Connect with us

SportsNews

EPL: Fight for five Champions League spots go down to the wire

Published

on

On Friday night, the two Premier League fixtures had a huge bearing on the race to finish in Champions League places.

Aston Villa beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 at Villa Park and Chelsea edged Manchester United 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

There will be six English teams in the competition next season – the clubs that finish in top five and one of Manchester United or Tottenham Hotspur (who face each other in the Europa League final).

Villa’s win initially took them into the top five, until Marc Cucurella headed in the winner against United.

“It’s a very crucial three points for Villa,” Adava Oluwagbenga, a broadcaster with Midas Radio 90.5 FM tells Ekwutosblog.

“As it stands, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Chelsea all stand on 66 points, with Newcastle playing a game less.

“Man City is behind with 65 with a game less too – they have been undone by the draw at Southampton last week.

“But then, as it stands, every team in the top five stands a chance to qualify for the next season’s Champions League.

“So I’m not entirely sure much will change if they maintain the status quo.”

At the end of the night, second to fifth places are Arsenal, Newcastle United, Chelsea and Aston Villa.

Manchester City, who host Bournemouth next week, have dropped out for now.

Interestingly, on Sunday evening, Arsenal welcome Newcastle to the Emirates in their last home fixture of the campaign.

“Two points separates Arsenal and Newcastle – 68 and 66 points respectively,” Adava points out.

“Arsenal have faltered recently and lost ground from a seemingly unattainable position. But now, they stand a chance of losing that and I’m sure the players realized that.

“The loss to Bournemouth was unnecessary and while the comeback against champions Liverpool was somewhat heroic, they wouldn’t have needed to do that if they had done their homework.

“Against Newcastle, they will be playing in front of their fans and they are pretty solid at home while Newcastle aren’t exactly fabulous travellers.

“Arsenal knows what is at stake and I think they are going to win.”

As it stands, only Liverpool are guaranteed to play in the Champions League. Arsenal look like they will make it, along with Newcastle.

This means a top team will lose out.

“One of Aston Villa or Chelsea – if the former counts as a big team – maybe it would have been better to have said which of the teams in the top six,” Adava adds.

 

SportsNews

Chelsea mathematically out of title race after 3-0 defeat to Everton

Published

on

Chelsea are now mathematically out of the Premier League title race.

This follows their 3-0 drubbing in the hands of Everton at the Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday night.

Liam Rosenior’s men came into the match with 48 points, looking to keep pace with the teams in front of them.

However, Beto opened the scoring for the hosts in the first half, before adding a second after the break.

Chelsea barely threatened Everton and looked flat for most of the game, before Iliman Ndiaye added a third.

The result means the Blues cannot match the 70 points that league leaders Arsenal currently have with seven matches left.

Champions Liverpool are also on the verge of being mathematically ruled out, as they have 49 points.

Continue Reading

SportsNews

Super Eagles player bounced me from Iheanacho’s room — Osimhen

Published

on

Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has claimed that a senior member of the Super Eagles squad in 2017 sent him away from a hotel room during his first call-up to the national team.

According to the 27-year-old, it was Kelechi Iheanacho who intervened and welcomed him inside.

Osimhen revealed this while appearing on a Twitch livestream with comedian, Carter Efe in the early hours of Saturday.

He said: “When I came, I met Iheanacho. And I told him, ‘ah, see me, I’m gonna carry your boots.’ So he said I should come to his room so, he gave me his room number.

“So, as I got to his room — I don’t just want to mention the name — he had a roommate. So, as I knocked on the door, the roommate opened the door. So, he like bounced me out of the room.”

Osimhen refused to reveal the identity of the player who sent him away.

Continue Reading

SportsNews

AFCON 2025; Drama as Senegal Reportedly Relocates Trophy To Military Base After CAF Decision (Video)

Published

on

Drama as Senegal reportedly relocates AFCON trophy to military base after Confederation of African Football (CAF) viral decision.

‎It would be recalled that CAF stripped Senegal of their Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title, awarding it to Morocco instead.

This decision came after Morocco appealed the result of the January 18 final, where Senegal won 1-0 in extra time.

‎ According to the CAF Appeal Board, Senegal had forfeited the match due to their players walking off the pitch in protest of a penalty awarded to Morocco, citing Articles 82 and 84 of the AFCON regulations.

The controversy surrounds the AFCON final, where Senegal’s players walked off the pitch in protest of a late penalty awarded to Morocco.

In a clip circulating on the microblogging platform, X (formerly Twitter), a young man with glasses is seen holding the AFCON trophy surrounded by military personnel.

The clip captures the military personnel’s excitement as they support the trophy, with an officer recording the moment.

In a recent development, Senegal has announced plans to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), with some officials and players expressing outrage and disappointment.

The Senegalese government has also called for an international investigation into suspected corruption within CAF.

Watch video below……

Continue Reading

Trending