Connect with us

Trending

“I Was Handcuffed Like A Criminal” – Nigerian Soldier Who Was Dismissed For Asking Politicians’ Sons To Join Army Reveals (Video)

Published

on

A dismissed Nigerian soldier, Lance Corporal Rotimi Olamilekan, who was previously detained for criticising political leaders, has spoken out following his removal from the Nigerian Army, recounting what he described as months of suffering, humiliation, and deprivation of basic rights.

“I was arrested and dismissed as a Nigerian soldier because of a video I made last year, where I called on politicians’ children to join the military,” Olamilekan said in a video seen on Wednesday evening.

The dismissed soldier had previously gone viral after urging ministers, governors, lawmakers and local government chairmen to send their children to the battlefield, amid growing casualties among rank-and-file troops fighting insurgency.

In his latest narration, Olamilekan said he was arrested from his duty post and treated like a criminal.

“I was arrested because of a video I made, saying that ministers, governors, and local government chairmen, all politicians, should send their sons into the army to fight terrorists,” he said.

“This is the reason I was arrested. From my location, they handcuffed my legs and hands. It was as if I had stolen or killed.”

He explained that at the time of his arrest, he had been stationed in a remote bush location in the North-East for over four years.

“They moved me from there because I was inside the bush, and I had been there for about four years and nine months, staying in that location,” he added.

Olamilekan narrated how he was transferred across multiple detention facilities, including military formations in Borno State and Abuja.

“From there, they moved me to Maiduguri, 70th Provost MP Guard Room. From there, they took me to Abuja SIB. I was there for more than a month,” he said.

“They brought me back from Abuja to the 70th, then took me back to my location, and I was still locked up with handcuffs on my legs and hands, as if I had stolen something.”

According to him, he was later formally charged without being allowed to properly defend himself.

“They gave me a paper for my charges, four charges, but I will give details later because I can’t provide everything now,” he said.

“They called out my order and read the charges, the first, second, third, and fourth, and I was dismissed, dismissed from the regiment, just because of the video I made.”

He expressed shock at the outcome, describing it as evidence of a lack of free speech in Nigeria.

“I didn’t expect this. It shows that in our country, we don’t have freedom of speech, and we are not free to say the truth,” he lamented.

The dismissed soldier also alleged harsh and degrading treatment during his detention, particularly during his time in Abuja.

“I really suffered. I suffered a lot in Abuja, with handcuffs on my legs and hands for over a month,” he said.

“Even the feeding was just twice a day, small portions, not even up to N500 worth of food. No calls. I couldn’t talk to my family or anyone. They collected my phone.”

He added that after his dismissal, he was publicly disgraced and expelled from the barracks.

“It was after they dismissed me that they marched me out. I was dismissed from my unit and taken to the 7th Division. From there, they marched me out of the barracks as a dismissed soldier. It is so sad,” he said.

Olamilekan appealed to Nigerians and civil society groups to support his quest for justice.

“I don’t have anyone to fight for me, but I know God will fight for me because this is not right,” he said.

“Please, I want people to continue standing for me and help me fight for justice because I never expected this.”

Reflecting on his years of service, the dismissed soldier insisted he had maintained a clean record prior to the incident.

“I spent eight years in service. Since 2018, when I joined the army, I have never been charged until now because of social media,” he said.

“I have never fought anyone, never stolen, never killed, and never been involved in any misconduct. But because I spoke the truth on social media… I was dismissed.”

He further highlighted his prolonged deployment in Maiduguri without recognition or relief.

“I spent four years and nine months in Maiduguri, and nobody spoke about it or came to change my situation,” he said.

“I really suffered. They treated me badly… but no problem, glory be to God. Where there is life, there is hope.”

It had earlier been reported that Olamilekan was arrested on February 11, 2026, following a directive allegedly ordering his transfer to Army Headquarters in Abuja.

Sources had revealed that he was denied access to his family and legal representation during his detention.

In the earlier viral video that led to his arrest, Olamilekan had emotionally decried the loss of fellow soldiers on the battlefield and called on political leaders to show greater commitment by allowing their children to serve.

In the video posted on his Facebook page prior to his arrest, the soldier called on top government officials including ministers, senators, members of the House of Representatives, and local government chairmen to allow their sons to be recruited into the Nigerian Army to join the fight against banditry and insurgency across the country.

“The way I dey lose my colleagues, it is getting to things wey be say e dey comot tears for my eye day by day. In this country, we have 36 governors, we have like 109 senators, even ministers, we have like almost 60 (The way I keep losing my colleagues is reaching a point where it brings tears to my eyes every day. In this country, we have 36 governors, about 109 senators, nearly 60 ministers),” he said in Pidgin English.

“We have House of Representatives, chairmen of local governments – 774. Let each one of them bring their son to join the Nigerian Army (We have members of the House of Representatives, and 774 local government chairmen. Let each of them send their own son to join the Nigerian Army).”

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending