Connect with us

Politics

Drama as Bauchi Deputy Gov, Jatau slaps Foreign Affairs minister Tuggar

Published

on

There was mild drama at the Emir’s Palace in Bauchi on Friday, when the state’s Deputy Governor, Auwal Jatau, allegedly slapped the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, during a heated altercation.

The incident occurred during the turbaning of former Bauchi State Governor, Mohammed Abdullahi Abubakar, as Makama Babba 1 of Bauchi Emirate, which coincided with the wedding of his daughter, Khadija Mohammed.

The high-profile event was attended by top political figures including Vice President Kashim Shettima and Gombe State Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya, among others.

According to eyewitnesses, the clash ensued after the Foreign Minister reportedly made disparaging comments about the Bala Mohammed-led administration, comments the deputy governor allegedly found offensive.

 

“The Deputy Governor was visibly furious. It was a shocking moment. If not for Vice President Shettima’s swift intervention, it could have escalated badly,” a source told our correspondent.

The altercation is believed to be a continuation of the long-standing political rift between Minister Tuggar and Governor Bala Mohammed. Tuggar, a staunch critic of the PDP-led government in the state.

Tuggar had earlier accused the governor of using President Bola Tinubu’s tax reforms to kickstart his 2027 presidential ambition.

In a January appearance on Channels TV’s Sunday Politics, Tuggar had said: “Governor Bala Mohammed showed clearly that he did not have any sincerity of purpose. He used the tax bill debate to jumpstart his presidential campaign.”

Reacting, the Governor’s Chief of Staff, Aminu Gamawa, described the minister’s comments as “opportunistic and undiplomatic,” accusing him of seeking to curry favours from the Tinubu administration.

“Tuggar’s ambition to run for governor in 2027 is the real reason behind these constant attacks. But maligning a performing governor won’t help him,” Gamawa said.

He added that the minister’s alleged “absentee politics” and poor performance in foreign affairs had diminished Nigeria’s diplomatic strength, especially in Africa.

 

As of the time of filing this report, neither the Bauchi State Government nor the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs had issued an official statement on the matter.

 

Politics

President Tinubu Approves Membership For US-nigeria Working Group

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has approved the constitution of the Nigerian side of the US-Nigeria Joint Working Group as part of steps to deepen collaboration in tackling security challenges in the country.

The composition of the Joint Working Group was part of the agreement reached during the recent trip to Washington, DC, by a high-level Nigerian delegation led by the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Ribadu is to lead the Nigerian side of the Joint Working Group, supported by a multi-stakeholder team comprising senior officials from relevant government establishments.

Members of the Joint Working Group include the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, Minister of Defence, Mohammed Badaru Abubakar, Minister of Interior, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Dr Bernard M. Doro, Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Amb. Mohammed Mohammed and the Inspector General of the Nigeria Police Force, Mr Kayode Egbetokun.

Ms Idayat Hassan of the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and Mr Paul Alabi of the Embassy of Nigeria in the US will serve as the secretariat.

President Tinubu has urged members of the Joint Working Group to work assiduously with their US counterparts to ensure smooth operationalisation of all agreements across sectors.

Continue Reading

Politics

AU, ECOWAS, and WAEF Condemn Guinea-Bissau Military Takeover, Demand Restoration of Democratic Order

Published

on

Election-observation missions from the African Union (AU), the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), and the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) have jointly condemned the military takeover in Guinea-Bissau, calling it a direct assault on the country’s democratic process.

In a strongly worded statement, the observer groups denounced the suspension of the presidential and legislative elections, which had been conducted peacefully on 23 November. They praised the citizens of Guinea-Bissau for their orderly participation and commended electoral officials and security personnel for maintaining professionalism throughout the vote.

The missions described the military intervention as a “blatant attempt to disrupt the democratic process,” noting that the takeover occurred while the nation awaited the official announcement of election results. With both leading presidential candidates having pledged to respect the final outcome, observers said the coup threatened to erode confidence in the country’s democratic institutions.

The joint statement also expressed deep concern over the detention of government and electoral officials by the military, urging their immediate release and the swift restoration of constitutional rule. The observers warned that halting the electoral process could reverse years of regional efforts to strengthen political stability and democratic norms in Guinea-Bissau.

Regional and international bodies are now intensifying calls for the reinstatement of civilian authority and the continuation of the electoral process, emphasising the need to safeguard the will of the people at a critical moment in the country’s political trajectory.

Continue Reading

Politics

Nnamdi Kanu is in the prison, we should not get angry and it is not issue to use knives, gun or fighting ourselves in order to solve it- Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu

Published

on

‎The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Bianca Odumegwu Ojukwu, has urged the South-East people to use dialogue and peaceful means to address the recent imprisonment of Nnamdi Kanu

‎She added that the people of the South-East should emulate other zones and learn to solve their challenges “through dialogue and peaceful ways.”

Bianca ‎Ojukwu made the remarks at the 14th edition of the Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Memorial Day Celebration held at the Ojukwu Memorial Library, Owerri, Imo State, on Wednesday

‎She noted that although the court of first instance had sentenced Kanu to imprisonment, “all hope are not lost,” adding that through dialogue and peaceful methods, Nnamdi Kanu could be released from the Sokoto Correctional Centre.

‎The Ojukwu’s annual memorial day was instituted by Chief Ralph Uwazuruike, the founder of the Movement for the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASOB

‎The event is usually attended by Igbo people from the five South-East states and beyond.

‎During her address, Mrs. Ojukwu called for a minute of silence for the late BBC journalist, Mr. Frederick Forsyth, “who resigned her job to cover all things that happened during the 1967 to 1970 Biafra and Nigeria civil war.”

‎She said, “Nnamdi Kanu is in the prison, we should not get angry and it is not issue to use knives, gun or fighting ourselves in order to solve it”

“‎This coming Christmas, all of us should endeavour to meet with our National Assembly members and our governors, ask them the way forward to ensure that Kanu is freed from the prison”

‎“Also, all of us should come together, plan ourselves on how to use peaceful means to settle this matter, we should plan how to meet with President Bola Tinubu and amicably resolve this matter.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending