News
Lawyer Abubakar Marshal Defends Nnamdi Kanu’s Right To File Fresh Objection As Court Case Turns ‘Deeply Political’
Marshal, who described the move as “legally sound” and “founded on strong legal principle,” said that the trial of the IPOB leader is “deeply political.”
Human rights lawyer, Abubakar Marshal, has defended the right of the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, to file a fresh objection against the terrorism-related charges brought against him by the Nigerian government.
Marshal, who described the move as “legally sound” and “founded on strong legal principle,” said that the trial of the IPOB leader is “deeply political.”
In a statement made available to SaharaReporters on Tuesday, Marshal argued that Kanu’s latest application to challenge the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court was both lawful and consistent with long-established legal doctrine.
“The application of Nnamdi Kanu to file further objection to his charge is founded on strong legal principle & pedestal,” he said.
“It does not amount to foreclosure of his defence neither is it tantamount to resting his case on that of the prosecution.”
The lawyer stressed that Kanu raising such an objection at this stage of the proceedings was perfectly permissible under Nigerian law.
“It is elementary law that an objection can be raised at any time or stage of proceedings even at the Supreme Court & for as many times possible,” he stated.
Marshal explained that the trial judge was duty-bound to consider and rule on any application properly filed before the court.
“Indeed, a judge is bound to hear & rule one way or the other every application brought to him (even if he feels the application is ‘foolish’),” he said.
According to him, Kanu’s decision to challenge the jurisdictional footing of his charge is a legitimate step in his defense.
“By proposing a fresh objection challenging the jurisdictional footing of his charge, Nnamdi kanu is legally right.
“It is only upon the determination of the objection that the court can move to the next stage; If the objection succeeds, the case terminates, if otherwise, then he has to enter his defence properly,” Marshal noted.
He dismissed as “legally incorrect” the claim that Kanu had forfeited or withdrawn his defense or that he had opted to rest his case on the prosecution’s evidence.
“The claim that he has forfeited or withdrawn his defense or that he has elected to rest his case on that of the prosecution is legally incorrect with all due respect,” Marshal emphasised.
The lawyer also expressed his conviction that Kanu’s trial was more political than legal in nature, urging the government to pursue dialogue instead of confrontation.
“It is my strong conviction that the case of Nnamdi Kanu is a political case,” he said. “The state stands to gain more by striking a good deal and extracting some fantastic undertaking from him through dialogue.
“A government that is quick to grant amnesty to terrorists and negotiate with bandits should not be reluctant to find a political solution to a case that would bring stability to an entire region.”
On Monday, Kanu withdrew his earlier decision to call witnesses in his ongoing trial before the Federal High Court in Abuja, insisting that there are no legitimate charges against him.
Kanu told Justice James Omotosho that after a careful review of the prosecution’s case file, he concluded that the Nigerian government had failed to establish any valid charge to warrant a defence.
Kanu, who had earlier filed a formal application to summon witnesses in his defense, told the court that the decision was no longer necessary since, in his words, “no competent charge exists against me.”
The Biafran Nation agitator argued that he had been subjected to an unjust process and that the evidence tendered by the prosecution did not in any way prove the allegations brought against him by the Nigerian government.
In response, Justice Omotosho advised Kanu to put his new position into writing and formally serve it on the prosecution team, noting that it was crucial for the court record.
Recall that Kanu earlier named former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) Abubakar Malami and several prominent Nigerians as witnesses in his ongoing terrorism trial.
Those also listed include the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike; former Minister of Defence, Gen. Theophilus Danjuma (rtd); former Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Tukur Buratai (rtd); Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu; and Imo State Governor Hope Uzodimma.
Others named are Minister of Works, Dave Umahi; immediate past Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu; former Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Rufai Abubakar; and former Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Yusuf Bichi.
Kanu has been in detention since his re-arrest in Kenya and extradition to Nigeria in 2021.
The Supreme Court in December 2023 upheld the continuation of his trial at the Federal High Court in Abuja after ruling that his arrest, though irregular, did not nullify the charges against him.
Kanu’s legal team has since continued to challenge the jurisdiction and fairness of the proceedings.
His continued detention has sparked widespread calls for a political solution from rights groups, traditional leaders, and political figures who argue that resolving the matter through dialogue could help ease rising tensions in the South-East.
News
𝗛𝗢𝗡. 𝗧𝗢𝗦𝗞𝗔 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗠𝗡𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗞𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦, 𝗞𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗘𝗦 𝗜𝗡 𝗜𝗛𝗜𝗔𝗚𝗪𝗔, 𝗢𝗕𝗜𝗕𝗜𝗘𝗭𝗘𝗡𝗔, 𝗘𝗭𝗜𝗢𝗕𝗢𝗗𝗢, 𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗕𝗜𝗔𝗠, 𝗢𝗞𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗛𝗜, 𝗨𝗠𝗨𝗚𝗨𝗠𝗔, 𝗔𝗩𝗨 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗠𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗘𝗦: 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗜𝗠𝗠𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡
Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere(TOSKA), Member Representing Owerri Federal Constituency, has strongly condemned the incessant gruesome killings, kidnappings, rapes and violent attacks carried out by unscrupulous and criminal elements terrorizing communities within Owerri Federal Constituency, especially in Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emeabiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other neighbouring communities.
The recent killings of vigilante operatives and innocent constituents at Umuguma and Ihiagwa call for urgent and deterrent response by our security agencies.
In a passionate motion raised before the Federal House of Representatives, Hon. Okere called on the Federal Government of Nigeria and relevant security agencies to immediately deploy adequate security personnel to the affected communities and take decisive actions against the worsening insecurity threatening the lives and properties of his people.
According to him, the continuous attacks on harmless villagers, farmers, women and youths can no longer be tolerated under any guise.
“I urge the Federal Government of Nigeria to urgently look into this motion and act swiftly before more innocent lives are lost. Our people deserve to live and to live in peace without fear of being kidnapped, raped or butchered in their own communities,” Hon. TOSKA stressed.
The lawmaker further emphasized that the people of Owerri Federal Constituency will not fold their arms and watch criminals continue to unleash terror across Ihiagwa, Obibiezena, Eziobodo, Emebiam, Okolochi, Umuguma, Avu and other communities while families continue to mourn their loved ones daily.
This courageous move by Hon. Sir Tochukwu Okere has continued to attract commendations from constituents who describe his intervention as timely, bold and people-oriented.
Hon. Okere is the light and the voice of Owerri Federal Constituency.
May God keep him to keep standing for us and for our interest.
News
TENSIONS RISE IN OGUTA LGA AS CHAIRMAN MOVED AHEAD WITH Town UNION ELECTIONS AGAINST STATE DIRECTIVE
By Nwauwa Ikedi Justice
An emerging standoff between the Oguta Local Government Area executive and the Imo State Government has sparked concerns of unrest in several communities, after the council chairman proceeded with plans to conduct Town Union elections in defiance of a statewide directive from Governor Hope Uzodimma.
Last week, Hon. Ifeanyi Nnani, Executive Chairman of Oguta LGA, initiated steps to organize elections in five autonomous communities, an action seen by observers as a direct challenge to the governor’s order prohibiting local government chairmen from interfering in Town Union affairs.
The controversy stems from earlier complaints by traditional rulers across the state, who alleged that some local government chairmen had been imposing proxies as Town Union executives in their domains.
In response, Governor Uzodimma convened a statewide stakeholders’ meeting on January 17, 2026, at the Eze Imo Palace. Citing the Imo State Town Union Law No. 6 of 2003, as amended, the governor lifted the existing ban on Town Union elections and ruled that the process should be conducted in line with each community’s established customs. He also transferred supervisory responsibility from local government chairmen to the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, designating it the appropriate authority for such matters. The directive has since been credited with restoring relative peace across the state.
Despite this, sources indicate that Hon. Nnani’s administration has quietly begun conducting elections in villages within Oguta LGA without consulting the affected Town Unions or seeking clearance from the supervising ministry.
A letter dated last week and personally signed by the chairman to the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs has since come to light. Rather than seeking approval, the correspondence served as notification of the council’s intent to proceed with elections in Ndiuloukwu, Mgbala, Uworie, and Mgbele autonomous communities—a move that appears to contradict the state government’s directive.
The emergence of the letter has alarmed traditional rulers, with reports of growing unease in the affected communities. Community leaders have vowed to resist what they describe as an unlawful intrusion into their internal affairs.
Attempts to reach Hon. Nnani for comment have so far been unsuccessful, as calls to his office went unanswered.
Business
Fuel may hit N2000/litre. Subsidize crude feedstock now – TUC tells FG
The Trade Union of Nigeria, TUC, has raised the alarm that the price of Premium Motor Spirit aka Petrol may climb to about N2,000 per litre if urgent measures are not taken to cushion the impact of rising global crude prices and the depreciating naira.
Speaking to newsmen on Thursday, April 9, the president of the TUC, Festus Osifo, called on the Federal Government to immediately deploy 60 percent of excess crude oil revenue above the 2026 budget benchmark to subsidise crude feedstock supplies to the Dangote Refinery and other modular refineries, a move it says will slash pump prices of petrol, diesel, and jet fuel within two weeks
“Today, comrades, we are seeing that the cost of petrol is edging towards N2,000 per litre depending on the part of the country that you are. Nigerian workers are already passing through excruciating pain as we speak.
The same way it is affecting transportation, it is also affecting manufacturing. The cost of diesel has also gone northward, meaning that the cost of production has increased. When production costs rise, the final price of goods on the shelves will also skyrocket.
If this continues unchecked, the inflation that we are currently celebrating as going downwards will reverse and start moving up again,” he stated.
Osifo outlined the proposal as an urgent intervention to cushion Nigerian workers from excruciating pain caused by petrol prices edging towards ₦2,000 per litre in some parts of the country
-
Business2 years ago
US court acquits Air Peace boss, slams Mayfield $4000 fine
-
Trending2 years agoNYA demands release of ‘abducted’ Imo chairman, preaches good governance
-
Politics2 years agoMexico’s new president causes concern just weeks before the US elections
-
Politics2 years agoPutin invites 20 world leaders
-
Politics2 years agoRussia bans imports of agro-products from Kazakhstan after refusal to join BRICS
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky falls ill in police custody, rushed to hospital
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Bobrisky transferred from Immigration to FCID, spends night behind bars
-
Education2 years ago
GOVERNOR FUBARA APPOINTS COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR KEN SARO-WIWA POLYTECHNIC BORI
