Connect with us

Health

NAFDAC raids warehouse, arrests two over altered expiry dates in Plateau

Published

on

Officials of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control have raided a warehouse in the Apata community of Jos, Plateau State, over product expiry date alteration, leading to the arrest of two suspects.

The raid, carried out between Friday and Saturday, was part of NAFDAC’s ongoing efforts to ensure the safety and quality of products in the market, especially during the festive period.

The Director of NAFDAC, North Central Zone, Kenneth Azikiwe, who led the operation, said, “We’re here today to address a concerning issue where some unscrupulous individuals are altering the dates on expired products to deceive consumers. They’re sold in small quantities to avoid suspicion. However, a consumer recently reported an issue, and our investigation led us to this facility.”

Azikiwe explained that the products, including wines and hot drinks, were cleaned with chemicals to remove the original expiry and manufacturing dates, and then relabeled with new ones.

He said the two suspects, Yusuf Hassan and Emma Nwobi, were arrested for allegedly altering the dates on expired products, while more suspects were being sought.

“We have two suspects in custody: Yusuf, who applied the altered dates, and the facility owner, who provided the labels. We’ve encountered similar cases before. Our team regularly checks markets, distributors, supermarkets, and sales outlets to ensure product safety.

“During this festive period, our Director General, Prof. Mojisola Christianah Adeyeye, has directed us to be extra vigilant. We’re working to ensure all products are safe and of good quality,” he added.

Azikiwe urged the public to be vigilant when purchasing products, especially regulated ones, and to check the manufacturing and expiry dates on the label, not on any sticker.

The State Coordinator of NAFDAC in Plateau State, Dr Obida Musa, condemned the act, saying, “It’s truly unfortunate to witness such reckless behaviour from these criminals. It’s appalling and should be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians.”

Musa advised the public to be cautious when buying products, especially regulated ones, and to report any suspicious products to NAFDAC.

One of the suspects, Yusuf Hassan, pleaded for leniency, saying he didn’t know the expiry date had been altered.

He claimed he was only a supplier and didn’t intentionally try to deceive anyone.

Hassan said, “I don’t usually sell Pure Heaven products, but customers kept asking for it. I told them I didn’t have it, and they kept pestering me. I mentioned this to Emma Nwobi, a supplier, and he said he had some in his store.

“He gave me the product, and I didn’t know the expiry date had been altered. The original date was 2020, but it was changed to 2027. I didn’t realize it had expired.

“I buy from Mr Emma Nwobi and sell to people around me. I don’t have a shop; I just supply products to various places. I’m pleading for leniency, as I’ve never done this before.”

Our correspondent reports that NAFDAC is currently leading nationwide operations to rid the country of unregistered, expired, falsified, or banned products, which have continued to pose health risks to citizens.

The recent enforcement of the operation in three open drug markets — Idumota, Aba, and Onitsha — led to the evacuation of such products worth more than one trillion naira.

Health

I’ve Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer – Blessing CEO Confirms Cancer Battle, Solicits Financial Help (Video)

Published

on

Nigerian social media influencer and self-proclaimed relationship expert, Blessing CEO, has shared an update regarding her health.

In a post on her Instagram page, the relationship coach revealed that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer and that doctors have recommended urgent surgery to remove one or both breasts to stop the disease from spreading.

She explained that making the decision to undergo surgery was very difficult, describing the emotional toll and challenges she faces.

She also disclosed that her resources have been stretched, prompting her to seek financial help to cover the cost of the operation.

This development follows her earlier announcement that she would sell some of her personal belongings, including her car, wigs, and Lagos mansion, to raise funds for treatment.

She shared an account number in the video to receive contributions and asked her followers to support her in any way they can.

She said: “My name is Okoro Blessing Nkiruka and I’m popularly known as Blessing CEO. I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. At this point, an urgent surgery is needed for amputation to stop the spread or to know how far the spread has gone.

“If they’re taking off one of the breasts or both of it, trust me, it was a very hard decision to come here. But the truth is, when predicaments like this come for you, you become powerless. I might not be able to do anything, work, influence, resources has gone into this.

“And that’s why I’m here pleading. If I have ever touched you before, if my words have ever shown any positive in your life, if you ever say Blessing CEO I love you, this is the time to show it.

“Thank you so much for the love. My phone is buzzing. God bless every one of you. Nothing is too small. I just want to be fine. Thank you so much. I’m going to put an account number on this video, hoping to start up the surgery as fast as possible. Thank you so much to those of you who reposted, shared. God bless every one of you.

“Thank you so much. I love you guys. I need all the love, all the advice I’ve given to you guys. You’re going to have to give it back to me. Thank you so much. Thank you so much. I have never been this clueless all my life.

“I thought I was a jagaban. I thought I was so strong. I thought I was so strong. Being strong is now my biggest weakness. Thank you so much. God bless you.”

Continue Reading

Health

Jehovah’s Witnesses Review Blood Transfusion Policy On Members

Published

on

Jehovah’s Witnesses have announced an update on their long-standing position on blood transfusions.

In a video published on the group’s official website on Friday, the church stated that members are allowed to make personal decisions on the use of their own blood during medical procedures.

A member of the Governing Body, Gerrit Lösch, said the clarification is intended to help adherents navigate medical choices without departing from biblical teachings

The church, however, maintains that the prohibition on receiving another person’s blood still stands.

He explained that while the doctrine requiring Christians to abstain from blood remains unchanged, the scriptures do not directly address the use of one’s own blood in clinical settings.

“Regarding the use of one’s own blood…a Christian must decide for himself how his own blood will be handled in the course of a surgical procedure, medical test, or current therapy,” he said.

According to him, members are now free to decide whether to permit procedures where their blood is temporarily removed, stored, and later returned to the body.

“Some Christians may decide that they would allow their blood to be stored and then be given back to them. Others may object. Each Christian must make his personal decision on all matters involving the use of his own blood with regard to medical or surgical care,” Lösch added.

He noted that practices such as blood testing, dialysis, and the use of heart-lung machines have already been widely accepted among adherents.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigerian MSc Nursing student arrested for fra¥d in India

Published

on

 

Meerut police in Uttar Pradesh have uncovered a major cyber fra¥d racket involving Nigerian students, arresting one suspect, Saifu Mayana Umar, an MSc Nursing student.

Victims across India were reportedly duped with promises of high returns through investments in foreign companies and stock markets. Investigations have linked Umar and his associates, including a Nigerian national named Yusuf, to at least 16 cyber fra¥d cases.

The gang allegedly used an organized network to lure victims, quickly withdrawing transferred funds through multiple bank accounts and ATMs to avoid detection. Authorities have traced transactions totaling approximately ₹45 lakh in Umar’s bank account, connected to cases mainly from southern states.

The probe involved cyber units from Telangana and Tamil Nadu, who coordinated with Meerut police to apprehend Umar from his hostel. During searches, police recovered electronic devices, ATM cards, bank passbooks, a SIM card, a passport, a cheque book, and mobile phones, all sent for forensic examination to trace the wider network.

Investigators noted that one associate attempted to des+roy banking documents, but some financial records were recovered for scrutiny. Transaction details are also being traced to follow international money flows.

During questioning, Umar admitted that some funds in his account were deposited by Yusuf and subsequently withdrawn. Other names have emerged in the investigation, and warrants are being sought, including potential international cooperation.

Umar has since been released on notice, with his passport confiscated and confinement to the university hostel.

Continue Reading

Trending