Connect with us

Business

CBN, OAGF deny release of withheld Osun LG funds to APC chairmen, councillors

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, and the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation, OAGF, on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja denied the release of the withheld Osun State local government financial allocations to the chairmen and councillors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in 2022.

The two Federal Government agencies insisted that the claim of the release of the funds to the disputed chairmen and councillors whose tenure would expire on October 22, 2025, was mere rumour.

CBN and OAGF’s denial of release of the withheld funds came when lawyer to the Osun State Government, Musibau Adetunbi, SAN, told Justice Emeka Nwite that the funds which is a subject of litigation before his court had been surprisingly released between Thursday and Friday last week unlawfully to the APC chairmen.

Adetunbi specifically confirmed that in spite of the order of the court that status quo should be maintained pending the resolution of the suit on the financial allocation, CBN and OAGF released the withheld money through special accounts opened for the disputed local government chairmen at the United Bank for Africa, UBA.

The senior lawyer however said that in a swift reaction, the Osun State Government approached a High Court of Oyo State and secured a restraining order against the bank, stopping it from disbursing the fund to the affected persons.

Adetunbi further told the court that his client had to approach the Oyo State High Court because their counterpart in Osun State have been on strike.

While admitting that the restraining order had been served on the bank, CBN and OAGF, he said that he had no documentary evidence as at the time of his submissions to be placed before the court

In their reactions Murtala Abdulrasheed and Tajudeen Oladoja, both SANs and representing CBN and OAGF, respectively, denied that their clients have effected the release of the money to the APC local government chairmen as alleged by the plaintiff.

In their separate submissions, the two senior lawyers who aligned with themselves insisted that the information by the plaintiff counsel remained rumours in the absence of documentary evidence.

In his motion seeking to transfer hearing in the case to Osogbo, the Osun State lawyer said that since the vacation of the court had lasped, the suit should be transferred to where it was originally instituted in the interest of justice, fair hearing and fair play.

Adetunbi insisted that transferring the suit from Osogbo to Abuja during vacation was in bad faith and questionable because there was no urgency to warrant such action.

Specifically, he said that the letter transferring the case by the Chief judge of the Federal High Court gave untenable reasons that all the defendants are based in Abuja, adding that such reasons ought not to have come from the Chief Judge except the defendants.

In vehement opposition, CBN and OAGF argued that the letter transferring the case from Osogbo to Abuja made it clear that the Abuja court should hear the suit substantively.

The two agencies said that the transfer of cases by the Chief Judge, John Tsoho, was an administrative issue that cannot be challenged by the Osun State Government.

They therefore pleaded that the case be expeditiously determined in Abuja.

Meanwhile, Justice Nwite has fixed October 16, 2025, for ruling on whether or not the suit should be returned to Osogbo.

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers

Published

on

 

The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.

The statement read

“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.

The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.

This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.

Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”

Continue Reading

Business

CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.

Published

on

 

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.

According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.

The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.

“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.

The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.

The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.

“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.

The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.

“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.

“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.

Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.

The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.

Continue Reading

Trending