Connect with us

Politics

Breaking: Terrorism Charge: I’m ready to negotiate with FG, Kanu tells court

Published

on

Nnamdi Kanu
Spread the love

 

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri

ABUJA–The detained leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, has expressed his readiness to enter into a negotiation with the Federal Government.

Kanu took the position on Wednesday, at the resumed proceeding on the seven-count terrorism and treasonable felony charge the FG entered against him before the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.

His team of lawyers, led by Mr. Alloy Ejimakor, noted that Section 17 of the Federal High Court Act, made provision for amicable resolution of such matters.

Ejimakor, notified the court of the decision of his team to explore the option, after he moved two applications that were filed by his client.

Whereas one of the applications, sought the committal of the Director General of the Department of State Services, DSS, Mr. Yusuf Bichi, to prison for contempt of court, the second motion challenged the jurisdiction of the court to continue with the trial.

According to Kanu’s lawyer, he would be left with no option but to activate section 17 of the FHC Act, should the court dismiss the two applications he moved on behalf of his client.

“Section 17 of Federal High Court Rules, states that in any proceedings, the court may consider reconciliation and settlement,” Ejimakor added.

On his part, FG’s lawyer, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN, said he had earlier informed the defendant that he lacked the powers to embark on such negotiation since it was not part of the Fiat that was issued to him by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

He maintained that only the AGF has the authority to negotiate or take further steps in relation to the matter, noting that the case borders on alleged terrorism.

“If he is interested in negotiating, he knows the right place, the Attorney General of the Federation office,” Adegboyega, SAN, stated.

Reacting to the development, trial Justice Binta Nyako said the duty of the court was to hear the matter that was brought before it and not to act as a solicitor for any of the parties.

He said it was left for the parties to agree on the way they want the matter to go.

“If you want to discuss with the AGF, no problem at all,” Justice Nyako added.

It will be recalled that Kanu was first arrested in Lagos on October 14, 2015, upon his return to the country from the United Kingdom, UK.

Justice Nyako had on April 25, 2017, granted him bail on health ground, after he had spent about 18 months in detention.

Upon the perfection of the bail conditions, he was on April 28, 2017, released from the Kuje prison.

However, midway into the trial, the IPOB leader escaped from the country after soldiers invaded his country home at Afara Ukwu Ibeku in Umuahia, Abia State, an operation that led to the death of some of his followers.

Kanu was later re-arrested in Kenya on June 19, 2021 and extraordinarily renditioned back to the country by security agents on June 27, 2021.

Following the development, the trial court, on June 29, 2021, remanded him in custody of DSS, where he remained till date.

On April 8, 2022, the court struck out eight out of the 15-count charge that FG preferred against him on the premise that they lacked substance.

Likewise, the Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal, on October 13, 2022, ordered Kanu’s immediate release from detention even as it quashed the charge against him.

Dissatisfied with the decision, FG took the matter before the Supreme Court, even as it persuaded the appellate court to suspend the execution of the judgement, pending the determination of its appeal.

While deciding the appeal, the Supreme Court, on December 15, 2023, vacated the judgement of the appellate court and gave FG the nod to try the IPOB leader on the subsisting seven-count charge.

 

Politics

Imo LG Polls: Our eyes are on you, NYA tells Imo govt, ISIEC

Published

on

Spread the love

 

 

The National Youth Alliance NYA Imo state chapter has warned the Imo state government and the Imo state electoral commission ISIEC that Imo youths are watching them as the local government election is underway .

The Youth body rising from her executive meeting held over the weekend in Owerri, made it clear that Imo youths won’t tolerate the repeat of the shameless rigging of the House of Assembly and Gubernatorial elections of 2023, maintaining that ,such era is gone.

Speaking further, the state chairman of NYA in Imo state, Comrade Chinonso Uba Nonsonkwa, commended the apex Court for the landmark judgement delivered last week where the state governors were permanently banned from tampering with local government funds. He described the judgement as a victory for not just democracy but the ordinary man on the street of Nigeria.

The organization expressed happiness at the declaration of Imo youths for the positions of chairman and councillor in their various local government areas and wards, stating that this is a good omen for the youths while urging them to keep pushing till the last whistle.

At this juncture, the organization warned the Imo state electoral commission ISIEC not to allow itself to be used by the government of the day to twart the wishes of Ndi Imo, noting that such a move would be vehemently resisted by Imo youths .

The state chairman of NYA Imo state, went further to urge all Imo youths to sieze this opportunity to lunch themselves into politics and learn the ropes as to pave way for more participation of Imo youths come 2027 general elections.

He reiterated the support of Imo youths for all youths contesting for the Imo Local government election irrespective of political party and urge the older aspirants to give the youths a chance to Excel politically.

The organization also urged the governor not to interfere in the primary election of political parties so as not to truncate the credible process of producing the right candidates.

Finally, the organization said, it will monitor the primary and general election when the time comes to ensure that due processes are duly followed.

Meanwhile,those who wish to join the National Youth Alliance NYA Imo state Should send their name, LGA and Ward to 08133050089.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP rubbishes Shaibu’s defection to APC, Ganduje boasts of victory in Edo

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The membership of the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress swelled on Saturday as the reinstated Deputy Governor of the state, Philip Shaibu, alongside prominent members with their supporters dumped the Peoples Democratic Party.

The decamping, which took place in Benin at the inauguration of the National Campaign Council by the APC National chairman, Abdulahi Ganduje, put an end to several months of speculation over Shaibu’s continuous stay in the PDP.

The deputy governor fell out with Governor Godwin Obaseki over his ambition to succeed his principal and was impeached after he lost to Asue Ighodalo in the PDP primary.

He was, however, reinstated by the court on Wednesday by the Abuja High Court and this has further caused division between Obaseki and him.

Speaking at the event, Shaibu said he was back to add value to the APC.

He said, “On behalf of the Legacy Group, I announce our movement to the APC. We have come to add value to the party.

“It is time to take back our state. We will not talk too much because action will speak for us. We are not afraid; we are ready to move forward.

“We, the home boys, are ready to take our state back through the APC governorship candidate, Monday Okpebholo and his running mate, Dennis Idahosa. We are not trouble makers but if it comes, we will use it to rub our body and move on.”

Ganduje, while inaugurating the National Campaign Council of the party for the September 21 governorship election headed by Cross River State Governor, Bassey Otu, received the defectors.

The APC national chairman said since Shaibu was a serving deputy governor, the party had 50 per cent of the people of Edo State.

He disclosed that the party would soon organise a grand rally in Benin to be attended by President Bola Tinubu, saying that the APC governorship candidate, Senator Monday Okpebholo, and his running mate, Dennis Idahosa “are not coming with MOUs but concrete plans to develop Edo State and to connect the state to the centre”.

Also speaking, Oshiomhole, a Senator representing Edo North, lamented that development legacy recorded by his administration in all sectors of the state had not been sustained by the Obaseki’s government.

He said Okpebholo’s major strength is empathy because he contributed millions to boost security in Esan land years back.

Speaking on the recent attack on Shaibu and Okpebholo convoy, which claimed the life of a police inspector, Oshiomhole called on the state Commissioner of Police, Funsho Adeboye to defend the integrity of his uniform by producing the killers of the police officer.

Wishing Shaibu well in the official endeavours, the Chairman of the PDP in the state, Tony Aziegbemi, said those who were calling to join the party after Shaibu’s exit were more than those leaving.

He said, “I wish them good luck in their official endeavours. The PDP cannot be depleted because of this.

“Every vote counts but those who are now coming to us because of his exit are more than those who are leaving the party, so we are good. People have been calling me since he left to say they want to join our party.

Remember to follow me for more updates……….

Continue Reading

Politics

Biden Tests Positive To COVID-19 – Cancels Campaign Event

Published

on

Joe Biden
Spread the love

 

 

United States President Joe Biden has cancelled a campaign speech he was scheduled to have in Las Vegas after testing positive for COVID-19

Ekwutosblog reports that the White House confirmed President Biden is experiencing mild symptoms and is isolating at the White House.
He will continue to carry out his duties as president while following isolation protocols.
This is his second bout with COVID-19, having first tested positive in July 2022.
“President Biden is vaccinated, boosted, and he is experiencing mild symptoms following a positive COVID-19 test,” a post by the White House on X reads.
“He will be returning to Delaware where he will self-isolate and will continue to carry out all of his duties fully during that time.
“The President presented this afternoon with upper respiratory symptoms, to include rhinorhea (runny nose) and non-productive cough, with general mailaise.
“He felt okay for his first event of the day, but given that he was not feeling better, point of care testing for COVID-19 was conducted, and the results were positive for the COVID-19 virus.
“Given this, the President will be self-isolating in accordance with CDC guidance for symptomatic individuals. PCR confirmation testing will be pending.
“His symptoms remain mild, his respiratory rate is normal at 16, his temperature is normal at 97.8 and his pulse oximetry is normal at 97%. The President has received his first dose of Paxlovid. He will be self-isolating at his home in Rehoboth.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending