Connect with us

Politics

APC begins moves to reinstate Ndume as Senate Chief Whip

Published

on

Spread the love

The ruling All Progressives Congress has begun consultations with the leadership of the Senate to facilitate the reinstatement of Senator Ali Ndume as the Chief Whip.

The move comes one month after Ndume, representing Borno South Senatorial District, was relieved of the position for repeated public criticisms of President Bola Tinubu and the ruling APC.

The Borno lawmaker claimed that the President had been caged and shielded from feeling the hardships Nigerians were passing through, an action that irked the ruling party.

Ndume was immediately replaced by the senator representing Borno North, Tahir Monguno, following a directive issued to that effect in a letter written by the APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Ganduje, and National Secretary, Senator Basiru Ajibola.

The request was put to voice votes by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, and loudly affirmed by all the APC senators.

Last Tuesday, a sober-looking Ndume told journalists after a two-hour closed-door meeting with the National Working Committee in Abuja that he had tendered an unreserved apology to the APC.

Confirming the development, the APC National Chairman, Ganduje, said Ndume’s apology was accepted, describing the situation as a family affair.

“We are writing to the National Assembly to convey what has transpired between Senator Ndume and the party. As you are aware, he has apologised to the party with the hope that they can review their position,” Ganduje said.

Three days after the meeting, a source at the party secretariat, who craved anonymity, told our reporter that the party had opened discussions with the leadership of the Senate to review Ndume’s removal as the Chief Whip.

“Just as the national chairman stated on Tuesday, the APC has begun consultation with the Senate leadership. As he rightly said the other day, it is a family issue,” the source said.

When contacted, the Deputy National Organising Secretary of the APC, Nze Chidi Duru, confirmed the ongoing consultation, which, he said, might not necessarily be conducted in public.

Duru, however, said the onus was on the Senate leadership to decide if it was the right call.

According to him, the APC is a law-abiding party that is willing to welcome back prodigal and erring members once they are willing to retrace their steps and abide by the party’s Constitution.

He said, “It is for us to recommend to the Senate to do the needful. I believe they are all party members who respect the APC. It is on account of that, when the party felt there was something wrong in the way he addressed the public without allowing the party to hear him out, that we took the steps that we took.

“But he has realised his mistake and came to the party to admit that he should have first discussed it with the APC before going public. In the end, the party looked at it and then had a handshake with him. So it is important that having had that handshake, in the wisdom of the national chairmen of the party, that he communicates to the leadership of the Senate just as we did in the first instance.

“There will be many backdoor consultations and discussions that would address all the parties concerned for the important thing to be done, not just on the surface of it. The APC is a party that is law-abiding and motivates for consensus. You know Ndume is a ranking member of the party and well respected too. That was why we embraced him with a golden handshake and the meeting ended in a convivial atmosphere.”

The National Publicity Director of the APC, Bala Ibrahim, said the move to have Ndume reinstated as the Senate Chief Whip was not strange as the executive and legislative arms were free to reshuffle and reassign portfolios as they deem fit.

“Why not? Of course, there is nothing strange there. This is an in-house thing. Even in the executive arm of the government, a cabinet reshuffle is normal. The legislature can also reshuffle and reassign portfolios. Nobody has an entitlement to any position. It is at the discretion of the leader of the House or the Senate to assign portfolios to people they think can run the office to satisfaction.

“In any case, Ndume is a senior senator for that matter. There is nothing wrong if the Senate finds him good for that position. I don’t think there is any law that says he cannot be reinstated. Moreover, this is one Senate that is trying to be as rancour-free as possible under the leadership of Godswill Akpabio.

“So, I am sure if they feel the need to reinstate him, all the necessary consultations will be made to ensure that it is done in a way that will not create any hitch. This is my belief. He apologised and the party accepted his apology. So it’s an in-house thing. It is a problem within the family that can always be resolved without necessarily going for an intermediary.

“So I believe the party will put in place all the necessary things that need to be done for him to be reinstated. That is not my place to say. It is the discretion of the Senate and the discretion of the party,” Ibrahim said.

Politics

Nnamdi Kanu slams Igbo political leaders for neglect

Published

on

Spread the love

The President-General of the Igbo Community Association (ICA), FCT, Engr. Ikenna Ellis-Ezenekwe, has disclosed that Nnamdi Kanu remains optimistic about securing his release from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) by April 2025.

Following a visit to the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) at the DSS headquarters in Abuja, Ezenekwe issued a statement in which he revealed Kanu’s deep disappointment over the absence of strong Igbo leadership.

He lamented that many prominent figures in the region had failed to advocate for the interests of their people.

Despite spending years in detention, Kanu reportedly appeared healthy, had gained weight, and remained in high spirits. He reaffirmed his confidence in his legal team and expressed hope that the courts would grant him freedom in the coming weeks.

However, Kanu criticized Igbo political leaders for their inaction, stressing that the region was suffering due to a lack of vocal and influential advocates.

He also reflected on the historical neglect of Igbo freedom fighters, citing the case of Ralph Uwazurike, who, despite his initial efforts in the struggle for self-determination, was abandoned by his people during his imprisonment. According to Kanu, such repeated betrayals only serve to weaken the fight for the region’s future.

Ezenekwe further conveyed Kanu’s call for a referendum, describing it as a necessary step toward self-determination.

He maintained that Kanu believes he has committed no crime other than urging his people to awaken and demand their rights.

In his statement, Ezenekwe directly appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, urging him to intervene in Kanu’s case. He reminded the president of his past role in the pro-democracy movement and called on him to demonstrate the political will to ensure Kanu’s release, arguing that his prolonged detention symbolizes political repression rather than justice.

The statement reads in part: “At the DSS headquarters in Abuja, I had the honor of visiting Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). Our meeting served as a vital reminder of our shared struggle for recognition, justice, and the advancement of Igbo interests.

“During our discussion, Nnamdi Kanu, appearing healthier and more composed, reaffirmed his resilience despite his current circumstances. He expressed deep frustration over the lack of strong Igbo leadership, a void that has allowed the voice of the region to fade at a critical moment.

“He reflected on the abandonment of past freedom fighters, particularly Ralph Uwazurike, and warned that such neglect threatens the collective struggle for self-determination.

“At the peak of our conversation, Kanu passionately reiterated his call for a referendum, emphasizing that this is the only legitimate path forward. He maintained that he has committed no offense other than urging our people to rise from their slumber.

“His unwavering confidence in his legal team and his hope for release by the end of April 2025 stand as a testament to his dedication and fortitude.

“As our meeting drew to a close, I was moved by his resilience. Despite years of incarceration, his spirit remains unbroken. His message to the Igbo community was clear: we must never forsake those who have sacrificed for our liberation.

“In light of this encounter, I issue an earnest appeal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. I call on him to embrace the spirit of democracy and justice that once defined his own struggles and take decisive action to secure the freedom of our brother and hero, Nnamdi Kanu.

“Let this moment serve as a turning point—a renewed commitment to safeguarding the rights, dignity, and future of the Igbo people.”

Continue Reading

Politics

You traveled to France while Nigerians suffer insecurity, hunger – Bode George knocks Tinubu

Published

on

Spread the love

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Bode George has accused President Bola Tinubu of travelling to France when Nigeria is experiencing series of insecurity crisis.

George said it was shameful that while Nigerians don’t feel safe anymore, Tinubu’s administration was focused on trivial matters like recalling suspended Kogi Central Senator, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, disclosed this in a statement he signed, titled: ‘Whither Nigeria, my beloved country.’

He said, “Today, and with the series of crises, insecurity, hunger, joblessness and other vices in the country, President Bola Tinubu has taken off to Paris, France for reasons best known to him and his handlers.

“Nigerians don’t feel safe anymore in their fatherland, but the Federal Government, All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Senate are only interested in recalling Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan. What a shame!

“Aside from the fact that history is a faithful record of the past, it is also a prophecy of what is coming. That is why Fela’s song is still apt, decades after. Today, I see what led to the collapse of the First and Second republics being repeated by the APC-led Federal Government.”

On Wednesday, President Tinubu jetted out of Nigeria to France.

Tinubu’s spokesman, Bayo Onanuga said the president is expected to “return to Nigeria in about a fortnight”.

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump signs order ending duty-free treatment for cheap shipments from China

Published

on

Spread the love

President Donald Trump of the United States on Wednesday signed an executive order that closes a trade loophole known as “de minimus” that has allowed low-value packages from China and Hong Kong to enter the United States free of duties.

Trump signed the order, which takes effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time May 2, in the Rose Garden of the White House after announcing sweeping new tariffs on global trading partners.

According to the the White House, the move came after Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick certified adequate systems are in place to collect tariff revenue” on the shipments.

The White House said that imported goods from China and Hong Kong sent outside the international postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to all applicable duties.

It added that Imported goods sent through the postal network and valued at or under $800 would now be subject to a duty rate of either 30% of their value or $25 per item, with that rate increasing to $50 per item after June 1.

Recall that Trump had signed an initial order on February 1 ending duty-free entry for the cheap Chinese goods, but later paused the order because of logistical issues complicating the inspection of millions of the low-value shipments.

Ekwutosblog reports that the number of shipments entering the US through the duty-free route has exploded in recent years, reaching nearly 1.4 billion packages last year.

Trump campaigned on a promise to punish China for the role it has played in the synthetic opioid crisis that has killed more than 450,000 Americans in the last decade.

Trump’s order affecting de minimis parcels was paused on February 7 because there had not been sufficient time to prepare, with packages stacking up at ports of entry.

The White House said carriers transporting the Chinese and Hong Kong postal items must report shipment details to US Customs and Border Protection, CBP, maintain an international carrier bond to ensure duty payment, and remit duties to CBP on a set schedule.

 

Continue Reading

Trending