Connect with us

Trending

Cops release new clues in case of missing nine-year-old Melodee Buzzard

Published

on

Police have released new clues in the exhaustive search for a child missing in California, as the investigation enters its second week with no sign of the young girl.

Melodee Buzzard, 9, was reported missing on October 14 by a school administrator in Lompoc, a city in Santa Barbara, following an extended absence.

It is understood the youngster was being homeschooled but she was still required to check-in for assignments per state rules.

Since then, sheriff deputies in the county and the Federal Bureau of Investigation have attempted to piece together a timeline of her movements.

On Friday, authorities shared surveillance images of Melodee in a grey hooded sweatshirt and what appeared to be a wig at a local rental car business a week before she vanished.

The update noted that Melodee’s mother, Ashlee Buzzard, 40, hasn’t been cooperating with the authorities and has been known to wear wigs.

Along with the new mysterious images, law enforcement has released an updated timeline on Melodee’s disappearance.

Detectives now believe that the girl likely vanished between October 7 and 10, identifying these three days as a critical timeline in the investigation.

New details have narrowed down the timeline when Melodee Buzzard, 9, likely disappeared after she was reported missing on October 14

 

Authorities have revealed new photos of Melodee in a hooded sweatshirt and what appeared to be a wig at a car rental

 

Authorities said the photos were taken at a car rental place on October 7. Melodee’s mother, Ashlee Buzzard returned home on October 10 without Ashlee after their road trip

 

Buzzard was seen at her Lompoc home on October 10, driving the same rental car she left in on October 7, but without Melodee, according to the sheriff’s office.

The investigation found that Ashlee took a road trip to Nebraska and Kansas during these days.

The mother-daughter duo traveled in a Chevrolet Malibu vehicle with a California license plate.

Detectives are narrowing down their investigation to where Melodee was during these three days.

‘Our detectives are following every lead in this case. We continue to seek information from the public that could help us find Melodee,’ Sheriff Bill Brown said with the update.

‘We remain determined to bring her home safely.’

Concern has grown for the young girl after the Lompoc Unified School District verified the last sighting of her in August.

The last photo authorities obtained was taken in 2023. Melodee has been homeschooled for the last year, but was previously enrolled at Buena Vista Elementary School.

Cops release new clues in case of missing nine-year-old Melodee Buzzard

Authorities have identified October 7 through October 10 as a critical period when Melodee likely disappeared. She was said to be on a road trip with her mother(pictured)

 

Homeschooled students in California are still required to maintain an attendance record with their local district.

Melodee was enrolled in the Lompoc Unified School District’s ‘independent study program,’ which requires students and their parents to pick up assignments from the school.

‘If attendance does not begin, the school follows mandatory truancy procedures — including phone calls, letters, emails, and home visits,’ the district previously said in a statement.

‘When a student or family cannot be reached after these efforts, the school requests a welfare check from law enforcement.’

After the district reported Melodee’s absences, law enforcement conducted a welfare check on her home, where she lives with her mother.

When law enforcement arrived for the welfare check on October 14, Ashlee couldn’t provide a reasonable explanation for her daughter’s whereabouts. She has remained uncooperative as of Friday.

Melodee’s father, Rubiell Meza, died in a motorcycle accident in 2016, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Since his death, Meza’s family has said Ashlee refused to let them have a relationship with Melodee.

Rubiell’s sister, Bridget Truitt, told local ABC affiliate KEYT that Ashlee hadn’t let the family see her for a few years.

‘And all of us have tried. But we never stopped thinking about her or loving her or praying for her,’ she added.

Melodee was reported missing by her local school district on October 14, which opened up an investigation into her recent whereabouts

 

Melodee had been homeschooled and was seemingly isolated at home with her mother before she disappeared. The community held a vigil for her in front of her Lompoc home (pictured)

 

Melodee’s father, Rubiell Meza (pictured), died in a motorcycle accident after she was born. Melodee has lived with her mother since

 

Buzzard was spotted leaving her home on Wednesday and attempted to rent a car but was refused twice, the Daily Mail previously reported.

Photos captured the mom entering a friend’s black Lincoln sedan at her home and driving to two separate rental car locations.

The Daily Mail also previously revealed that Buzzard has a string of unpaid credit card debts.

Meanwhile an eerie Google Maps photo taken in May 2023 captured Melodee on camera on her doorstep with a teacher.

The girl’s aunt, Lizabeth Meza, told the Daily Mail that she hasn’t spoken with her niece or Ashlee in 4.5 years.

‘Ashlee isolated herself and Melodee from the entire family, and we were told years ago that she was adopted out,’ she said.

Lizabeth added that Ashlee had previously lost custody of Melodee due to mental health concerns.

Lizabeth and Melodee’s half-sister, Corinna, has repeatedly tried to contact Ashlee, but said the mom has refused to speak with them.

Ashlee was pictured walking to a friend’s black Lincoln sedan early on Wednesday morning and was driven to two car rental locations

 

Authorities have said that Ashlee was ‘uncooperative’ when approached about her daughter’s whereabouts. The public has been asked to report any potential sightings of the girl

 

As the desperate search continues, authorities are asking the community to report any possible sightings or information on Melodee’s whereabouts.

Law enforcement noted that the public shouldn’t conduct their own searches since it could interfere with the official investigation.

Melodee is around 4 feet 6 inches tall, 60 lbs., and has brown hair and brown eyes.

 

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending