Connect with us

Health

Gaza health ministry says 87 killed in northern Gaza airstrike

Published

on

By Nidal al-Mughrabi

CAIRO (Reuters) – A total of 87 people were killed or missing under the rubble after an Israeli attack on Saturday on northern Gaza’s town of Beit Lahiya, with more than 40 wounded, the Palestinian enclave’s health ministry said on Sunday.

The Israeli military has said it was investigating reports of the incident, which left one of the highest casualty tolls in months. Earlier, it said a total of 73 reported by the Hamas media office appeared exaggerated given the nature of the munitions used in the strike, which it said hit a Hamas target.

Palestinians gather at the site of Israeli strikes on houses and residential buildings, amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip October 20, 2024. REUTERS/Abdul Karim Farid
© Thomson Reuters

 

Gaza’s health ministry said rescue operations were being hindered by communications problems and by the Israeli military operation still going on around the area, close to the border line with Israel, the ministry said.

Palestinians gather at the site of Israeli strikes on houses and residential buildings, amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip October 20, 2024. REUTERS/Abdul Karim Farid
© Thomson Reuters

 

“Victims are still under the rubble and on the road and ambulance teams and civil emergency can’t reach them,” it said in a statement.

The strike, late on Saturday night, came two weeks into a major operation around the town of Jabalia, just to the south of Beit Lahiya, where Israeli troops backed with tanks have been trying to squeeze out remaining Hamas fighters.

Palestinians gather at the site of Israeli strikes on houses and residential buildings, amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip October 20, 2024. REUTERS/Abdul Karim Farid
© Thomson Reuters

 

“Horrifying scenes unfolding in Gaza, amidst conflict, relentless Israeli strikes & an ever-worsening humanitarian crisis. I condemn the continuing attacks on civilians,” U.N. Middle East peace envoy Tor Wennesland posted on X.

Palestinians gather at the site of Israeli strikes on houses and residential buildings, amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip October 20, 2024. REUTERS/Abdul Karim Farid
© Thomson Reuters

 

“Hostages must be freed, displacement of Palestinians must cease, & civilians must be protected,” he added.

Evacuation orders, directing people south, have fuelled fears among many Palestinians that the operation is intended to clear them out of the northern part of Gaza in order to help ensure Israeli control of the area after the war.

Israel has denied any such plans, saying it is trying to protect civilians and separate them from Hamas fighters.

The military says it has killed scores of armed Palestinian fighters, located weapons, and dismantled a variety of military infrastructure during the operation in Jabalia, home to one of Gaza’s eight historic refugee camps.

Residents in Jabalia said Israeli forces raided shelters housing displaced families and detained dozens of men.

FIGHTING IN GAZA REMAINS INTENSE

The death last week of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar had drawn hopes of a possible opening up of moves to end the fighting in Gaza, more than a year after the Oct. 7, 2023 attack on southern Israel by Hamas-led gunmen who killed some 1,200 people and seized 251 hostages.

But the latest incident underscores how intense the conflict in Gaza still remains, even as Israel’s main focus has shifted north to its operation against the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia in Lebanon.

More than 42,600 Palestinians have been killed during Israel’s ground offensive, according to Palestinian health ministry figures, and thousands more are thought to be buried under the rubble. Much of the coastal enclave has been destroyed and most of its 2.3 million population has been displaced.

As the fighting has continued, health officials have reported stark shortages of food, fuel and medical supplies to treat patients in the three remaining hospitals still partially operating in the area.

Officials at the Kamal Adwan, Indonesian and Al-Awda hospitals said their facilities were besieged by Israeli forces, and at Kamal Adwan Hospital officials said the facility came under Israeli fire.

(Reporting by Nidal Al-Mughrabi; Editing by Hugh Lawson and Alex Richardson)

Health

I’ve Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer – Blessing CEO Confirms Cancer Battle, Solicits Financial Help (Video)

Published

on

Nigerian social media influencer and self-proclaimed relationship expert, Blessing CEO, has shared an update regarding her health.

In a post on her Instagram page, the relationship coach revealed that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer and that doctors have recommended urgent surgery to remove one or both breasts to stop the disease from spreading.

She explained that making the decision to undergo surgery was very difficult, describing the emotional toll and challenges she faces.

She also disclosed that her resources have been stretched, prompting her to seek financial help to cover the cost of the operation.

This development follows her earlier announcement that she would sell some of her personal belongings, including her car, wigs, and Lagos mansion, to raise funds for treatment.

She shared an account number in the video to receive contributions and asked her followers to support her in any way they can.

She said: “My name is Okoro Blessing Nkiruka and I’m popularly known as Blessing CEO. I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. At this point, an urgent surgery is needed for amputation to stop the spread or to know how far the spread has gone.

“If they’re taking off one of the breasts or both of it, trust me, it was a very hard decision to come here. But the truth is, when predicaments like this come for you, you become powerless. I might not be able to do anything, work, influence, resources has gone into this.

“And that’s why I’m here pleading. If I have ever touched you before, if my words have ever shown any positive in your life, if you ever say Blessing CEO I love you, this is the time to show it.

“Thank you so much for the love. My phone is buzzing. God bless every one of you. Nothing is too small. I just want to be fine. Thank you so much. I’m going to put an account number on this video, hoping to start up the surgery as fast as possible. Thank you so much to those of you who reposted, shared. God bless every one of you.

“Thank you so much. I love you guys. I need all the love, all the advice I’ve given to you guys. You’re going to have to give it back to me. Thank you so much. Thank you so much. I have never been this clueless all my life.

“I thought I was a jagaban. I thought I was so strong. I thought I was so strong. Being strong is now my biggest weakness. Thank you so much. God bless you.”

Continue Reading

Health

Jehovah’s Witnesses Review Blood Transfusion Policy On Members

Published

on

Jehovah’s Witnesses have announced an update on their long-standing position on blood transfusions.

In a video published on the group’s official website on Friday, the church stated that members are allowed to make personal decisions on the use of their own blood during medical procedures.

A member of the Governing Body, Gerrit Lösch, said the clarification is intended to help adherents navigate medical choices without departing from biblical teachings

The church, however, maintains that the prohibition on receiving another person’s blood still stands.

He explained that while the doctrine requiring Christians to abstain from blood remains unchanged, the scriptures do not directly address the use of one’s own blood in clinical settings.

“Regarding the use of one’s own blood…a Christian must decide for himself how his own blood will be handled in the course of a surgical procedure, medical test, or current therapy,” he said.

According to him, members are now free to decide whether to permit procedures where their blood is temporarily removed, stored, and later returned to the body.

“Some Christians may decide that they would allow their blood to be stored and then be given back to them. Others may object. Each Christian must make his personal decision on all matters involving the use of his own blood with regard to medical or surgical care,” Lösch added.

He noted that practices such as blood testing, dialysis, and the use of heart-lung machines have already been widely accepted among adherents.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigerian MSc Nursing student arrested for fra¥d in India

Published

on

 

Meerut police in Uttar Pradesh have uncovered a major cyber fra¥d racket involving Nigerian students, arresting one suspect, Saifu Mayana Umar, an MSc Nursing student.

Victims across India were reportedly duped with promises of high returns through investments in foreign companies and stock markets. Investigations have linked Umar and his associates, including a Nigerian national named Yusuf, to at least 16 cyber fra¥d cases.

The gang allegedly used an organized network to lure victims, quickly withdrawing transferred funds through multiple bank accounts and ATMs to avoid detection. Authorities have traced transactions totaling approximately ₹45 lakh in Umar’s bank account, connected to cases mainly from southern states.

The probe involved cyber units from Telangana and Tamil Nadu, who coordinated with Meerut police to apprehend Umar from his hostel. During searches, police recovered electronic devices, ATM cards, bank passbooks, a SIM card, a passport, a cheque book, and mobile phones, all sent for forensic examination to trace the wider network.

Investigators noted that one associate attempted to des+roy banking documents, but some financial records were recovered for scrutiny. Transaction details are also being traced to follow international money flows.

During questioning, Umar admitted that some funds in his account were deposited by Yusuf and subsequently withdrawn. Other names have emerged in the investigation, and warrants are being sought, including potential international cooperation.

Umar has since been released on notice, with his passport confiscated and confinement to the university hostel.

Continue Reading

Trending