Connect with us

SportsNews

Davido loses $50,000 as Morocco beat Nigeria on penalties to book AFCON 2025 final place: Live updates and reaction

Published

on

Morocco will face Senegal for the AFCON championship after beating Nigeria 4-2 on penalties

Nigeria 0-0 Morocco — AFCON penalty shootout latest reaction

Morocco have beaten Nigeria on penalties to book their place in the 2025 AFCON final.

  • Morocco: 4 ✅ ❌ ✅ ✅ ✅
  • Nigeria: 2 ✅ ❌ ✅ ❌ –

An enthralling contest, often played at a ferocious pace, ended goalless after 90 minutes and then again after extra time.

Morocco will face Senegal in Sunday’s showpiece after Sadio Mane led them past Egypt earlier on today.

Jay Harris

Why can’t this talented generation of Nigerian players turn up in big games?

For the third year in a row they have stumbled at a big hurdle. In 2024 they lost the AFCON final to Ivory Coast. Last year they crashed out of the World Cup play-offs. Tonight they have been eliminated by the hosts.

Another bruising shootout defeat for Nigeria

Nigeria have lost another crucial penalty shootout, less than 60 days since DR Congo ended their 2026 World Cup hopes.

It is the cruellest way to lose and Nigeria will have to recover emotionally from the shattering disappointment.

In their defence, it is maybe the toughest environment in which to take penalties you can possibly imagine.

Jay Harris

Chukwueze and Onyemaechi — who missed the Nigerian penalties — are in bits as Morocco wildly celebrate reaching the AFCON final.

They are being consoled by their team-mates and backroom staff.

Morocco’s goalkeeper Bounou just slid on his chest across the floor along with Brahim. Head coach Walid Regragui ran onto the pitch.

They are agonisingly close to winning AFCON for the first time in 50 years and in front of their own supporters, too!

Ed Mackey

More penalty shootout heartbreak for Nigeria

Penalty shootouts in these big matches are so cruel.

Nigeria battled away for 120 minutes and earned themselves a penalty shootout, but it is Morocco who prevail in front of their own fans.

The Moroccan players looked a lot more comfortable from 12 yards than their opponents, possibly owing to the support from the stands.

Yassine Bounou is, once again, the hero of his country.

Ed Mackey

GOAL: En-Nesyri sends Morocco to the final!

They’ve done it! The tournament hosts will play in the AFCON final in front of their own fans!

  • Morocco: 4 ✅ ❌ ✅ ✅ ✅
  • Nigeria: 2 ✅ ❌ ✅ ❌ –

 

SportsNews

Chelsea mathematically out of title race after 3-0 defeat to Everton

Published

on

Chelsea are now mathematically out of the Premier League title race.

This follows their 3-0 drubbing in the hands of Everton at the Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday night.

Liam Rosenior’s men came into the match with 48 points, looking to keep pace with the teams in front of them.

However, Beto opened the scoring for the hosts in the first half, before adding a second after the break.

Chelsea barely threatened Everton and looked flat for most of the game, before Iliman Ndiaye added a third.

The result means the Blues cannot match the 70 points that league leaders Arsenal currently have with seven matches left.

Champions Liverpool are also on the verge of being mathematically ruled out, as they have 49 points.

Continue Reading

SportsNews

Super Eagles player bounced me from Iheanacho’s room — Osimhen

Published

on

Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has claimed that a senior member of the Super Eagles squad in 2017 sent him away from a hotel room during his first call-up to the national team.

According to the 27-year-old, it was Kelechi Iheanacho who intervened and welcomed him inside.

Osimhen revealed this while appearing on a Twitch livestream with comedian, Carter Efe in the early hours of Saturday.

He said: “When I came, I met Iheanacho. And I told him, ‘ah, see me, I’m gonna carry your boots.’ So he said I should come to his room so, he gave me his room number.

“So, as I got to his room — I don’t just want to mention the name — he had a roommate. So, as I knocked on the door, the roommate opened the door. So, he like bounced me out of the room.”

Osimhen refused to reveal the identity of the player who sent him away.

Continue Reading

SportsNews

AFCON 2025; Drama as Senegal Reportedly Relocates Trophy To Military Base After CAF Decision (Video)

Published

on

Drama as Senegal reportedly relocates AFCON trophy to military base after Confederation of African Football (CAF) viral decision.

‎It would be recalled that CAF stripped Senegal of their Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title, awarding it to Morocco instead.

This decision came after Morocco appealed the result of the January 18 final, where Senegal won 1-0 in extra time.

‎ According to the CAF Appeal Board, Senegal had forfeited the match due to their players walking off the pitch in protest of a penalty awarded to Morocco, citing Articles 82 and 84 of the AFCON regulations.

The controversy surrounds the AFCON final, where Senegal’s players walked off the pitch in protest of a late penalty awarded to Morocco.

In a clip circulating on the microblogging platform, X (formerly Twitter), a young man with glasses is seen holding the AFCON trophy surrounded by military personnel.

The clip captures the military personnel’s excitement as they support the trophy, with an officer recording the moment.

In a recent development, Senegal has announced plans to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), with some officials and players expressing outrage and disappointment.

The Senegalese government has also called for an international investigation into suspected corruption within CAF.

Watch video below……

Continue Reading

Trending