Connect with us

News

Anambra begins pro-rata salary payments to end Monday sit-at-home

Published

on

Governor Charles Soludo

The Anambra State government has announced the commencement of pro-rata salary payments for workers across the state as part of efforts to end the Monday sit-at-home, saying that effective February 2026, civil servants’ salaries will be paid according to pro-rata.

The state Commissioner for Information, Dr. Law Mefor, disclosed this to journalists in Awka on Saturday, adding that the initiative was decided during the end-of-tenure retreat of the Anambra State Executive Council, held in Awka.

Mefor said the retreat was held to review the activities of Governor Chukwuma Soludo’s administration over the past four years and to craft a better focus for the new term commencing on March 17, 2026.

The commissioner noted that, for the past four years, Anambra public and civil servants had often stayed away from work on Mondays due to the sit-at-home, citing insecurity and lack of transportation facilities.

He said, “The retreat acknowledged that even though these factors existed in the past, they no longer exist, making them invalid reasons for absenteeism from work.

“The workers were simply enjoying the sit-at-home because they know that whether they come to work or not, they will be paid salaries.

“The ANSEC retreat has decided to put a stop to the anomaly. Ordinarily, the matter should be treated as a case of absenteeism, which could lead to dismissal from service, as is captured in the civil service law.

“But we are not following that route. The state government has decided that it is paying pro-rata from this February. So if you don’t want to lose your salary for that Monday, then you come to work.

“The mechanism is already in place and forms are being devised, so that workers can clock in on Monday morning and clock out at the close of work.”

Mefor also emphasised that civil servants’ absence from work on Mondays negatively impacts the productivity of the state government.

“Any day civil servants fail to come to work, it means that the state government’s business will stagnate and, by implication, the economy of the state will stagnate. Income accruable to government will be lost and there’s no guarantee that such losses can be recovered.

“For example, if the staff of the Anambra Internal Revenue Service and other MDAs decide to absent from work on Monday, the state loses a lot of monies and impedes the progress of work.”

He added, “This is part of the reason for the decision to pay pro-rata; it is to ensure that every naira spent reflects fairness, efficiency, and sustainability.

“Do we now say we give up Monday and take Saturday as a working day? That will not work. It will mean that Anambra State has yielded to whoever introduced this sit-at-home, and again, we will be the only state working on Saturdays in Nigeria, and that will be absurd.

“So, it is only reasonable to start with this pro-rata payment to get the workers to resume on Mondays.

“The state is losing so much due to the sit-at-home and the government cannot be asking the markets and other informal sectors to show up on Monday when its own workforce has refused to come,” he added.

According to Mefor, negotiations are ongoing to get market leaders to open markets on Mondays, while the state government is also boosting security to build traders’ confidence to operate on Mondays.

On how the pro-rata payment will be calculated, the commissioner said the 24 working days of the month will be used to divide each worker’s salary to determine what they will earn at the end of the month.

“The thing has to be done. Four years is enough. The economic loss of the sit-at-home runs into trillions since it started, according to an international firm.

“It is a decision the state government has taken and the implementation is already on,” Mefor concluded.

Punch Online had earlier reported that the Anambra State government issued an Executive Order abolishing the closure of schools on Mondays over sit-at-home, warning that any teacher or non-tutorial staff who fails to comply will either receive 20 per cent of their salary or forfeit it entirely.
This was conveyed in a letter dated January 22, 2026, and signed by the Board Secretary of the Universal Basic Education Board, Loveline Mgbemena. Mgbemena directed all permanent board members, officers in charge of the 21 local government areas, zonal directors, and departmental directors to bring the content of the letter to the notice of all staff under them and ensure compliance.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

News

Cameroon’s President, Paul Biya Set To Get A Vice President For The First Time In His 43-Year Rule

Published

on

Cameroon’s president, Paul Biya, is set to get a vice president for the first time in his four-decade rule, following controversial constitutional changes backed by the parliament.

In a ‌joint session of the ruling party-dominated National Assembly and Senate, lawmakers voted 200 to 18 in favour, with four abstentions, to pass the bill.

The bill stipulates that the vice president will ​automatically assume the presidency if President Paul Biya dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated.

Biya, ​93, has led the Central African country since 1982 and is the world’s oldest serving head of state. Public discussion about ​his health is banned.

According to the legislation, a copy of which was seen by ​Reuters, the vice president will be appointed and dismissed by the president, serving for the remainder of the president’s seven-year term.

However, the interim leader would be prohibited from initiating constitutional changes or ​running in a subsequent election.

Prior to the amendment, the constitution designated the leader of the Senate to briefly take over in case the sitting president d!es or is incapacitated. An election would then be held.

The Social Democratic Front (SDF) party, which has six representatives in parliament, boycotted the vote. It had pushed for a revision in favour of the vice-president being jointly elected with the president, rather than appointed.

The party also sought a constitutional provision that reflects the linguistic split between English and French-speaking regions. The SDF wanted the nation’s top two posts to be shared between Cameroon’s two communities, which was the position before 1972.

“This constitutional reform could have been a moment of political courage, but it is nothing less than a missed historic opportunity,” SDF chairman Joshua Osih said.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerians Expect Everything Free, Roads And Light, But Don’t Want To Pay Tax — Minister Wike

Published

on

 

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has highlighted the ongoing challenges of tax collection, pointing out the disparity between citizens’ expectations and the reality of government revenue.

Speaking with TVC NEWS live, he stressed that while Nigerians expect quality infrastructure and services, there is widespread reluctance to contribute through taxes.

On the difficulty of generating revenue, Wike said: “To collect tax, you know it’s not an easy thing. I don’t know how many of you here like to pay tax. Nigerians want everything for free. They want road, they want light. It is not easy.”

He further stated; “When I came to Abuja we were about 8, 9 billion. The money we get from the federal government is 1% of the allocation of federal government. So if federal government gets 1 trillion for example, they’ll give us one percent which is ten billion naira and that cannot carry the society. Our salary in a month is not less than 12–13 billion, so we must augment. How do we augment?”

Addressing public criticism, he added: “There’s no ab¥se that any politician has received than me. I think after the president, I’m the highest ab¥sed. There’s nothing we do that we won’t get ab¥sed. Well, what is important to me is that I want to be concentrated to do the job.”

On oversight and accountability, Wike explained how closely he monitors the finances: “The money we have gotten from tax challenge me, minister FCT, what are you doing? I’ll show you as I sit here.”

Continue Reading

Trending