Connect with us

Trending

Lagos: Police arrest housewife, accomplice over fake kidnap, N2.5m extortion

Published

on

Lagos State Police Command has arrested a 26-year-old housewife, Misturah Bada, alongside her alleged accomplice, 30-year-old Adedamola Daniel, for reportedly staging her own kidnapping and extorting N2.5 million from her husband, who lives in South Africa.

In a statement issued on Saturday by the Command’s spokesperson, SP Abimbola Adebisi, the suspects were apprehended by operatives of the Command Special Squad following investigations into a reported abduction that was later uncovered to be fabricated.

According to the police, the Command received a distress call on November 24, 2025, at about 10:00 p.m. from the woman’s husband, who claimed that his wife had been abducted by armed men demanding a ransom of N10 million, which was later negotiated down to N3 million.

Eventually, N2.5 million was paid, but the alleged kidnappers reportedly failed to release the victim.

Following the report, the Command deployed both human and technical intelligence assets to trace the purported kidnappers.

Mrs Bada was later released and reunited with her family.

During initial questioning, she claimed she had been abducted by six armed men in a silver Toyota Venza, taken to an undisclosed location, and robbed of her iPhone 12 Pro Max.

She also stated that the ransom was paid into her bank account before being handed over to the kidnappers.

However, the police said discrepancies in her narrative raised suspicion, prompting further investigation.

On December 3, 2025, operatives arrested Adedamola Daniel in Ede, Osun State.

A SIM card used to register the WhatsApp account through which the ransom negotiations were conducted was recovered from him.

During interrogation, Daniel allegedly confessed that Mrs Bada asked him to use his SIM card to create the WhatsApp account used for the negotiations.

He further admitted that he provided the one-time password sent to his line, which enabled her to operate the account.

When confronted with the findings, Mrs Bada reportedly admitted to faking her own abduction in order to obtain money from her husband.

Subsequent investigations also led to the recovery of the iPhone 12 Pro Max she earlier claimed had been taken by the kidnappers.

The phone was recovered from one Yusuf Sodiq, 34, who told investigators that he bought it from her for N380,000 and was cautioned not to insert a SIM card into the device.

The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Olohundare Jimoh, reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to safeguarding lives and property.

He warned the public against making false reports and engaging in deceptive acts capable of diverting critical security resources.

He also encouraged residents to continue their lawful activities and promptly report suspicious movements through the Command’s designated emergency channels.

Police authorities said investigations are ongoing and that the suspects will be charged to court upon the conclusion of the probe.

Trending

Bandits behind Ogbomoso school abduction will face full wrath of the law- President Tinubu

Published

on

 

President Bola Tinubu has condemned the reported “barbaric” killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Ogbomoso, Oyo state.

In a statement released issued by his media aide, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday, May 18, President Tinubu said the teacher was k!lled when “rescue operation is underway.”

While conveying his sympathy the government and people of the state, President Tinubu assured that security operatives are “working around the clock” to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits as well as their collaborators within the community.

He further assured that the federal government would collaborate with the state government to rescue the victims.

‘’”I am saddened by the reported killing of one of the teachers kidnapped by the gunmen who invaded the community. I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims.

The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims.

The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas. The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police” the President said

Continue Reading

Trending

OLD WINE IN A NEW BOTTLE: RULAAC CONDEMNS COSMETIC DISBANDMENT OF TIGER BASE IN IMO STATE

Published

on

 

May 14, 2026

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) expresses deep concern over the decision by the Nigeria Police Force to disband the notorious “Tiger Base” in Owerri, Imo State, only to inaugurate another tactical police unit operating from the same facility, under substantially the same command structure and reportedly with many of the same operatives.

This development raises serious questions about the sincerity of ongoing police reform efforts in Nigeria and reinforces fears that what is being presented as reform may merely be a cosmetic rebranding exercise designed to deflect public criticism without addressing the underlying culture of abuse and impunity.

Tiger Base became widely associated with allegations of torture, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detention, extortion, and extrajudicial killings. Over the years, victims, families, lawyers, journalists, and civil society organizations documented disturbing patterns of abuse linked to the operations of the unit.
Ordinarily, the disbandment of such a notorious tactical outfit should have marked an opportunity for genuine institutional reform. It should have included:
– Independent investigation into allegations of abuse;
– Accountability for officers implicated in violations;
– Justice and reparations for victims;
– Structural reforms and strengthened oversight;
– Human rights-centered retraining and professionalization.

Instead, the establishment of another tactical formation under substantially similar conditions suggests continuity rather than reform.

RULAAC is particularly concerned that retaining personnel or leadership figures associated with serious allegations of abuse sends a dangerous message that misconduct within the policing system carries no real consequences. This undermines public trust, weakens accountability, and emboldens further violations.

The situation also raises broader concerns regarding political interference in policing. Tactical police units must never become instruments for political intimidation, repression, or the advancement of partisan interests. Professional policing requires operational independence, transparency, accountability, and strict adherence to constitutional and legal standards.

The controversy inevitably recalls the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests, when the disbandment of SARS was quickly followed by the creation of SWAT, generating widespread fears that abusive policing structures were merely being renamed rather than fundamentally transformed.

RULAAC reiterates that genuine police reform cannot be achieved through changes in nomenclature alone. Meaningful reform requires accountability, transparency, civilian oversight, institutional culture change, and justice for victims.

Accordingly, RULAAC calls for the following urgent measures:
1. A transparent and independent investigation into allegations against Tiger Base operatives and leadership;
2. Prosecution and disciplinary action against officers implicated in torture, unlawful killings, and other abuses;
3. Justice, compensation, and support for victims and affected families;
4. Strengthened civilian oversight involving the National Human Rights Commission, judicial institutions, and civil society organizations;
5. Clear operational guidelines and publicly accountable rules of engagement for tactical police units;
6. Measures to insulate policing from political interference and abuse.

The people of Imo State and Nigerians generally deserve a policing system founded on professionalism, legality, accountability, and respect for human rights – not the recycling of abusive structures under new labels.

Signed:
Okechukwu Nwanguma
Executive Director
Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Chaos As Military Officers Exchange Blows During Tinubu’s Visit To Bayelsa (Videos)

Published

on

Personnel of the Nigerian military were seen engaging in a fight during the visit of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Bayelsa on Friday.

In a video spotted on social media, the driver of a Hilux vehicle marked “Naval Police” was seen stepping down from his vehicle and exchanging words with another driver.

After returning to his vehicle, another driver with a rifle approached him and threw a punch at the Naval Police driver, triggering a brawl.

The incident quickly escalated into a free-for-all, with personnel attached to both vehicles exchanging blows, while stunned civilians watched in disbelief.

The cause of the altercation could not be immediately ascertained as of press time.

Continue Reading

Trending