Connect with us

News

DSS Re-Arrests Ex-AGF Malami Over Fresh Terrorism Financing Allegations

Published

on

Operatives of the Department of State Services have re-arrested former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, shortly after his release from the Kuje Correctional Centre in Abuja.

Security sources disclosed that Malami was taken into custody on Monday immediately after perfecting his bail conditions, following fresh allegations bordering on terrorism financing.

According to the sources, DSS operatives intercepted Malami as he exited the correctional facility, weeks after he was granted bail by the Federal High Court.

Officials of the Nigerian Correctional Service confirmed that the former AGF was released after meeting all bail requirements imposed by the court.

However, efforts to obtain official confirmation from the DSS proved unsuccessful as of the time of filing this report.

Malami’s release followed a ruling delivered on January 7, 2026, by Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Abuja, granting bail to him, his wife Asabe, and their son in the sum of ₦500 million each.

The court ordered each defendant to produce two sureties with verifiable landed property in Asokoro, Maitama, or Gwarimpa, submit property documents to the court, and file affidavits of means.

They were also directed to surrender their international passports and barred from traveling outside the country without court approval.

Malami and his family members had earlier been remanded at Kuje Prison following their arraignment by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on December 29, 2025, over a 16-count charge bordering on money laundering involving about ₦8.7 billion.
The EFCC alleged that the defendants used multiple corporate entities, bank accounts, and high-value real estate transactions to launder proceeds of unlawful activities.

Amid the ongoing legal battle, Malami had accused the Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, of bias and conflict of interest, calling for his recusal from all matters relating to him.

In a statement issued by his media aide, Mohammed Bello, Malami argued that Olukoyede’s continued involvement was legally and morally indefensible, citing Chapter Nine of the Justice Ayo Salami Judicial Commission of Inquiry Report.

He claimed that as Attorney General, he supervised the establishment of the Salami Commission, where the current EFCC chairman served as secretary, creating what he described as personal and professional conflicts.

However, responding to the allegation, EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede dismissed claims of witch-hunting, insisting that the investigation of Malami was neither nor partisan.
Speaking during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunday  on January 11, Olukoyede said the probe predated his assumption of office and was being handled strictly in line with professional standards.
“If Nigeria is to move forward, all of us must agree that this fight against corruption must be conducted without partisanship,” he said.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

𝗛𝗢𝗡. 𝗧𝗢𝗦𝗞𝗔 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗠𝗡𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗞𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦, 𝗞𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗘𝗦 𝗜𝗡 𝗜𝗛𝗜𝗔𝗚𝗪𝗔, 𝗢𝗕𝗜𝗕𝗜𝗘𝗭𝗘𝗡𝗔, 𝗘𝗭𝗜𝗢𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗢, 𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗕𝗜𝗔𝗠, 𝗢𝗞𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗛𝗜, 𝗨𝗠𝗨𝗚𝗨𝗠𝗔, 𝗔𝗩𝗨 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗠𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗘𝗦: 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗜𝗠𝗠𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡

Published

on

 

Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere(TOSKA), Member Representing Owerri Federal Constituency, has strongly condemned the incessant gruesome killings, kidnappings, rapes and violent attacks carried out by unscrupulous and criminal elements terrorizing communities within Owerri Federal Constituency, especially in Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emeabiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other neighbouring communities.

The recent killings of vigilante operatives and innocent constituents at Umuguma and Ihiagwa call for urgent and deterrent response by our security agencies.

In a passionate motion raised before the Federal House of Representatives, Hon. Okere called on the Federal Government of Nigeria and relevant security agencies to immediately deploy adequate security personnel to the affected communities and take decisive actions against the worsening insecurity threatening the lives and properties of his people.

According to him, the continuous attacks on harmless villagers, farmers, women and youths can no longer be tolerated under any guise.

“I urge the Federal Government of Nigeria to urgently look into this motion and act swiftly before more innocent lives are lost. Our people deserve to live and to live in peace without fear of being kidnapped, raped or butchered in their own communities,” Hon. TOSKA stressed.

The lawmaker further emphasized that the people of Owerri Federal Constituency will not fold their arms and watch criminals continue to unleash terror across Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emebiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other communities while families continue to mourn their loved ones daily.

This courageous move by Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere has continued to attract commendations from constituents who describe his intervention as timely, bold and people-oriented.

Hon. Okere is the light and the voice of Owerri Federal Constituency.
May God keep him to keep standing for us and for our interest.

 

Continue Reading

News

TENSIONS RISE IN OGUTA LGA AS CHAIRMAN MOVED AHEAD WITH Town UNION ELECTIONS AGAINST STATE DIRECTIVE

Published

on

 

By Nwauwa Ikedi Justice

An emerging standoff between the Oguta Local Government Area executive and the Imo State Government has sparked concerns of unrest in several communities, after the council chairman proceeded with plans to conduct Town Union elections in defiance of a statewide directive from Governor Hope Uzodimma.

Last week, Hon. Ifeanyi Nnani, Executive Chairman of Oguta LGA, initiated steps to organize elections in five autonomous communities, an action seen by observers as a direct challenge to the governor’s order prohibiting local government chairmen from interfering in Town Union affairs.

The controversy stems from earlier complaints by traditional rulers across the state, who alleged that some local government chairmen had been imposing proxies as Town Union executives in their domains.

In response, Governor Uzodimma convened a statewide stakeholders’ meeting on January 17, 2026, at the Eze Imo Palace. Citing the Imo State Town Union Law No. 6 of 2003, as amended, the governor lifted the existing ban on Town Union elections and ruled that the process should be conducted in line with each community’s established customs. He also transferred supervisory responsibility from local government chairmen to the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, designating it the appropriate authority for such matters. The directive has since been credited with restoring relative peace across the state.

Despite this, sources indicate that Hon. Nnani’s administration has quietly begun conducting elections in villages within Oguta LGA without consulting the affected Town Unions or seeking clearance from the supervising ministry.

A letter dated last week and personally signed by the chairman to the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs has since come to light. Rather than seeking approval, the correspondence served as notification of the council’s intent to proceed with elections in Ndiuloukwu, Mgbala, Uworie, and Mgbele autonomous communities—a move that appears to contradict the state government’s directive.

The emergence of the letter has alarmed traditional rulers, with reports of growing unease in the affected communities. Community leaders have vowed to resist what they describe as an unlawful intrusion into their internal affairs.

Attempts to reach Hon. Nnani for comment have so far been unsuccessful, as calls to his office went unanswered.

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG

Published

on

 

The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks

“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.

The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.

If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.

Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country

Continue Reading

Trending