News
Israeli planes bomb southern Lebanon after radio blasts
By Walid Saleh and James Mackenzie
BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Reuters) -Israel bombed southern Lebanon on Thursday and said it had thwarted an Iranian-led assassination plot, a day after explosions of Hezbollah radios that came on the heels of blasts in booby trapped pagers, setting the foes hurtling towards war.
The sophisticated attacks on armed group Hezbollah’s communications equipment, which killed 37 people and wounded around 3,000 over two days, sowed disarray in Lebanon, with panicked residents abandoning their mobile phones.
“This isn’t a small matter, it’s war. Who can even secure their phone now? When I heard about what happened yesterday, I left my phone on my motorcycle and walked away,” said Mustafa Sibal on a street near central Beirut.
A distant roar in the skies could be heard in Beirut from what Lebanese state media said was Israeli jets breaking the sound barrier – a sound that has grown increasingly common in recent months.
Israel said its warplanes struck villages in southern Lebanon overnight, and a security source and Hezbollah’s al-Manar TV reported airstrikes near the border resumed on Thursday just after midday.
Hand-held radios used by Hezbollah detonated on Wednesday across Lebanon’s south. The Lebanese health minister raised the death toll, saying 25 people had been killed and 608 injured in the country’s deadliest day since cross-border fighting erupted between the militants and Israel in parallel with the Gaza war last year.
The previous day, hundreds of pagers – used by Hezbollah to evade mobile phone surveillance – exploded at once, killing 12 people including two children, and injuring more than 2,300.
In a post on X, Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati called on the United Nations Security Council to take a firm stand to stop Israel’s “aggression” and “technological war” against his country.
Israel has not commented directly on the booby-trapped walkie-talkies and pagers, but multiple security sources have said the attacks were carried out by its spy agency Mossad.
Israel says its conflict with Hezbollah, like its war in Gaza against Palestinian militant group Hamas, is part of a wider regional confrontation with Iran, which sponsors both groups as well as armed movements in Syria, Yemen and Iraq.
On Thursday Israeli security forces announced that an Israeli businessman had been arrested last month after attending at least two meetings in Iran, where he discussed assassinating Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the defence minister or the head of the Shin Bet spy agency.
Last week, Shin Bet uncovered what it said was a plot by Hezbollah to assassinate former Defence Minister Moshe Ya’alon.
Israel has been accused of assassinations including a blast in Tehran that killed the leader of Hamas and another in a Beirut suburb that killed a senior Hezbollah commander within hours of each other in July.
Despite the events of the past few days, a spokesperson for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in southern Lebanon said the situation along the frontier had “not changed much in terms of exchanges of fire between the parties”.
“There was an intensification last week. This week it is more or less the same. There are still exchanges of fire. It is still worrying, still concerning, and the rhetoric is high,” the spokesperson, Andrea Tenenti, told Reuters.
Israel and Hezbollah have been exchanging fire across the Israeli-Lebanon border in parallel with the war Israel has waged in Gaza against Hamas, the Palestinian militant group whose fighters attacked Israel on Oct. 7.
Tens of thousands of people have had to flee the Israel-Lebanon border area on both sides. Netanyahu vowed on Wednesday to return the evacuated Israelis “securely to their homes”.
SHIFTING FOCUS
The Israeli military said its overnight air strikes hit Hezbollah targets in Chihine, Tayibe, Blida, Meiss El Jabal, Aitaroun and Kfarkela in southern Lebanon, as well as a Hezbollah weapons storage facility in the area of Khiam.
Israeli media reported that a number of Israeli civilians had been wounded by anti-tank missile fire from Lebanon, but there was no official confirmation.
On Wednesday, Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said the war was moving into a new phase, with more resources and military units now being shifted to the northern border.
According to Israeli officials, the forces being deployed there include the 98th Division, an elite formation including commando and paratroop elements that has been fighting in Gaza.
Hezbollah launched missile barrages on Israel on the day after the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas, and since then there has been a constant exchange of fire that neither side has allowed to escalate into a full-scale war.
However, tens of thousands have been evacuated on both sides of the border, and there has been mounting pressure in Israel for the government to get the evacuees back home.
(Additional reporting by Tom Perry and Walid Saleh in BeirutWriting by Michael GeorgyEditing by Peter Graff)
News
𝗛𝗢𝗡. 𝗧𝗢𝗦𝗞𝗔 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗠𝗡𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗞𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦, 𝗞𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗘𝗦 𝗜𝗡 𝗜𝗛𝗜𝗔𝗚𝗪𝗔, 𝗢𝗕𝗜𝗕𝗜𝗘𝗭𝗘𝗡𝗔, 𝗘𝗭𝗜𝗢𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗢, 𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗕𝗜𝗔𝗠, 𝗢𝗞𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗛𝗜, 𝗨𝗠𝗨𝗚𝗨𝗠𝗔, 𝗔𝗩𝗨 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗠𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗘𝗦: 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗜𝗠𝗠𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡
Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere(TOSKA), Member Representing Owerri Federal Constituency, has strongly condemned the incessant gruesome killings, kidnappings, rapes and violent attacks carried out by unscrupulous and criminal elements terrorizing communities within Owerri Federal Constituency, especially in Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emeabiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other neighbouring communities.
The recent killings of vigilante operatives and innocent constituents at Umuguma and Ihiagwa call for urgent and deterrent response by our security agencies.
In a passionate motion raised before the Federal House of Representatives, Hon. Okere called on the Federal Government of Nigeria and relevant security agencies to immediately deploy adequate security personnel to the affected communities and take decisive actions against the worsening insecurity threatening the lives and properties of his people.
According to him, the continuous attacks on harmless villagers, farmers, women and youths can no longer be tolerated under any guise.
“I urge the Federal Government of Nigeria to urgently look into this motion and act swiftly before more innocent lives are lost. Our people deserve to live and to live in peace without fear of being kidnapped, raped or butchered in their own communities,” Hon. TOSKA stressed.
The lawmaker further emphasized that the people of Owerri Federal Constituency will not fold their arms and watch criminals continue to unleash terror across Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emebiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other communities while families continue to mourn their loved ones daily.
This courageous move by Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere has continued to attract commendations from constituents who describe his intervention as timely, bold and people-oriented.
Hon. Okere is the light and the voice of Owerri Federal Constituency.
May God keep him to keep standing for us and for our interest.
News
TENSIONS RISE IN OGUTA LGA AS CHAIRMAN MOVED AHEAD WITH Town UNION ELECTIONS AGAINST STATE DIRECTIVE
By Nwauwa Ikedi Justice
An emerging standoff between the Oguta Local Government Area executive and the Imo State Government has sparked concerns of unrest in several communities, after the council chairman proceeded with plans to conduct Town Union elections in defiance of a statewide directive from Governor Hope Uzodimma.
Last week, Hon. Ifeanyi Nnani, Executive Chairman of Oguta LGA, initiated steps to organize elections in five autonomous communities, an action seen by observers as a direct challenge to the governor’s order prohibiting local government chairmen from interfering in Town Union affairs.
The controversy stems from earlier complaints by traditional rulers across the state, who alleged that some local government chairmen had been imposing proxies as Town Union executives in their domains.
In response, Governor Uzodimma convened a statewide stakeholders’ meeting on January 17, 2026, at the Eze Imo Palace. Citing the Imo State Town Union Law No. 6 of 2003, as amended, the governor lifted the existing ban on Town Union elections and ruled that the process should be conducted in line with each community’s established customs. He also transferred supervisory responsibility from local government chairmen to the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, designating it the appropriate authority for such matters. The directive has since been credited with restoring relative peace across the state.
Despite this, sources indicate that Hon. Nnani’s administration has quietly begun conducting elections in villages within Oguta LGA without consulting the affected Town Unions or seeking clearance from the supervising ministry.
A letter dated last week and personally signed by the chairman to the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs has since come to light. Rather than seeking approval, the correspondence served as notification of the council’s intent to proceed with elections in Ndiuloukwu, Mgbala, Uworie, and Mgbele autonomous communities—a move that appears to contradict the state government’s directive.
The emergence of the letter has alarmed traditional rulers, with reports of growing unease in the affected communities. Community leaders have vowed to resist what they describe as an unlawful intrusion into their internal affairs.
Attempts to reach Hon. Nnani for comment have so far been unsuccessful, as calls to his office went unanswered.
Business
Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG
The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks
“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.
The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.
If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.
Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
