Politics
First direct peace talks: Will Putin come face-to-face with Zelenskyy?
As the world awaits news from Moscow, Russia still refuses to say if President Vladimir Putin will attend Thursday’s meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart in Turkey.
The Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said Russia will announce its representative for the expected peace talks with Ukraine in Istanbul once Putin “deems it necessary”.
He also did not confirm whether Russia’s president would attend the meeting himself or send someone else.
All Peskov said was that “the Russian side continues to prepare for the talks in Istanbul”.
Meanwhile, Kyiv is also preparing, as Zelenskyy repeated again that he is ready to come to Turkey personally and is expecting an answer from Moscow.
“Moscow has remained silent all day regarding the proposal for a direct meeting. A very strange silence”, he said on Monday evening, adding that one way or another, Russia “will have to end this war”.
“The sooner, the better. There is no sense in continuing the killing,” Zelenskyy emphasised.
Zelenskyy’s office has signalled that Ukraine’s president would not meet any other official apart from Putin, however.
Presidential advisor Mykhailo Podolyak said on Tuesday that any talks with lower-level representatives would be pointless.
“Only Putin can make a decision to continue the war or stop the war,” Podolyak said.
Podolyak is well-informed in this regard: he was representing Ukraine in the first attempted talks between Russia and Ukraine, just days after Moscow’s full-scale invasion in early 2022.
‘Istanbul 2022’
On 28 February 2022, four days into Moscow’s full-scale invasion, Ukrainian and Russian officials sat down for the first attempted negotiations to put an end to the war.
The delegations met on Ukraine’s border with Moscow’s key ally, Belarus, following the call between Zelenskyy and his counterpart in Minsk, Alexander Lukashenko.
After a few rounds of talks in Belarus and then online, the delegations met in Istanbul on 29 March 2022.
Ukraine called for an immediate ceasefire and withdrawal of Russian forces from its territory.

Tanks move during the Belarusian and Russian joint military drills at Brestsky firing range in Belarus right before full-scale invasion of Ukraine, 4 February 2022 AP/Russian Defense Ministry Press Service
Russia insisted on what the Kremlin calls “root causes” of the war, voiced by Putin, as the reasons to invade Ukraine.
According to Moscow, these include NATO’s alleged violation of commitments not to expand into eastern Europe and along Russia’s borders, the Ukrainian government’s alleged discrimination against ethnic Russians and more blurry arguments, such as what Putin calls the “denazification” of Ukraine.
Putin and Russia have failed to provide evidence for any of these allegations so far.
Now, the Kremlin wants the new round of talks to proceed from where the sides left off in March 2022.
Istanbul 2022 vs Istanbul 2025
Addressing the media outlets late at night over the weekend, Putin proposed that Russia and Ukraine “resume” the direct negotiations that he claimed “Ukraine interrupted” on 15 May 2022.
Russian presidential aide Yuriy Ushakov later reiterated the Kremlin’s official position, saying that negotiations should account for “developments of the 2022 talks”.
The Istanbul 2022 draft agreement included terms US-based think tank Institute for the Study of War equates to complete Ukrainian surrender.
According to the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, the 2022 draft protocols demanded that Ukraine forego its NATO membership aspirations and amend its constitution to add a neutrality provision that would ban Ukraine from joining any military alliances, concluding military agreements, or hosting foreign military personnel, trainers, or weapon systems in Ukraine.
Moscow also demanded that Russia, the US, the UK, China, France and Belarus serve as security guarantors of the agreement.

FILE: Russian President Vladimir Putin listens to French President Emmanuel Macron during their meeting in the Kremlin in Moscow, 7 February 2022 AP/Sputnik
Russia demanded that the guarantor states “terminate international treaties and agreements incompatible with the permanent neutrality of Ukraine” including military aid agreements.
Moscow also insisted that the Ukrainian military should be limited to 85,000 soldiers and Ukrainian missiles wouldn’t exceed the range of 40 kilometres, which would allow Russian forces to deploy critical systems and materiel close to Ukraine without fear of strikes.
Three years later, Moscow seems to be willing to insist on the same demands, despite the fact that Russia has not fulfilled any of its strategic goals in Ukraine, couldn’t capture any regional capital and has not even reached the administrative borders of Luhansk and Donetsk regions, the areas Moscow has occupied since its initial invasion in 2014.
Politics
2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election
No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.
This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.
While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.
Major casualties
One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.
In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.
Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.
They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).
Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.
In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.
The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.
At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.
Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).
Politics
PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.
According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.
Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.
Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.
The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.
The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.
According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.
The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.
It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”
Politics
Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed
A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.
Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.
Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.
He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.
The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.
Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.
He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.
“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”
However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.
It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.
On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.
Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.
The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.
He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”
He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.
Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
