Worse than the hunger was the constant sexual violence.
“Some of us were raped daily,” Aisha whispered. “Sometimes, even in front of others. If you cried, they laughed. If you resisted, they beat you,” she recounted while sobbing.
She also gave rare insight into the staggering wealth the bandits were hoarding.
“They stored Nigeria’s N1000 notes in sacks like rice. I saw it with my eyes. When they ran out of papers to wrap their weed, they’d tear the notes and roll marijuana with it. The money there… it’s not millions, it’s hundreds of millions,” she said.
Even more disturbing were the terror plans she overheard.
“They talked about attacking the Federal University in Dutsin-ma. They said the government would pay more ransom for professors and students. They planned to kidnap in dozens and use the ransom to buy anti-aircraft guns and launch more attacks,” she disclosed.
“They also said Sabon Gari Safana village would be next — that they would ‘clear it out’ because the residents were providing intelligence to security operatives.”
She and five others escaped one night when the bandits carelessly slept on duty — a month after the twins were killed.
But her story raises painful, urgent questions about the state of Nigeria’s internal security and intelligence capabilities. How do armed groups — often deep in the forest — continue to coordinate elaborate kidnappings, move with military precision, and collect multimillion-naira ransoms using high-grade telecoms infrastructure without interception?
With reports like Aisha’s painting a picture of terror groups possessing hundreds of millions in cash, military-grade weapons, and plans to attack strategic institutions, the failure of Nigeria’s surveillance, counterterrorism, and ransom-monitoring systems becomes more glaring. The bandits she described used modern smartphones to communicate, track news, and even access YouTube tutorials on weaponry. Yet, they move and operate for months — even years — without disruption.
“They used new phones and always had network. They’d say, ‘Government no fit track us here.’ And truly, no one ever came… until the day we escaped,” Aisha said.
Her survival — as miraculous as it is — only underscores a brutal reality: countless others are still held in such camps, lost in the wilderness of failed intelligence, failed governance, and forgotten humanity.
Aisha — we’ve given her this pseudonym to protect her identity — is now under trauma care, struggling to piece together a life shattered by unimaginable horror. Her testimony sheds crucial light on the growing menace of armed banditry in northern Nigeria, where human life is daily reduced to ashes under the boots of terror.
Trending
Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.
In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”
While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.
He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.
‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.
The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.
The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.
Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said
Trending
OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE
May 14, 2026
The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.
This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.
Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.
Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.
RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.
The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.
The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.
RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.
Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.
The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.
Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)
Trending
Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)
Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.
In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.
After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.
The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
