Connect with us

Trending

7 young players killed in deadly Tanzania protests as opposition slams Samia Suluhu

Published

on

Seven footballers were killed during the deadly Tanzania post-election violence. Photos by AFP/Mariano Sayno. Source: Getty Images
  • Seven young tooball players tragically lost their lives during the deadly protests witnessed during the Tanzania elections
  • President Samai Suluhu was re-elected for a second term in an election marred by controversy, death and protests
  • Over 500 people are believed to have lost their lives, with the government blaming foreign nationals for the chaos

A football management agency has revealed that they lost seven players during the deadly Tanzania protests during the 2025 general elections.

The elections were widely disputed as thousands of Tanzanians hit the streets to protest against the incumbent Samia Suluhu.

Opposition slams Samia Suluhu

Samia has since been re-elected after the election commission declared she had won 98% of the votes cast.

The build-up to the election had been marred by the arrest and detention of key opposition leaders who were eventually barred from vying.

Samia, who was sworn in on Monday, has been slammed by the opposition, who branded the election a ‘sham’.

How many people died in Tanzania?

No official figures have been confirmed yet, but the country’s main opposition party claimed that no less than 800 deaths had been reported, while a BBC source said that ‘at least 500’ people had died.

Tanzania mourns 7 young players

Amid all these, a football agency has sadly confirmed that seven of their players were killed during the protests.

In a heartbreaking statement, Viral Scout Management said that the players had been gunned down in Mbeya, Dar es Salaam and Mwanza in senseless acts of violence.

“Viral Scout Management is heartbroken to announce the devastating loss of seven promising young football talents under our management: Rajabu Rajab (17), Anthony Rico (18), Abdulqareem Ali (16), Peter Eliya (19), Mshani Musa (17), Omar Musa (15), and John Hosea (22). These vibrant players were gunned down in senseless acts of violence at their homes in Dar es Salaam, Mbeya, and Mwanza.”

The agency condemned the killing of civilians and players and rued that the dead players were the future of Tanzanian football.

“We vehemently condemn the killings of civilians and players alike. No one deserves to have their dreams stolen in such a brutal manner. These young athletes were the future of Tanzanian football, dedicated to their craft and inspiring countless others. As we mourn, we hold firm to our motto: There is no pressure when you are making dreams come true.”

More to follow.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending