Connect with us

Politics

Congress MP Shashi Tharoor calls US deportation of Indians in military plane “quite unnecessary”

Published

on

Congress MP Shashi Tharoor (Photo/ANI) © Provided by Asian News International (ANI)

New Delhi [India], February 6 (ANI): As a USmilitary aircraft carrying more than 100 Indian citizens who allegedly illegally migrated to the US arrived in Amritsar on Wednesday, Congress MP Shashi Tharoor said that the US has the right to deport a person if they are staying there illegally.

However, he stated that the manner in which the US was deporting Indian citizens was “unnecessary” as they were not criminals and had no bad intentions.

Speaking to ANI, Tharoor said that the US should have deported Indians on a commercial aircraft or a civilian plane. He stressed that deportation should have been conducted in a more “humane manner.” He also highlighted that over 1100 Indians were deported under the Biden administration in 2024.

On the US deportation of Indian citizens who allegedly illegally migrated to the US, Shashi Tharoor said, “It’s not the first time we’ve had people deported. It’s just that the media has suddenly woken up to the story because Mr Trump has done it perhaps a bit quicker than people expected, but already last year under the Biden administration where over 1100 Indians were being deported back. If you’re illegally in the US, the US has a right to deport you, and if your identity as an Indian is confirmed India has an obligation to accept you. So, in both cases, there really isn’t very much debate. However, it wasn’t good to hear that they were brought back forcibly in the military plane and handcuffed and so on, that was quite unnecessary.”

“It should have been enough to either put them on a commercial aircraft or a civilian plane and send them back. You can, if you want to do a mass deportation, do civilian charters, that would have been the more humane thing to do. They may, strictly speaking, have broken your laws by coming into your country, but by and large, they have no bad intentions. They’re not criminals. They’re not convicted of anything else. They’re there to make a better life for themselves which they have done by violating your laws. So, you can send them out, no problem, but handcuffing them and putting them in a military aircraft and sending them in this way, I think India should say that this is not entirely advisable,” he added.

A US Air Force plane carrying Indian citizens who allegedly illegally migrated to the US arrived in Punjab’s Amritsar on Wednesday. Earlier on Tuesday, a US Embassy spokesperson said that while specific details cannot be shared, the United States is vigorously enforcing its border and immigration laws. The spokesperson emphasised that the actions taken send a “clear message that illegal migration is not worth the risk.”

Congress MP said that he had asked for an immigration bill when he was the chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on External Affairs from 2014-2019 and stressed that the bill was required as the existing immigration bill in India is 1983 and called it out of date. He said that deportation of illegal migrants is just one of the immigration bill.

Asked whether the Ministry of External Affairs(MEA) has given any response to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on External Affairs on the law for safe immigration, Shashi Tharoor said, “First of all, you know, what goes on in the committee is not supposed to be discussed publicly, but I should say, That the question of an immigration bill has been public knowledge for several years. When I chaired the committee from 2014 to 2019, I had asked for an immigration bill because the existing immigration bill in India is 1983 and it’s grossly out of date. It has not done anything to take into account the realities of immigration in the last 40 years and therefore an updated bill was necessary. It needs to take into account the various challenges that we have that have arisen in recent years that we have seen.”

“Deportation of illegal migrants is only one part of it, but safe and orderly and legal migration, migration of guest workers with the right to come back, migration of people for permanent settlement, migration of those going, for example, to countries like the Gulf where they’re taken in bulk by contract labourers, what are their rights? What are the privileges, what are the duties of the embassies and all these places? There are a number of issues. It’s not a small matter. And the government has been promising us a bill since 2016, 2015 or 2016 when Sushma Swaraj ji had written to me confirming that they were working on a bill. It is now almost 9 years and there is still no bill in sight, so it is widely known that the committee and members of the committee have been demanding that this be expedited. They have promised that within a fairly short period of time, there will be a bill that will be presented for public consultations after interministerial consultation, and I have urged that we should all be taken into confidence on how this is being discussed. But, it’s not, specifically linked to the current problem of deportation alone, it’s an old issue,” he added.

Shashi Tharoor said that he has read interviews with a couple of people who claimed they were handcuffed. He stressed that US should not treat Indians like that and called it “totally unacceptable.

On being asked about reports that Indian migrants were sent back handcuffed, he said, “Well, people say they’ve seen pictures. I personally have not. I had a busy day yesterday. I didn’t see any of the footage, but if it is true, and I’ve certainly read interviews with a couple of people who claimed they were handcuffed, then it is really unacceptable. There is no need to treat Indians like this. They are citizens. They have a right to be in their own country with dignity, yes, they should not have broken the law, but handcuffing them on the way back, I think it’s totally unnecessary, and, and this kind of thing, to be honest, is what gives, I think the whole process of deportation such a bad name. Some Latin American countries have made it very clear they will not accept military aircraft and they will not accept handcuffing and Indiashould I think take a similar stand.”

When asked about his response on mob vandalising the residence of Bangladesh’s founding leader, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, in Dhaka, Shashi Tharoor said, “It’s tragic that these things are happening, obviously. Bangladesh can turn around and say this is our internal affair, it’s none of your business, and I accept that. But, having said that, it’s also true that there are some decencies we would like to see our neighbours honour, and this was a gentleman with an enormous contribution to Bangladeshi history which cannot be wished away whether you disagree with him or his party or his daughter politically. It is truly I think shameful that such a thing would have happened and if it is true because I’ve not seen any pictures again, but if you, you’ve got confirmation this has happened, I think it would have beenpity, but I also feel that India as a foreign country can only express its own regrets that such a thing happening. It has no business to complain to the Bangladeshis because it genuinely is not our business.”

The protesters, reportedly demanding a ban on the Awami League, stormed the premises after breaking open the gate, causing widespread destruction, Dhaka Tribune reported, citing UNB. Local media linked the protest to an online speech by former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. (ANI)

Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info

Politics

2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election

Published

on

 

No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.

This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.

While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.

Major casualties

One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.

In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.

 

Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.

They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).

Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.

In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.

The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.

At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.

Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.

According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.

Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.

Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.

The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.

The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.

According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.

The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.

It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed

Published

on

A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.

Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.

Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.

He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.

The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.

Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.

He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.

“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”

However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.

It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.

On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.

Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.

The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.

He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”

He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.

Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.

Continue Reading

Trending