Business
How FX reforms stopped lobbying for dollars – BUA chairman
Chairman of BUA Cement Plc, Dr Abdul Samad Rabiu, says foreign exchange reforms by the Central Bank of Nigeria have eliminated the need for companies to lobby for FX. Rabiu made the remarks on Monday in Abuja during a media briefing following the 9th Annual General Meeting of BUA Cement Plc.
He described the current FX regime as more transparent and market-driven, contrasting it with previous practices that, according to him, created an artificial scarcity and forced companies to seek favours to access dollars.
“I was making a joke a few weeks ago that I’ve only seen the current CBN Governor maybe twice since his appointment. That’s because I don’t need him. “Before now, I used to visit the CBN every two weeks to lobby for FX. That was the only way to survive,” Rabiu said.
He criticised the previous FX system, where the official rate was significantly lower than the parallel market rate, noting that it created distortions and limited access for many businesses.
“The rate was N500 or N600 officially, but nobody could get it. On the street, it was closer to N1,000. It was an artificial rate,” he said.
The BUA chairman praised the current reforms for unifying the market, saying, “Now, the rate you get is what everyone else gets. You go to the bank, you get FX at the market rate.”
Rabiu expressed optimism that the naira would continue to strengthen, projecting that the exchange rate could fall to around N1,200/$ in the coming months, down from highs of nearly N2,000 earlier in the year.
He added that the stronger naira was already bringing down the prices of commodities, including cement and food items.
Addressing concerns over cement prices, Rabiu explained that the high cost of production—driven by FX volatility, energy costs, and imported equipment—contributed to recent price hikes. He said that despite these challenges, BUA had tried to keep prices stable.
On the company’s financials, Rabiu said BUA Cement grew its revenue to N877bn in 2024, from N460bn in 2023, despite foreign exchange losses of N93.9bn.
He disclosed that profit before tax rose by 48.2 per cent to N99.63bn, and added that the company’s return on average capital employed rose to 15 per cent, up from 10 per cent in 2023.
Earnings per share increased to N2.18 in 2024 from N2.05 in 2023, representing a 6.3 per cent increase. “This performance was driven by a combination of increased dispatch volumes and prudent pricing strategies, even as the Company absorbed rising input costs.
“Cash generation grew significantly, enabling increased capital expenditure financing and supporting our strategic efforts to reduce exposure to foreign currency obligations. This was achieved by paying down import finance facilities and aligning accrued interest payments with available cash flows,” he said.
Rabiu also revealed that BUA Cement’s profit after tax in Q1 2025 stood at N81bn, higher than its entire earnings for 2024. He projected full-year 2025 earnings could reach N250bn, attributing the improvement to operational efficiency, reduced FX losses, and increased production capacity.
He confirmed that the company had no immediate plans to expand beyond its current 20 million metric tonne capacity, following the recent commissioning of two additional cement lines in Sokoto and Edo States.
Rabiu also reaffirmed BUA’s commitment to shareholder value, noting that a N2.05 dividend per share, representing a 94 per cent payout ratio, would be distributed.
Also speaking, the Managing Director and CEO of BUA Cement, Yusuf Binji, said the company had delivered excellent financial performance, resilience, strategic agility, and a firm commitment to growth in a dynamic environment.
Binji said the company was addressing its largest cost driver — energy — by building a 700-tonnes-per-day LNG regasification plant to guarantee supply and reduce cost. He disclosed that BUA Cement had renegotiated existing service contracts in favour of local content to reduce FX exposure and drive down operational costs.
Business
Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG
The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks
“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.
The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.
If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.
Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country
Business
Fuel price hike: Gov Makinde announces N10,000 transport support for workers
The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance as a palliative for the state workforce to cushion the effects of the increase in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol.
The Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Oyo State chapter, Kayode Martins, in a statement released on Monday, March 23, disclosed that the governor has granted the request of the union on the issue of transportation allowance.
The statement read
“Following the intervention and formal request made by the State Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) earlier this morning, the state government has approved a N10,000 transportation allowance for all workers in the state.
The newly approved allowance is set to take effect from April 2026, providing much-needed relief to workers grappling with rising transportation costs amid current economic challenges.
This development comes as a direct response to sustained advocacy by the state NLC, aimed at cushioning the impact of increased living expenses on the workforce.
Further details on implementation are expected to be communicated by the relevant government authorities in due course.”
Business
CBN Releases New Age Limit, Guidelines On BVN Operation.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has declared that banks and financial institutions must establish and maintain a temporary watch-list for Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) implicated in suspected fraudulent transactions.
According to the CBN in a circular dated March 12, 2026 and signed by its Director of Payments System Policy Department, Musa I. Jimoh, the apex bank said such a suspected BVN may remain on the temporary watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours during which the owner would be contacted to make clarifications.
The circular explained that the move is part of several new measures under a revised regulatory framework aimed at enhancing financial system stability.
“A BVN may remain on this temporary Watchlist for a maximum period of twenty-four (24) hours, during this period, the BVN owner shall be contacted to provide clarification regarding the identified transaction(s),” the circular stated.
The circular also sets an age requirement for BVN enrolment, restricting registration to individuals who have attained eighteen (18) years and above.
The CBN also added that amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once.
“Amendments to phone numbers linked to a BVN shall be allowed only once,” the circular noted.
The apex bank stated that access to BVN databases will remain tightly controlled.
“Access to the BVN databases shall be exclusively granted to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) licensed financial institutions.
“Notwithstanding this provision, the Central Bank of Nigeria (the Bank) reserves the right to approve access to the BVN databases in extenuating circumstances and in accordance with the provisions of extant laws,” the circular said.
Financial institutions are expected to comply with the new requirements, and customers may be contacted by their banks if their BVNs are temporarily flagged during the new fraud monitoring process.
The new policy, as stated by the CBN, takes effect from May 1, 2026.
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
