Connect with us

Politics

Donald Trump’s policies could add twice as much to US debt as Kamala Harris’: study

Published

on

China-targeted tariffs by former American president would lead to significant revenue loss plus ‘economic and geopolitical repercussions’

Former US president Donald Trump‘s tariff plans, including additional duties on Chinese imports, could offset US$2.7 trillion of American debt in the next decade but could also trigger revenue loss with “geopolitical repercussions”, a study has found.

Trump’s fiscal proposals could add twice as much to the national debt compared to plans under US Vice-President Kamala Harris, according to a report by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a Washington-based non-profit group, on Monday.

Policies under the Republican standard-bearer, who has proposed further tax cuts for corporations and replacing individual income tax with tariffs, could add to the US budget deficit by up to US$15.15 trillion compared to US$8.1 trillion under his Democratic opponent’s plans, the non-partisan group said.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

Trump has long advocated the idea of imposing high tariffs on US imports, arguing they could create jobs domestically and shrink the federal deficit.

Since launching his 2024 bid for the White House, the former president has proposed a 10 or 20 per cent universal tariff on all imports as well as 60 per cent duties on Chinese goods.

A 10 per cent universal tariff could raise US$2.5 trillion for the American economy, the report found, or up to US$4.30 trillion if Trump goes with a 20 per cent tariff. But either amount would fall far short of making up the costs of his other fiscal policies.

In addition, his tariff plans could lead to significant revenue loss, plus “economic and geopolitical repercussions”, especially with additional duties imposed on Chinese goods.

Trump during his first term as president took aim at Beijing with tariffs on more than US$300 billion worth of mainland imports, most of which remain in effect.

On the campaign trail for the November election, he has vowed to double down with more tariffs if re-elected, accusing the world’s second-biggest economy of being responsible for a large trade deficit with the US while “stealing” American jobs.

One of Trump’s prime targets is electric vehicles, having described them as a “green new scam”. At a rally in Wisconsin on Sunday, he threatened to impose tariffs as high as 200 per cent on Chinese EVs imported from Mexico.

EVs made on the mainland already face 100 per cent tariffs under US President Joe Biden, who said the product has undercut America’s manufacturing industry.

The Biden administration has also promoted a narrative of Chinese manufacturing being at “overcapacity”, urging American allies to address the challenge too.

Last week, the European Union voted in favour of additional tariffs of up to 35 per cent on Chinese EVs from November after initial negotiations with China fell through. The two agreed to continue talks, with the latest one scheduled on Monday, according to China’s commerce ministry.

Beijing has slammed the moves by Western nations as “indiscriminate” and “unfair”, saying they disrupt global supply chains. It has retaliated by imposing export controls on critical mineralsthat are essential for making EVs.

The report’s findings follow similar research that has warned of negative impacts on the US economy should Trump’s proposed tariffs on China come to fruition.

In September, the Tax Foundation, a Washington-based think tank, estimated the 10 per cent universal tariff and 60 per cent Chinese import tariff would reduce US GDP by roughly 0.8 per cent.

Meanwhile, a report last month by the Peterson Institute for International Economics, another Washington-based think tank, asserted that Trump’s tariff measures would result in weaker economic growth, higher inflation and job losses.

If China opted to retaliate, it added, US GDP would fall by more than 0.2 per cent below the baseline by 2026 and inflation would rise by 0.6 percentage points in 2025.

More Articles from SCMP

Spirit of Hong Kong Awards: meet the company saving the planet one lunchbox at a time

Hong Kong developers to make nearly 18,000 new flats available to homebuyers

Philippines moves to define sea routes, strengthening sovereignty against China

Manchester City triumph, wild scenes in US, what happened overnight in the world of sport

Politics

FEDERAL HIGH COURT STOPS INEC FROM RESTRICTING DEFECTION TO ANOTHER PARTY AFTER CONTESTING PRIMARY

Published

on

 

Here is the judgement from the Federal High Court, Abuja today

1. INEC can only monitor 2027 primaries but cannot fix timetable for when a political party should conduct its primaries for this election

2. INEC cannot give a shorter timeframe or abridge the period in which a political party can provide information of their candidates for 2027 election

3. INEC cannot give a shorter timeframe to political parties as regards withdrawal or replacement of candidates (Placeholders)

4. INEC cannot publish any final list of candidates for 2027 elections before 60 days to election.

5. INEC cannot fix 2027 campaigns to end 2 days to elections.

6. This is AN ORDER nullifying and setting aside the timeframes imposed by INEC for 2027 General Election for:

– the conduct of primary elections by political parties for the 2027 general elections

– the submission of personal particulars of candidates by their political parties for the 2027 general elections

– the withdrawal and replacement of candidates by political parties

– the publication of the final list of candidates for the 2027 general elections and campaigning.

Is this a trap or a game changer for some aspirants???

Continue Reading

Politics

Fubara To Contest Rivers Governorship Seat Under NDC

Published

on

A Rivers State politician, Blessing Fubara, has declared his intention to contest the 2027 governorship election in Rivers State under the platform of the Nigeria Democratic Congress.

The politician has already obtained both the nomination and expression of interest forms needed to participate in the governorship race ahead of the 2027 election.

Blessing Fubara shares the same surname and local government area with the current Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara.

Both men are from Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area. However, there has been no confirmation that they are family members.

The Chairman of the NDC in Rivers State, Success Jack, confirmed that Blessing Fubara is among those seeking the party’s governorship ticket.

He also stated that he could not confirm whether the governorship aspirant is related to Governor Siminalayi Fubara.

According to him, the party is preparing seriously for the 2027 general elections and hopes to win not only the governorship seat but other elective positions in Rivers State.

The development comes weeks after Blessing Fubara left the All Progressives Congress and joined the NDC.

Following his defection in Abuja, he was received by former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, alongside other leaders and members of the party.

After joining the NDC, Blessing Fubara said his decision was taken for the interest of Rivers people.

He also stated that the future of the state must be protected ahead of the next general election, expressing confidence that the state would experience positive changes after the 2027 polls.

Continue Reading

Politics

Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Lagos Assembly Primaries, Cites Intimidation

Published

on

 

Surulere I lawmaker Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress Lagos House of Assembly primaries, citing intimidation across multiple zones.

In a viral video posted online, the lawmaker said he was stepping out of the race despite seeking re-election under the APC. He alleged that his supporters faced intimidation during the process in several parts of the constituency.

Elliot’s decision came as the primaries held across Lagos on Tuesday. Chief of Staff to the President Femi Gbajabiamila, who represents Surulere Federal Constituency, praised the conduct of the exercise in Surulere, describing it as peaceful.

The withdrawal narrows the contest for the APC ticket in Surulere I ahead of the 2027 general election. Party officials in Lagos have not yet responded to Elliot’s claims, and the APC state chapter has not announced whether the primary in the constituency will proceed with other aspirants.

Elliot has represented Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly since 2015.

 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DYkCaAiMxxt/?igsh=ZWw5czl6MHJhNnRy

Continue Reading

Trending