Business
Fraudster Arrested For ID Theft Offers Victim N10Million To ‘Sell Her BVN’ In Osun
Authorities in Osun State have uncovered a major identity-theft ring after fraudsters, accused of stealing the BVN and NIN of local businesswoman Mrs. Fadahunsi Janet Gbemisola, allegedly tried to bribe her to “overlook” the compromise of her BVN.
The case has raised serious concerns over banking security, police integrity, and a nationwide data breach involving more than 150 Nigerians.
Mrs. Fadahunsi, who spoke to SaharaReporters on Monday, said the ordeal began on November 28, 2024, when she lost her phone in transit. The device contained her OPay and Palmpay SIM cards.
“I tried calling the phone, but it wasn’t picked,” she recalled. “By the following morning, it had been switched off, so I reported the matter to the police.”
Days later, she was locked out of her OPay account. According to her, Opay officials informed her that the breach originated from MoniePoint Microfinance Bank, even though she had never opened an account with the institution.
When she visited MoniePoint, staff presented her with an account profile, 8028946149, bearing her full name, BVN, NIN, and photograph. The only mismatched details were the address and phone number used to open the account.
“The officer told me I cannot deny the account because my picture and name were there,” she said. “I was shocked because I had never opened any MoniePoint account in my life.”
She later obtained a court order from the Chief Magistrate Court, Ejigbo (MEJ/M4/25) directing MoniePoint, GTBank, Opay, and Palmpay to lift restrictions placed on her BVN. Despite serving all institutions, she said MoniePoint denied ownership of the same account.
Frustrated, she went to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in Osogbo, where officials reviewed MoniePoint’s submission and confirmed that her BVN and NIN had indeed been used to open the fraudulent account.
“They showed me the form. My picture was there, my BVN was there, my NIN was there,” she said. “But the address and signature were not mine.”
According to her, CBN officials told her plainly that “until you find the person who used your identity, you cannot defend yourself.”
Confronted with the daunting task of tracking down the fraudster and with funds received from family members to bury a loved one frozen in her accounts, she sought help from the police.
Following a petition at the State Criminal Investigation Department in Osogbo, investigators traced the suspect, identified as Calistus Obi, to the Lagos–Ogun border and arrested him on March 28, 2025.
During investigation, the Police Monitoring Unit at Osogbo were able to recover from the suspect “67 SIM cards, multiple phones and evidence of over 150 identities, including BVN and NIN records, allegedly used to open MoniePoint accounts for their international syndicated fraudsters were discovered.”
During interrogation before the Osun State Commissioner of Police, Mrs. Fadahunsi said the suspect admitted he was working with a man called “Mike” based in China.
“He told the CP that he sends the MoniePoint accounts to the man in China and gets a percentage,” she narrated. “The CP asked him, ‘So you have sold Nigerian people to China because of money?’”
After his arrest, the suspect’s associates allegedly approached both the police and the victim with cash offers to bury the case.
“They called me and said I should say how much I want to forget my BVN,” Mrs. Fadahunsi said. “They offered up to ₦10 million. I refused.”
She also said an influential figure from Lagos contacted the police monitoring unit handling the case and asked them to collect ₦500,000 to release the suspect, but the officers declined.
Lamenting fraudsters in the Nigeria Police Force, she explained that shortly after rejecting the bribe, senior officers from Abuja ordered the Osun State Command to transferred the case to Force Headquarters with immediate effects.
“Unfortunately, the case file was transferred to Force Headquarters Cybercrime unit. When I got to Abuja, they told me the suspect had been released on bail,” she said.
“They suddenly claimed he was not the person who opened the MoniePoint account.”
Her new IPO reportedly told Mrs. Fadahunsi that “until we find the real person, you cannot use your BVN.”
She said investigators in Abuja dismissed the earlier evidence that linked the suspect directly to the phone number used to open the fraudulent MoniePoint account.
According to Mrs. Fadahunsi, attempts by her lawyer to follow up with police in Abuja were met with hostility.
“The IPO told my lawyer, ‘You said you want to write petition against me; go and write it,’ and he dropped the call,” she said.
She added that the released suspect later visited Osun CID, attempting to reclaim his confiscated SIM cards and phones, though Osun officers refused as at the last time she visited.
Months after court orders, petitions, and repeated visits to police and regulators, Mrs. Fadahunsi’s BVN remains blocked. Her GTBank, Opay, and Palmpay accounts are inaccessible.
“I cannot do business. I cannot even open another account,” she said. “My whole life is on hold.”
Growing Concern Over National Data Breach
The case has raised alarms about a massive BVN and NIN breach used to create fraudulent MoniePoint accounts allegedly used to receive funds from across the world.
With at least 150 Nigerians’ identities compromised, the incident signals a potential national security threat.
“This is not just my problem,” she said. “It means anyone in Nigeria can lose their identity and the system will blame them.”
When SaharaReporters contacted the Osun State Command’s spokesperson, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi Zechariah, he said he was not aware of the case but requested for the copy of the petition of the woman.
Business
Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG
The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks
“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.
The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.
If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.
Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country
Business
Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers
The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.
The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.
The statement read
“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.
The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.
This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.
Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”
Business
CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.
According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.
The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.
“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.
The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.
The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.
“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.
The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.
“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.
“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.
Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.
The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
