The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.
Trending
#FreeNnamdiKanuNow Protesters Storm Nigerian House In New York, Demand Release Of IPOB Leader
In a video shared by human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, the protesters were seen chanting and displaying placards, accusing President Bola Tinubu’s administration of injustice and tyranny.
A group of Nigerians in the United States on Monday stormed the Nigerian House in New York, demanding the immediate release of detained Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.
In a video shared by human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, the protesters were seen chanting and displaying placards, accusing President Bola Tinubu’s administration of injustice and tyranny.
“Power belongs to the people Ahmed Bola Tinubu, you are our President by election if that is actually the case. But we know that election and the electoral system in Nigeria is rigged so we want to send a clear message to you that we concerned Nigerians in diaspora are aware and awake to speak truth to power, you are a criminal President and it’s being confirmed by the United States of America,” the protesters stated.
They further called on President Tinubu to demonstrate respect for human rights by freeing Kanu.
“If you have any iota of dignity, set Mazi Nnamdi Kanu free,” one of the protesters declared.
Describing Kanu as a prisoner of conscience, the group condemned the Nigerian government’s continued detention of the separatist leader despite court rulings ordering his release.
“He was tried in a court and the same court gave him freedom but you evil Nigerian government have kept holding him captive,” the protesters said.
Sowore had cautioned that the Bola Tinubu-led Nigerian government’s continued refusal to release the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, could further intensify public agitation across the country.
Sowore gave the warning during the ongoing #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest in Abuja, where demonstrators have been demanding the immediate release of the separatist leader who has been in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) since 2021.
“Today will be different and nobody can stop this spirit and this is to ensure that we bring our brother home,” Sowore said while speaking to NewsCentral TV.
He alleged that the police and other security operatives repeatedly used teargas to disperse the demonstrators at different locations in Abuja, but they continued to regroup.
“They teargassed us, we relocated to Utako, they teargassed us, we relocated to Apo, Apo has the biggest so far and that is to show to you that very soon, this will get out of hand if they don’t do something about releasing Nnamdi Kanu,” he said.
Reiterating that the protesters were not inciting violence, Sowore stressed that their action was a call for justice and fairness.
“We are not threatening violence, we are just saying that in this country we all deserve a right to be citizens. If you want us to be citizens in this country, if you don’t want Nigerians to be citizens in their own country, let those who want to go, go,” he stated.
The ongoing demonstrations in Abuja are part of renewed calls by activists and supporters demanding that the federal government comply with previous court rulings ordering Kanu’s release.
Earlier, Sowore accused Nigerian security operatives of launching an unprovoked attack and shooting live bullets at the #FreeNnamdiKanu peaceful protesters in Abuja.
Speaking on The Morning Brief on Channels Television, Sowore alleged that security forces opened fire at the protesters shortly after the protest began in front of the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, where protesters had gathered to demand the release of the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.
Sowore, former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), alleged that a combined team of the police, soldiers, and civil defence personnel carried out the operation, firing both tear gas and live ammunition to disperse the protesters.
“There were about 10 trucks that arrived as soon as we started the protest. There was no provocation on our part, like we had promised. It was an orderly and peaceful protest,” Sowore said.
“Suddenly, from nowhere, they started shooting at us, tear gas, and some live bullets were fired. Luckily, I don’t think anybody was hit with live bullets, but they were just shooting all around us.”
Sowore, convener of the #RevolutionNow movement, described the government’s continued detention of Kanu as “a sham designed to obstruct justice”.
Trending
Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.
In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”
While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.
He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.
‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.
The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.
The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.
Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said
Trending
OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE
May 14, 2026
The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.
This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.
Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.
Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.
RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.
The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.
The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.
RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.
Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.
The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.
Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)
Trending
Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)
Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.
In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.
After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.
The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
