News
Dakuku Peterside mourns Senator Mpigi, describes death as painful loss
Former Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA, Dr Dakuku Peterside, has expressed sadness over the death of Senator Barry Mpigi, who represented Rivers South-East Senatorial District at the 10th Senate.
Dr Peterside described the late senator as a committed public servant whose contributions to Rivers State and the Niger Delta would not be forgotten.
In a statement by his media team, he said Senator Mpigi was a grassroots politician who stayed closely connected to his constituents and showed dedication to the principles of representative democracy.
He added that the late senator’s passion for public service, humility, and dedication to the welfare of his people set him apart during his time in the Senate and other public roles.
Dr Peterside extended his condolences to the Mpigi family and the people of Rivers South-East.
“At this moment of grief, I pray that God grants his family, loved ones, and constituents the strength to bear this irreparable loss. May his soul rest in perfect peace,” he concluded.
News
American actor Eric Dane, who passed away following a battle with ALS, records one final message for his teenage daughters.
Dane recorded the interview with Netflix in secret, knowing it would be released after his passing.
“Billie and Georgia, these words are for you. I tried. I stumbled sometimes, but I tried. Overall, we had a blast, didn’t we?”
“I remember all the times we spent at the beach, the two of you, me, and mom…”
“I want to tell you four things I’ve learned from this disease, and I hope you won’t just listen to me. I hope you’ll hear me.”
“Live now, right now, in the present. It’s hard, but I learned to do that for years.”
“I would wander off mentally lost in my head for long chunks of time, wallowing in worry and self-pity, shame and doubt, and replay decisions. Second-guess myself. ‘I should have done this. I never should have done that.’ No more.”
RIP.
🎥: @pagesix
https://www.instagram.com/reel/DU_VmgrDAYC/?igsh=MTllOGQ2N3RvOTZ5bA==
News
She’s with us now – Police arrest TikToker Mirabel amid alleged rape claim
The Ogun State Police Command has taken popular TikTok personality Mirabel into custody as part of an ongoing investigation into allegations that she may have staged a sexual assault incident that recently went viral.
Confirming the development on Friday, the Command’s spokesperson, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, said the influencer is currently being held for questioning while the police work to verify the authenticity of her initial report.
When asked about the possibility of charging Mirabel for making a false report, Babaseyi remained cautious, emphasizing that the investigation would be guided by evidence.
“She is with us now, and the investigation is ongoing,” the spokesperson stated.
Regarding potential legal action, he added, “The facts will tell at the conclusion of our investigation so we can reach a logical conclusion on whether those allegations were true or not.”
In the videos, she alleged that the attacker boasted about his family’s powerful connections, claiming they would protect him from any legal consequences.
Days later, Mirabel spoke about the allegations in a conversation with popular social media activist Martins Otse, widely known as VeryDarkMan (VDM).
She admitted that she had been using drugs at the time and may have been hallucinating, casting doubt on the events she had previously described.
News
Court awards N30m damages to Sowore over unlawful ‘wanted’ declaration by police
A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Friday awarded N30 million in damages to activist and former presidential candidate Omoyele Sowore, over his unlawful declaration as a wanted person by the Nigeria Police Force.
In a ruling delivered by Justice M. Kakaki, the court faulted the actions of the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Moshood Jimoh, and the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, describing their conduct as unconstitutional and a clear breach of Sowore’s fundamental rights.
The suit arose from developments in late 2025, when the Lagos police leadership reportedly warned Sowore on October 27 to stay away from the state and subsequently declared him wanted on November 3.
Sowore challenged the actions, arguing that they lacked legal backing and violated constitutional protections.
In a judgment that spanned over an hour, the court held that the police acted arbitrarily and outside the scope of their lawful authority.
Justice Kakaki ruled that the directive barring Sowore from Lagos had no constitutional foundation and that declaring him wanted without a valid court order amounted to an abuse of power.
The court stressed that no individual can lawfully be declared wanted without adherence to due process, including the issuance of a court warrant and proof that the person is evading legitimate legal proceedings.
It added that the actions of the police infringed on Sowore’s rights to freedom of movement, expression and peaceful civic engagement.
Justice Kakaki further held the Inspector-General of Police vicariously liable for the conduct of the Lagos Commissioner of Police, noting that the violations warranted strong judicial sanction.
Consequently, the court awarded N30 million in damages against the two senior police officers.
Reacting to the verdict, Sowore’s lawyer, Tope Temokun, described the ruling as a landmark affirmation of constitutional democracy and the rule of law.
He said the judgment sends a clear signal that state power must not be used to intimidate or silence citizens.
According to him, the decision represents a wider victory for Nigerians, reinforcing the principle that civil liberties and lawful dissent must be protected against arbitrary state action.
-
Business1 year ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending1 year agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics1 year agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics1 year agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics1 year agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment1 year ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment1 year ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education1 year ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
