Connect with us

Business

Reasons we cannot sell cement below N7,000, by Dangote, Bua, Lafarge

Published

on

Nigerian Cement manufacturers have said a surge in their operating costs was responsible for the sudden increase in the prices of the commodity around the country.

They have however agreed to bring down the price of the product from between N9,000 to N15,000 to between N7,000 and N8,000 per 50kg depending on the location nationwide.

This development emerged after a meeting by the Minister of Works, David Umahiattended by his Industry, Trade and Investment counterpart, Doris Uzoka-Anite on Monday in Abuja with representatives of Dangote Cement Plc, BUA Cement Plc and Lafarge Africa Plc.

 

After almost three hours of discussion, the Works Minister read the communique of the meeting where the cement manufacturers explained the reasons why the price could not be lower than N7,000 for the time being and why it went up astronomically in the first place.

The manufacturers noted that the challenges of the high cost of gas, import duties, bad road network and the prevailing high rate of foreign exchange against the naira are militating against an instant drop in the price of the commodity.

 

Kabir Rabiu, the Executive Director of BUA said the meeting was extensive but the manufacturers would abide by the agreement.

According to him, the manufacturers were helpless over the issue of the surging prices.

 

He said: “First our cost component of energy went from 39 percent to 60 percent because of gas

“The price of gas last year was 415, then to N715, today we are paying more than N1,500. All these issues were discussed and we gave our commitment.

 

“When our 6 million tonnes of cement is supplied to the market in the few weeks, definitely we will see a sharp drop in prices when that volume hits the market”.

He said the big disparity between demand and supply also played a major role in the price surge considering the season too.

 

According to him, some manufacturing plants have issues and cannot produce probably by choice or accident, which leads to a reduction in production.

“And being the highest period of cement demand in the country, the tendency that demand will outstrip supply will push the price up,” he added.

He also noted that smuggling across the border contributes to the scarcity of the commodity which added to the surge in price.

He said the commodity is much costlier in Cameroon, for instance, which makes Nigerian cement a target for cross-border smuggling to Cameroon and other neighbouring countries.

The representative of Dangote Cement Plc, the Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer,  Arvind Pathak, said notwithstanding that the core materials of the commodity are locally sourced, he said spare parts, among several other variables are subject to the mechanism of Import Duties and foreign exchange which makes it difficult for the manufacturers to disregard the prevailing economic indices.

 

Parts of the communique read by Umahi read:  “The government and the manufacturers noted that depending on the location, ideally, the price should not be more than N7,000 and N8,000 to get to the consumer per 50 kg bag of cement.

“The manufacturers, BUA Cement Plc, Dangote Cement Plc and Lafarge Africa Plc have agreed to have their cement price nationwide to between N7,000 and N8,000 per 50kg depending on the location.

“Between the Federal government and cement manufacturers to set up a price monitoring mechanism to ensure compliance for the price we have set today and manufacturers have accepted to sanction, on their own, any of their distributors or retailers found wanting.

 

“Government expects the agreed price to drop after securing government’s interventions on the challenges of the manufacturers on gas, import duty, smuggling, and better road network.

“It was also agreed that the government will encourage the emergence of at least six cement manufacturers to augment the three existing companies.

 

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers

Published

on

 

The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.

The statement read

“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.

The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.

This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.

Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”

Continue Reading

Business

CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.

Published

on

 

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.

According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.

The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.

“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.

The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.

The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.

“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.

The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.

“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.

“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.

Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.

The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.

Continue Reading

Trending