Connect with us

Business

CBN returns to S4 platform for N365 billion T-Bills Auction

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has reverted to the use of its Scruples Securities Settlement System (S4) for the electronic submission of Treasury Bills auction bids, following a brief suspension after its initial test-run in November.

Ekwutosblog understands the system was suspended following a glitch, which has now been resolved.

The latest move comes ahead of a N365 billion Treasury Bills auction scheduled for Thursday, December 17 – 18, 2025, reinforcing the apex bank’s resolve to tighten controls, enhance transparency and improve price discovery in the primary fixed income market.

The bids are to be submitted on Wednesday, December 17, 2025, while successful bidders will be required to settle their obligations on Thursday, December 18.

Market participants see the decision as a signal that the CBN is pressing ahead with reforms despite earlier operational inconsistencies. According to Mr. Tajudeen Olayinka, CEO of Wyoming Capital Partners, the move signals a renewed push for transparency in primary market auctions as the apex bank advances fixed income reforms.

Auction Details: N365 billion across three tenors 

According to auction guidelines issued last weekend, the CBN will offer a total of N365 billion across three short-dated tenors:

  • 91-day bills: N100 billion
  • 182-day bills: N100 billion
  • 364-day bills: N165 billion

The auction will be conducted using the Dutch auction system, with bids to be submitted exclusively via the S4 web interface between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 17, 2025.

Each bid must be made in multiples of N1,000, subject to a minimum subscription of N50.001 million, while successful bidders are required to settle by 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, December 18.

Second attempt after November test-run 

This December auction marks the second activation of mandatory S4 usage, following the first implementation at the November 20, 2025 Treasury Bills auction, when the CBN raised over N700 billion.

Although the S4 system was briefly suspended in subsequent issuances—where bids were routed through Money Market Dealers (MMDs)—sources close to the apex bank said the pause reflected a work-in-progress transition, not a policy reversal.

Nairametrics gathered that the CBN expects to conclude the reform process before year-end, after which S4 will become fully operational for all government securities.

CBN seeks visibility, not market takeover 

Speaking at a Premium Times Academy workshop in Lagos recently, Mr. Zeal Akariwe, CEO of Graeme Blaque Advisory, said the CBN’s objective is real-time visibility, not a takeover of the control of the fixed income market.

“Did CBN take over? No. What the CBN wants is transparency and visibility over the market, not takeover. That visibility did not exist,” Akariwe said.

Akariwe, whose firm provides advisory services to CBN, stressed that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) remains the statutory regulator, while the CBN’s actions are corrective measures to address structural weaknesses in the market.

Why transparency matters to CBN 

Akariwe highlighted how loopholes in the old system enabled profit concealment. He cited cases where banks and pension funds routed bond trades through brokers to hide gains from regulators.

In one illustration, Akariwe said a pension fund holding a 10% coupon bond bought at N100 could sell via an intermediary at N120, allowing the N20 profit to be shared discreetly among parties without regulatory visibility. “The CBN says we can’t have this where we cannot see it,” he noted.

Concerns had earlier emerged over inconsistent use of issuance platforms, with some auctions conducted via S4 and others through MMDs. Akariwe acknowledged this but described it as part of a transition phase.

Beyond auctions, the S4 rollout aligns with Governor Olayemi Cardoso’s broader reform agenda, spanning financial markets, banking supervision, compliance, and FX reforms, aimed at embedding transparency-driven systems that outlast the current administration.

With the return to S4 for the December auction, the CBN appears set to make electronic bidding the new normal in Nigeria’s government securities market.

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers

Published

on

 

The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.

The statement read

“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.

The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.

This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.

Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”

Continue Reading

Business

CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.

Published

on

 

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.

According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.

The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.

“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.

The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.

The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.

“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.

The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.

“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.

“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.

Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.

The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.

Continue Reading

Trending