Connect with us

Trending

BREAKING: Age-Falsifying Senior Police Officers Threaten IGP Egbetokun, Demand His Retirement Alongside Theirs, Call His Post-Retirement Actions Illegal

Published

on

SaharaReporters learnt from police sources on Sunday that Lough, Owohunwa and the other officers invited to appear before the disciplinary committee may be demoted or dismissed outright.

 

Six senior police officers implicated in age falsification and circumventing service regulations are threatening the Nigerian Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, insisting that he must retire along with them.

The six officers are Idowu Owohunwa, Simon Lough, SAN, Benneth Igweh, Aina Emmanuel, Salama Wakili Abdul, and Adepoju Olugbenga.

SaharaReporters reported on Saturday that Egbetokun had ordered these senior police officers who are either over 60 years old or have served for more than 35 years and refused to retire, to appear before a disciplinary committee at the Force Headquarters in Abuja.

The hearings are scheduled between Monday, February 10, and Thursday, February 13.

Meanwhile, SaharaReporters learnt from police sources on Sunday that Lough, Owohunwa and the other officers invited to appear before the disciplinary committee may be demoted or dismissed outright.

“The goal of the IGP Force Disciplinary Committee (FDC) is to reduce the ranks and/or dismiss them outright,” a source said.

Sources also informed SaharaReporters that in addition to refusing to retire unless Egbetokun—who has also surpassed his retirement age—retires with them, the senior officers assert that all actions taken by the police chief (Egbetokun) since his official retirement date on September 4, 2024, are null and void.

They argue that all actions taken by Egbetokun since then are illegal, including his issuance of retirement letters to them, which they have refused to acknowledge.

“The senior police officers invited to appear before a disciplinary committee are threatening the police IG Egbetokun, saying that he must retire along with them since he has also passed his retirement and only saved by the President and the National Assembly,” one of the sources said.

“They also said that every action taken by Egbetokun since last September 4, his official retirement date, is illegal, including, but not limited to, the issuance of retirement letters to them, which they have refused to honour.”

Additionally, the senior police officers have seized upon the directive to appear before the disciplinary committee in their “working dress” as an admission by the police authorities that they are still very much in active service.

“They are also saying that if he ordered them to arrive in uniform for disciplinary action after they have been purportedly retired, then he is accepting that they are still in service,” one of the sources said.

SaharaReporters earlier reported that the police officers and many others were implicated in forgery, falsification, and bypassing service regulations.

Meanwhile, SaharaReporters learnt that almost 500 police officers were implicated in the scandal involving forgery, age falsification, and bypassing service regulations. However, some have quietly retired.

“There are also others who went to the National Industrial Court on Friday, with the IG’s lawyer promising not to retire them,” one of the sources said.

 

BACKGROUND 

On Saturday, SaharaReporters reported that the Inspector General of Police, Egbetokun, had ordered that the senior police officers who refused to retire should appear before a disciplinary committee.

The police signal dated February 7, 2025 and obtained by SaharaReporters on Saturday, reads, “

“INGENPOL directs you warn and release AP. No. 50645 Idowu Owohunwa, AΡ/ΝΟ. 50703, AIG Benneth Igweh, ΑΡ/ΝΟ. 41704, CP Aina Emmanuel, AP/NO.41741, CP Salama Wakili Abdul, ΑΡ/ΝΟ. 46522, Adepoju Olugbenga Adewole, AP/NO. 57917 DCP Simon Lough, SAN, serving yours to appear before the Force Disciplinary Committee (FDC) sitting from 10/02/2025 ΤΟ 13/05/2025.

 

“Time 1000HRS; venue IGP’S Conference Hall, 7th floor, Force Headquarters, Abuja. They are to report in their clean working dress; note daily dress code to be strictly adhered to. Treat as very important please.”

 

On Friday, SaharaReporters exclusively reported that a mutiny was brewing within the Nigeria Police Force, as over 200 senior officers were refusing to retire despite being found to have falsified their birth records.

SaharaReporters learnt that some of the officers had been serving for up to 44 years and that the development had led to tensions between Egbetokun and the Deputy Inspector General of the Federal Investigation Department, Dasuki Galandanchi.

Galandanchi is seeking a two-year extension, citing the precedent set by Egbetokun, who was granted an extension despite being due for retirement last year.

Galandanchi is set to retire next month, but SaharaReporters learnt that the police IG Egbetokun was not keen on having Galandanchi around due to concerns about his personal conduct and behaviour. He has been described as having a reckless lifestyle and a larger-than-life demeanour.

 

“Galandanchi is stating that if he must retire, Egbetokun must also retire,” one of the sources privy to happenings in the Force said.

“He is at war with Egbetokun over the issue and has requested for two-year extension.”

 

On July 23, 2024, SaharaReporters reported that the Nigerian Senate had passed a controversial amendment bill to extend Egbetokun’s tenure beyond September.

The Nigerian Senate passed the Police Act (Amendment) Bill 2024 to amend the Police Act of 2020.

President Bola Tinubu had sent the Police Act Amendment Bill to the House of Representatives, proposing changes to the tenure of the IGP.

 

 

On February 5, SaharaReporters reported that IGP Egbetokun had directed the immediate retirement of senior police officers who had either exceeded the age of 60 or served for more than 35 years.

The directive was outlined in a letter dated February 1, 2025, signed by CP Bode Akinbamilowo, Deputy Force Secretary, on behalf of the Inspector General of Police. It was addressed to Deputy Inspectors-General of Police, Assistant Inspectors-General of Police, Commandants of Police Staff Colleges in Jos and Kano, Commissioners of Police, and Commandants of Police Colleges nationwide.

The letter is titled “Re: Police Service Commission Decision At Its 1st Extra Ordinary Meeting Of The 6th Management Board On The Regularisation Of Date Of First Appointment Of Cadet ASPs/Inspectors Force Entrants.”

 

It reads, “Attached letter No. CH: 8400.IGP.SEC/ABJ/VOL.17/90 dates 31st January, 2025 with its attachments received from the Inspector General of Police, Force Headquarters Abuja in respect of the above underlined subject refers.

“I am to convey the directive of the Inspector General of Police that you ensure comprehensive implementation of the decision with emphasis on paragraphs 3 and 4 of the attachment letter under reference.”

The PSC’s decision, referenced in the letter, was previously communicated to the IGP in a letter dated January 31, 2025, and signed by Nnamani Onyemuche, Secretary to the PSC.

Paragraphs 3 and 4 to be given emphasis read: “Accordingly, the Commission at its 1st extraordinary meeting of the 6th Management Board held on Friday 31st January 2025 has approved the immediate retirement of those officers who have spent 35 years in service and those above 60 years of age.

 

“Any omission discovered subsequently on this issue also falls within this approval.”

Paragraph 5 reads: Please implement, inform the affected officers and make replacement for the vacancies thereafter immediately and forward to the commission for its consideration and approval.”

On the list of those who should have retired but still in service going by their dates of enlistment are: Simon Asamber Lough who should have retired on January 8, 2022 going by his date of enlistment.

Others listed include Benneth Chinedu Igweh (January 5, 2023), Akinbayo Olasukami Olasoji, Louis Chike Nwabuwa, Mukar Sule, Adamu Danjuma, Ajao Olusegun, and Iriemi Solomon.

SaharaReporters reported on Friday, January 31, 2025 that the PSC had approved the immediate retirement of senior police officers who were over 60 years old or had served for 35 years.

 

The PSC approved the retirement of the senior officers at its first extraordinary meeting.

Ikechukwu Ani, PSC Head of Press and Public Relations, in a statement on Friday, said the “PSC rose from its first extraordinary meeting with the approval for the immediate retirement of senior police officers who have spent more than 35 years in service and those above 60 years of age”.

 

The Commission Chairman, DIG Hashimu Argungu (rtd), presided over the extraordinary meeting, which also had in attendance Justice Adamu Paul Galumje, retired Justice of the Supreme Court and Hon. Commissioner representing the Judiciary; DIG Taiwo Lakanu (rtd), Hon. Commissioner representing the Police and Chief Onyemuchi Nnamani, Secretary to the Commission.

 

Ani said the Commission’s decision had been conveyed to the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, for implementation.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending