Connect with us

Trending

Fire destroys shops, shanties in Lagos, Plateau

Published

on

Fire destroys shops, shanties in Lagos, Plateau

 

Fire incidents have been recorded in Lagos and Plateau states destroying shops, offices and shanties in the process.

In the early hours of Wednesday, a fire ravaged some shops at Alaba Rago in the Ojo area of Lagos State.

The Permanent Secretary of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Damilola Oke-Osanyitolu, confirmed this in a statement obtained by PUNCH Metro.

According to him, the fire, which started around 10:23pm on Tuesday, was brought under control through the swift intervention of the emergency responders.

He however noted that no casualties were recorded during the incident.

“A joint response effort was launched following distress calls received by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and the Lagos State Government at 10:23 pm. The emergency response teams from LASEMA and LASG promptly deployed to the incident scene at Alaba Rago, Ojo.

“Upon arrival, responders found several shanty shops engulfed in flames. Fortunately, no casualties or injuries were reported. The cause of the fire remains under investigation,” the statement partly read.

While noting that the permanent structures at the incident scene were unaffected by the fire, he added that the shanty shops, however, were damaged.

He further stated that the agency’s Dolphin Response Team from Igando and the Lagos State Fire Service and Rescue Service responded to the distress call.

“The fire has been fully extinguished, and dampening down operations have been concluded. A post-disaster assessment was conducted to determine the true extent of the incident. Search and rescue operations have also been concluded,” the statement added.

In the Jos fire, an eyewitness disclosed that the incident, which affected shops and offices, started around 4:00 pm on Wednesday, prompting a resident to alert the Jos South and Jos North fire services.

“I came out of my office and I saw fire everywhere. I don’t know the actual cause but I was able to contact the fire service from Jos South and Jos North Local Government Areas. They were able to mobilise their people who came and right now, they are trying to quench the fire”, an eyewitness, John Michael, told our correspondent.

The Chairman of Jos South Local Government Area, Mr Silas Dung, also confirmed the fire saying, “I have just been told of the fire and I’m at the scene of the incident.”

An official of the fire service in Jos, who did not want his name in print, said his men had been deployed to the area to contain the fire and stop it from spreading to other locations.

Immediately we got the information, our people came and we have been able to put out the fire,” he said.

PUNCH Metro reports that a similar fire incident occurred last month at a timber market located in the Katato community in the Jos North Local Government Area.

The fire which started in the night affected over 200 people, a majority of whom were carpenters, and left about 107 shops burnt to ashes with goods worth over N1bn destroyed.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending