Connect with us

Health

Argentina follows Trump’s lead and withdraws from the WHO

Published

on

World Health Organization
  • Welcome to MAGAland podcast: Trump’s tariffs, Elon’s USAID takeover – and how aviation safety hangs in the balance. Listen here

Argentina has followed in the footsteps of Donald Trump by dramatically announcing that it will pull out of the World Health Organization.

The move echoes President Trump’s executive order unveiled last month, which declared America would no longer be part of the international health body.

Argentina’s announcement was made during a press conference on Wednesday afternoon by the country’s presidential spokesman, Manuel Adorni.

Mr Adorni said President Javier Milei’s decision was based on ‘deep differences regarding health management especially during the [Covid-19] pandemic’, adding Argentina would not ‘allow an international body to interfere in our sovereignty’.

He said the WHO’s pandemic management, along with decisions made by former President Alberto Fernández, ‘led [Argentina] to the longest lockdown in human history’ and to Buenos Aires being subject to ‘certain countries’ political influence’.

President Trump last move said he withdrew America from the WHO because he believes the US was being ripped off by the organization, describing the federal government’s overpayments over the years as ‘onerous’.

He compared the $500 million the US contributes to the WHO each year to the $39 million Chinapays, despite China’s 1.4 billion population being over four times that of the US.

Trump said withdrawing from the WHO, one of his first executive orders signed within hours of his inauguration on Monday, was due to a ‘failure to adopt urgently needed reforms.’

The President had previously has repeatedly called the health body a puppet of Beijing for failing to hold China accountable for the early spread of Covid-19.

Argentina is following the USA and cutting ties with the World Health Organization (file image)

 

Trump made withdrawing from the WHO one of the first moves in his return to the White House

 

America’s withdrawal from the WHO marked a dramatic shift in US global health policy and could further isolate Washington from international efforts to battle pandemics.

The departure also denies the healthy body of its biggest donor with the US providing the WHO with about 16 per cent of its funding in 2022-23.

The move came four years after Trump first attempted to withdraw from the health body during the Covid-19 pandemic, a move that was ultimately blocked by Joe Biden after the 2020 election.

Withdrawing from the WHO was one of a raft of executive orders signed by Trump in his first week, alongside placing all DEI employees in the federal government on leave, rescinding 78 Biden-era executive orders, and releasing classified documents related to the assassinations of JFK and MLK Jr.

Speaking at the time of the US President’s announcement, former White House COVID-19 response coordinator Ashish Jha said Trump’s team wanted to move faster this time around than four years ago.

‘There are lots of people who are going to be part of the inner circle of the administration who do not trust the WHO and want to symbolically show on day one that they are out,’ he told the Financial Times.

This is a breaking news story, more to follow. 

Read more

Health

I’ve Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer – Blessing CEO Confirms Cancer Battle, Solicits Financial Help (Video)

Published

on

Nigerian social media influencer and self-proclaimed relationship expert, Blessing CEO, has shared an update regarding her health.

In a post on her Instagram page, the relationship coach revealed that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer and that doctors have recommended urgent surgery to remove one or both breasts to stop the disease from spreading.

She explained that making the decision to undergo surgery was very difficult, describing the emotional toll and challenges she faces.

She also disclosed that her resources have been stretched, prompting her to seek financial help to cover the cost of the operation.

This development follows her earlier announcement that she would sell some of her personal belongings, including her car, wigs, and Lagos mansion, to raise funds for treatment.

She shared an account number in the video to receive contributions and asked her followers to support her in any way they can.

She said: “My name is Okoro Blessing Nkiruka and I’m popularly known as Blessing CEO. I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. At this point, an urgent surgery is needed for amputation to stop the spread or to know how far the spread has gone.

“If they’re taking off one of the breasts or both of it, trust me, it was a very hard decision to come here. But the truth is, when predicaments like this come for you, you become powerless. I might not be able to do anything, work, influence, resources has gone into this.

“And that’s why I’m here pleading. If I have ever touched you before, if my words have ever shown any positive in your life, if you ever say Blessing CEO I love you, this is the time to show it.

“Thank you so much for the love. My phone is buzzing. God bless every one of you. Nothing is too small. I just want to be fine. Thank you so much. I’m going to put an account number on this video, hoping to start up the surgery as fast as possible. Thank you so much to those of you who reposted, shared. God bless every one of you.

“Thank you so much. I love you guys. I need all the love, all the advice I’ve given to you guys. You’re going to have to give it back to me. Thank you so much. Thank you so much. I have never been this clueless all my life.

“I thought I was a jagaban. I thought I was so strong. I thought I was so strong. Being strong is now my biggest weakness. Thank you so much. God bless you.”

Continue Reading

Health

Jehovah’s Witnesses Review Blood Transfusion Policy On Members

Published

on

Jehovah’s Witnesses have announced an update on their long-standing position on blood transfusions.

In a video published on the group’s official website on Friday, the church stated that members are allowed to make personal decisions on the use of their own blood during medical procedures.

A member of the Governing Body, Gerrit Lösch, said the clarification is intended to help adherents navigate medical choices without departing from biblical teachings

The church, however, maintains that the prohibition on receiving another person’s blood still stands.

He explained that while the doctrine requiring Christians to abstain from blood remains unchanged, the scriptures do not directly address the use of one’s own blood in clinical settings.

“Regarding the use of one’s own blood…a Christian must decide for himself how his own blood will be handled in the course of a surgical procedure, medical test, or current therapy,” he said.

According to him, members are now free to decide whether to permit procedures where their blood is temporarily removed, stored, and later returned to the body.

“Some Christians may decide that they would allow their blood to be stored and then be given back to them. Others may object. Each Christian must make his personal decision on all matters involving the use of his own blood with regard to medical or surgical care,” Lösch added.

He noted that practices such as blood testing, dialysis, and the use of heart-lung machines have already been widely accepted among adherents.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigerian MSc Nursing student arrested for fra¥d in India

Published

on

 

Meerut police in Uttar Pradesh have uncovered a major cyber fra¥d racket involving Nigerian students, arresting one suspect, Saifu Mayana Umar, an MSc Nursing student.

Victims across India were reportedly duped with promises of high returns through investments in foreign companies and stock markets. Investigations have linked Umar and his associates, including a Nigerian national named Yusuf, to at least 16 cyber fra¥d cases.

The gang allegedly used an organized network to lure victims, quickly withdrawing transferred funds through multiple bank accounts and ATMs to avoid detection. Authorities have traced transactions totaling approximately ₹45 lakh in Umar’s bank account, connected to cases mainly from southern states.

The probe involved cyber units from Telangana and Tamil Nadu, who coordinated with Meerut police to apprehend Umar from his hostel. During searches, police recovered electronic devices, ATM cards, bank passbooks, a SIM card, a passport, a cheque book, and mobile phones, all sent for forensic examination to trace the wider network.

Investigators noted that one associate attempted to des+roy banking documents, but some financial records were recovered for scrutiny. Transaction details are also being traced to follow international money flows.

During questioning, Umar admitted that some funds in his account were deposited by Yusuf and subsequently withdrawn. Other names have emerged in the investigation, and warrants are being sought, including potential international cooperation.

Umar has since been released on notice, with his passport confiscated and confinement to the university hostel.

Continue Reading

Trending