Education
Insensitive SSANU Strike leaded to the death of our Student – FUOYE
The Federal University, Oye Ekiti, has blamed the death of a student of the institution, who was asthmatic, on Tuesday morning on the insensitivity of the striking members of the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities, which led to the closure of the institution’s clinic.
FUOYE Vice Chancellor, Prof Abayomi Fasina, accused SSANU of feeding its national leadership with lies about the university, which led to the national leadership to allegedly direct the union in institutions in Ondo, Osun and Kwara to proceed to the university on Monday.
Fasina, who was represented by the university management team led by Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration), Prof. Tajudeen Opoola, said that consequent upon misinformation by the FUOYE SSANU Chairman, Oluwaseun Faleye, that he was under attack, the institution was invaded on Monday by hoodlums and shut down.
The VC said, “We lost a student this morning in FUOYE who had asthma because he could not be taken to our clinic because the facility is under lock and key. It is true that students are on holiday, but not all of them are living on campus. It would have been easier for the student to be rushed to our clinic for urgent treatment, but our university gate is locked.”
Fasina, who said FUOYE management team could observe that the administrative Block of Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti was open, with people going about their activities and EKSU clinic functioning on Tuesday morning, wondered why EKSU SSANU allegedly incited hoodlums to invade FUOYE.
He said, “Total or comprehensive strike is not going on in EKSU. But the same leadership of EKSU SSANU went on air yesterday (Monday) to incite the public and even led some hoodlums to invade our school based on a false narrative he was fed with by Chairman FUOYE SSANU.
“Our own chairman was the one who gave false information to the National President (of SSANU). Since he gave the impression that he had been beaten and harassed. The National President allegedly directed that the leadership of their union in Ondo, Osun and Kwara should proceed to FUOYE to rescue the chairman. It is that impunity that the EKSU chairperson used. But we hope he won’t misuse the immunity”.
Fasina, who said the law would deal with the situation appropriately, said, “The university is not going to fold its arm and allow anybody in whatever name or allow any union to come and occupy our place. We have a way of dealing with such. This is Nigeria and nobody is above the law”.
The VC, who said that the SSANU chairman was “never been harassed or threatened by any security operative,” said, “The university is committed to continual maintenance of peace and security on our campuses”.
But the SSANU chairman, Faleye, who said SSANU duly notified the university of the seven-day warning strike, queried, “Is FUOYE the only federal university that is observing the seven-day warning strike? There are many schools that are under lock and key.”
Reacting to the allegation that the SSANU strike was responsible for the student’s death, Faleye said, “Before now, there was notice of strike. I have a memo that the university issued prior to the notice that we will be embarking on seven days’ warning strike that directed the students to vacate the hostels to avoid something of such.”
He denied the allegation that EKSU SSANU incited or led hoodlums to invade FUOYE, challenging the management to produce such evidence, alleging that rather, it was the university management that laid ambush for the SSANU monitoring team.
He said, “I think you are aware of the national directive of our union for all the branches to embark on a seven-day strike starting from March 18. Even before now, we have evidence of our correspondence with the management notifying them of the strike.
“They felt they could impose concessions on us, saying that we must give concessions and not follow the national directive. On Friday, they invited us to a meeting, asking us to give concessions. We told them no.
“They sent a written letter soliciting concessions to exempt the health centre, register others, but the circular from the national leadership of our union warned against granting such concession. We had privileged information that the Vice Chancellor was trying to use security to intimidate us.
“Between Wednesday and Friday last week, the DSS Director and the Commissioner of Police invited us, and we feel that this kind of intimidation is a national strike. Why would they invite us when it is a national strike? We felt we were not safe.
“On getting to the school gate we met armed Civil Defense officers. I was assaulted; it is the management that is using the security agencies to intimidate us.”
Education
NANS Vows Action Against Sponsored Misinformation Targeting FUTO, Its Leadership
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has vowed to take urgent action against some persons it said are cooking up and sponsoring falsehood against the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) and its leadership.
NANS took the position in a release signed by Comr. Olushola Oladoja, NANS President, and Comr. Nduka Chibueze (Paparazzi), NANS Director of Travel and Exchange, and made available to the media on Saturday.
“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has observed with deep concern the activities of some unscrupulous and mischievous elements who appear to be acting in concert to tarnish the image and credibility of our institution, the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and its leadership through the circulation of false, misleading and malicious information across various online platforms.
“These individuals, whose actions clearly suggest a calculated agenda driven by selfish interests and external influence, have continued to propagate unfounded claims capable of bringing the institution into disrepute and misleading members of the public.
“It is unfortunate that certain persons have chosen to allow themselves to be used as instruments of propaganda and destabilization against an institution that represents the collective pride and aspiration of thousands of students and alumni.
“We wish to state categorically that such coordinated attempts to blackmail, ridicule, or undermine the institution and its leadership will not be tolerated henceforth. The university’s integrity and reputation must not be sacrificed on the altar of personal interest, sponsored misinformation, or politically motivated attacks.
“The leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) remains committed to protecting the image, unity, and values of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), and will continue to resist every desperate attempt aimed at causing disaffection within the institution, using every legitimate mechanism and arsenal within our disposition.
“We have activated the forces of Aluta to identify and expose the charlatans involved. Our aim is to deal with them in a manner that serves the overall interest of our institution. This should act as a deterrent to anyone whose actions are aimed at destroying the institutional reputation we all worked to build. Forewarned is forearmed,” NANS maintained.
Education
NYSC Official Arrested Over Female Corper’s D3ath After Abortion
An official of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Ogun State, Abass Olalekan, has been arrested in connection with the de@th of a female corps member.
The corps member, Victoria Ariyo, serving under the Abeokuta South Local Government Area (LGA) of the NYSC, reportedly d!ed last Tuesday after undergoing abortion.
It was gathered that the corps member had terminated her pregnancy and d!ed from complications that followed the procedure.
Her remains were buried at Kobape Cemetery on Kobape-Sagamu Road in Abeokuta.
According to Daily Trust, Ariyo’s d3ath came barely a month after another female corps member, Adeleye Mary, d!ed in what has been described as mysterious circumstance.
Mary, who was serving under the same Abeokuta South LG, was attached to the Ogun State Television (OGTV) as her Place of Primary Assignment (PPA).
A source told the publication that both deceased corps members were friends.
“The first lady d!ed at her residence, which is not far from her PPA. They found her lifeless body in the apartment and, up till now, nobody can tell the cause of her d3ath,” the source said.
However, the second corps member who d!ed on Tuesday was said to have died from complications arising from an abortion procedure.
It was alleged that the NYSC official, who is the Local Government Inspector (LGI) for Abeokuta South, Abass Olalekan was culpable in the process leading to the corps member’s d3ath.
Sources told the publication that the LGI was allegedly involved in a romantic relationship with the deceased, which eventually led to pregnancy, and it was the termination that led to her d3ath.
“That is the fact in issue,” a police source who confirmed the NYSC official’s arrest told Daily Trust on Thursday.
The police source said the development raises questions about the legality of romancing “someone that should be in your care.”
Confirming Olalekan’s arrest, the source said, “He is in our custody at the command’s headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta.”
The police source, however, said there is no connection between the current incident and the one that occurred last month.
Spokesperson for the police in the state, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, confirmed death of Ariyo and said that the investigation was ongoing.
However, he failed to respond to questions on the arrest of the LGI and the alleged involvement.
“I can confirm that the case of the demise of Victoria Ariyo is under investigation by the State Criminal Investigation Department,” Babaseyi said in a terse statement.
Education
Teacher Reportedly Suspended In Kebbi After Rejecting Ramadan Palliative
A classroom teacher in Kebbi State, Abduljalal Usman, has reportedly been suspended for three months without salary after rejecting a Ramadan palliative reportedly distributed by the state government.
The teacher allegedly declined the offer of one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet and also criticized what he described as poor governance in the state.
According to claims circulating online, the action was taken under the administration of Nasir Idris, prompting criticism from some commentators who described the suspension as an attempt to silence dissent and punish a public worker for speaking out.
Critics argue that educators deserve better working conditions, fair compensation, and respect, rather than disciplinary action for expressing their views.
@Mallam_jabeer who shared the report, said …
“A classroom teacher in Kebbi, Abduljalal Usman has been suspended for 3 months without salary simply for rejecting one mudu of maize and one mudu of millet offered as Ramadan palliative from the government and for speaking out against the bad governance.
Under the leadership of
@NasiridrisKG
, the Kebbi State Government is now punishing teachers for refusing humiliation and for criticizing the weaponization of poverty.
This is bias, incompetence and total abuse of power.

-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
