Politics
Concerns Over NEC, Caucus Meetings In APC As Ganduje’s Fate Splits Govs
There are growing concerns in the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) over the failure of the party’s national chairman, Dr Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, to convene National Caucus and National Executive Committee (NEC) meetings.
Reports on Sunday claimed that the two organs of the party are key in fine-tuning and ratifying decisions of the National Working Committee (NWC), especially the NEC, which is its second highest decision-making organ.
Unlike the NWC, which is saddled with the day-to-day running of the party, the NEC ratifies NWC’s decisions on key issues, and where necessary, subjects them to the national convention, which is the highest organ, for final decisions.
The APC constitution provides that NEC meetings should be held quarterly to brainstorm and review developments in the party, with a view to ensuring its progress and stability.
Sources in the APC, however, said that aside from the national caucus and NEC meetings yet to be convened, the National Advisory Council of the party was also yet to be constituted despite being an advisory body of elders expected to serve as the conscience of the party, like the Board of Trustees (BoT) in other cases.
Findings revealed that since Ganduje was appointed as the APC helmsman at a NEC meeting held on August 3, 2023, only the NWC has been meeting, while all other organs have remained comatose.
Recall that from August last year till date, several members of the party have made efforts, including threats of legal action, to ensure that a NEC meeting is held, at least to ratify some key decisions reached by the NWC, but the efforts have so far yielded no results.
Sources said Ganduje was afraid of summoning the NEC for fear of being sacked, sequel to several protests against him.
However, another source close to the national chairman said the issue of convening the NEC and National Caucus meeting was not entirely Ganduje’s affair. The source said the former Kano State governor had reached out to the president on this, but was yet to receive a commitment concerning a potential date.
Recall that an alleged corruption case in Kano and a recent “purported” sack by executives from his ward and the litigation that followed had ignited protests against Ganduje within the party, with stakeholders calling for his head.
Analysts say that judging from the coalition of forces against Ganduje, it would take a miracle for him to survive the numerous onslaughts against him and complete his tenure.
Pundits have also argued that the only suspense subsisting in the episode is the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu factor.
Governors split over Ganduje’s fate
Sources told our correspondent yesterday that governors who are members of the party were divided over calls for Ganduje’s resignation, which is believed to be a major impediment to the NEC and National Caucus meetings.
It was gathered that while some governors are behind him, others who are not convinced about his emergence or his leadership are said to be holding back on launching an all-out war because they fear this might pit them against the president. Some of those in the latter group are said to have strategically stopped attending APC events.
Also, some of those in this group have also stayed off the APC national secretariat in Abuja.
The Progressive Governors’ Forum (PGF), led by Imo State Governor Hope Uzodinma, has also been observed to have taken a back seat in recent times, as observers noted that unlike what was obtainable in the past, the forum has not been holding regular meetings.
Party leaders worry over state of affairs
On March 23, 2024, the APC national chairman, Ganduje, said President Tinubu had approved the NWC proposal to carry out a nationwide e-registration of members.
He disclosed this when he hosted some APC state chairmen at the headquarters of the party in Abuja.
Ganduje said, “The president has granted your requests, especially on political appointments. He is doing something about it. He also emphasised the importance of electronic registration, which we have been working on with the consultant and our committee at the headquarters, which has gone far.
“Now, we are going to the grassroots level. It (e-registration) will be connected across all the wards of the federation, but you need to oversee the recruitment of officials who will undertake the exercise.”
But some stakeholders of the APC said it was the responsibility of the NEC, not President Tinubu, to approve the e-registration of members nationwide.
Some members of various organs who spoke with our correspondent yesterday expressed displeasure over the issues, saying, “The APC has turned into a one-man show.”
A member of the National Caucus, who asked not to be named, told Daily Trust yesterday that Ganduje’s action was driving the party on the path of implosion.
The politician, who played a role in the formation of the APC, advised that if Ganduje is afraid of being sacked by the NEC, he should lobby majority of members on his side.
He also blamed President Tinubu, who anointed Ganduje, for not intervening in the interest of the party.
He said, “Tinubu borrowed this thing from Buhari, who never took the organs of the APC seriously. So, it appears to be infectious and the bug caught up with Tinubu and he acts alone.
“I am sure he just passes down instructions to the national chairman, who was handpicked. The real owners of the party are sidelined. Anyone who has a divergent view is not tolerated. So, we are in for autocracy. It is unfortunate.
“We have a national chairman who was appointed against the wishes of the North Central zone, which should replace Abdullahi Adamu.
“As it stands, it is like they are calling for implosion. This kind of thing is condemnable and should not be allowed to continue. The APC leadership is not ready to be questioned.”
Last week, a former national vice chairman (North West) of the APC, Salihu Mohammed Lukman said, “The NWC of the party has appropriated the powers of all organs, and in its name, the national chairman is taking discretionary decisions.
“With such reality, many of the decisions taken not only violate sections of the APC constitution but also undermine sections 221–229 of part Il of the 1999 Nigerian Constitution as amended, as well as the Electoral Act 2022.”
Similarly, another chieftain of the APC who craved anonymity told our correspondent in a telephone interview that “what is happening now is the opposite of APC’s founding vision. Something needs to be done urgently to correct the anomaly.”
But reacting, the APC national publicity secretary, Felix Morka, a lawyer, said, “We have not scheduled NEC meeting yet. When we schedule it we will make an announcement. So, our members should be patient.”
Politics
2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election
No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.
This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.
While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.
Major casualties
One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.
In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.
Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.
They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).
Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.
In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.
The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.
At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.
Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).
Politics
PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.
According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.
Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.
Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.
The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.
The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.
According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.
The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.
It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”
Politics
Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed
A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.
Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.
Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.
He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.
The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.
Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.
He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.
“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”
However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.
It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.
On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.
Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.
The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.
He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”
He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.
Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
