Connect with us

Politics

SDP: NWC members embroiled in major crisis after El-Rufai’s entrant

Published

on

The recent appointment of three new members into the National Working Committee, NWC, of the Social Democratic Party, SDP, has thrown the party into crisis.

Thus, disrobing the party of its self acclaimed adulation as the only opposition party that is crisis free.

The party’s national publicity secretary, Araba Rufus Aiyenigba, had in a statement last week, announced that three vacant positions of the Deputy National Chairman (South), Deputy National Chairman (North) and National Financial Secretary, had been filled. The trio of Senator Ugochukwu Ubah, Alhaji Shehu Musa and Bello Ado Hussain were appointed to fill the three vacant positions.

This was seen in some quarters, particularly among close watchers of political developments, as a strategic move to consolidate the party and prepare it for victory ahead of the 2027 general election.

But little did it occur to many that the move would stir the hornet’s nest of crisis that has been waiting in the wings to envelope the party like its counterpart opposition parties.

Aiyenigba, in the statement had noted that the NWC in line with Article 12.5 of the party’s 2022 constitution as amended and following the mandate given to it by the National Convention of the party, filled the vacant positions during a meeting presided over by the party’s national chairman, Alhaji Shehu Musa Gabam.

However, a few days after the appointment, there appears to be a crack in the party over the information as the national chairman, Gabam, who presided over the meeting, where the appointments were made issued a statement denying that such a thing ever happened.

Gabam made the rebuttal while addressing journalists in Abuja on Monday.

Represented by the party’s deputy national secretary, Muhammad Biu, he said: “The attention of the national leadership of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) has been drawn to a number of misleading media reports, claiming that three new appointments have been made into the party’s National Working Committee (NWC).

“The positions in question are deputy national chairman (North), deputy national chairman (South), and national financial secretary.

“These reports attributed to the SDP’s national publicity secretary, Araba Rufus Aiyenigba, alleged that Senator Uba, Dr Abubakar, and Mr Bello had been appointed to the aforementioned roles respectively.

“We wish to categorically state that no such appointments have been made and that the statement in circulation is false, unauthorized, and does not reflect the decisions or procedures of the SDP’s NWC.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the SDP’s NWC has not convened any constitutional session or meeting to fill vacant positions within the committee as reported.

“The National Executive remains committed to due process, internal democracy and the inclusive participation of stakeholders from all geopolitical zones in any future restructuring efforts.

“As the 2027 general elections approach, we are not unaware of the calculated attempts by certain individuals and political rivals to sow discord and weaken the only credible opposition party left standing in Nigeria.

“We urge all Nigerians to disregard the unauthorised reports and remain confident in the integrity and cohesion of the SDP’s leadership.

The alleged meeting of Thursday, May 15, 2025, cited in the reports, did not authorise any appointments, and no resolution of such nature was adopted.

However, as the national publicity secretary and the national chairman dish out conflicting information, the party’s national secretary, Olu Agunloye has equally issued a statement to straighten out the fact.

He said the party’s NWC comprises 12 members, emphasizing that 11 out of the 12 members attended the NWC meeting, where the decision to fill the three vacant positions was taken. He also informed that out of the 11 members that were present, eight voted in favour of the three appointments, leaving three members, including Gabam in opposition.

He alleged that Gabam and two other members of the NWC who lost out, in cahoots with the former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, who recently defected to the party from the All Progressives Congress, APC, were the brains behind the current crisis rocking the party.

He alleged that Gabam and two other NWC members, as well as El-Rufail, want to lord their selfish interest over and above the eight other NWC members who voted in favour of the appointment, noting that since their wishes did not prevail, they decided to cause chaos in the party.

He said: “There were 12 NWC members in total but one was absent. Eight out of 11 NWC members present at the meeting voted in favour of the appointments. Gabam and two others who lost out are throwing tantrums together with Nasir El-rufai who amounts to nothing at his ward.”

In his capacity as the national secretary of the party, Agunloye has equally written a letter to inform the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) about the appointment of new members into the party’s NWC.

The letter dated May 16, read: “This is to officially inform your office that the National Working Committee (NWC) of the Social Democratic Party met at the National Secretariat on Thursday, May 15, in a session attended by 11 out of the 12 existing members to appoint the remaining three members of the 15-member National Working Committee as per Article 12.5 of the 2022 Constitution of the SDP as amended and as per the mandate of the June 8, 2022, National Convention.

“The INEC Chairman is hereby formally informed that the National Working Committee has appointed three persons into the NWC as per the provisions of the SDP Constitution as listed below: Senator Ugochukwu Uba, Deputy National Chairman (South); Dr. Sadiq Umar Abubakar, Deputy National Chairman (North); and Mr. Hussani Ado Bello, National Financial Secretary. “Consequently, these appointments are for an initial period of four years or till the next National Convention, whichever comes first and is subject to satisfactory performance.”

As it stands, the development is about to place the party in the mold of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP,  and the Labour Party, LP, that have been in crisis since after the 2023 general elections.

Politics

2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election

Published

on

 

No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.

This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.

While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.

Major casualties

One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.

In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.

 

Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.

They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).

Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.

In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.

The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.

At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.

Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.

According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.

Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.

Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.

The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.

The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.

According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.

The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.

It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed

Published

on

A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.

Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.

Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.

He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.

The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.

Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.

He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.

“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”

However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.

It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.

On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.

Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.

The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.

He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”

He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.

Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.

Continue Reading

Trending