Connect with us

Politics

Liberal Mayor Nicușor Dan defeats nationalist challenger to win Romanian presidency

Published

on

Romania has elected a new president following one of the most dramatic and divisive elections in its recent history.

Nicușor Dan, the liberal and pro-European mayor of Bucharest, narrowly defeated far-right nationalist George Simion in a high-stakes presidential runoff.

Dan secured 53.6% of the vote, emerging victorious after a tense campaign marked by political upheaval, a cancelled election, and deep ideological divides.

The final count came late into the night, with Dan confirming his win only after midnight. Jubilant supporters gathered outside Bucharest City Hall, cheering and chanting as he addressed the crowd.

“We need to build Romania together, irrespective of who you voted for,” Dan said, calling for unity in a country shaken by months of political unrest.

An estimated 11.5 million Romanians cast their votes in Sunday’s decisive second round. While Simion dominated the diaspora vote, Dan gained strong support domestically, including in Moldova where 87% of Romanian voters backed him.

The runoff followed an annulled election last year, scrapped over allegations of Russian interference and campaign fraud after fringe candidate Călin Georgescu unexpectedly topped the polls. Georgescu was later disqualified, fueling anger among nationalist voters and giving momentum to Simion.

Despite early exit polls favoring Dan, Simion refused to concede, insisting late Sunday, “I won, I am the new president of Romania.”

He finally acknowledged defeat early Monday on Facebook, and a planned protest by his supporters was called off.

Simion, leader of the far-right Alliance for the Union of Romanians (AUR) party, had built his campaign on anti-EU rhetoric and calls to end Romanian support for Ukraine.

In contrast, Dan ran on a pro-European platform, promising to fight corruption and maintain close ties with the West.

“Russia, don’t forget, Romania isn’t yours!” chanted Dan’s supporters on election night, a defiant message in the shadow of Russian aggression in Eastern Europe.

International reactions to Dan’s victory were swift. Moldovan President Maia Sandu and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky both offered congratulations, praising Romania’s commitment to democracy and regional cooperation. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen lauded Romanians for choosing “the promise of an open, prosperous Romania in a strong Europe.”

Simion’s appeal was strongest among Romanians living in Western Europe, where he claimed large majorities in countries like Spain (68.5%), Italy (66.8%), and Germany (67%). In the UK, he narrowly edged Dan, with some voters expressing lingering frustration over Georgescu’s disqualification.

“We didn’t know anything about [Georgescu] but you could tell he was a good Christian,” said 37-year-old voter Catalina Grancea in the UK, who vowed to return to Romania if Simion won.

Simion denied accusations of being pro-Russian or fascist, calling himself “a man of my people” and attacking the mainstream media for what he claimed were smear campaigns.

“Do we like democracy only when the good guy has won?” he asked on election day.

Despite the loss, Simion’s strong first-round performance and wide support among disillusioned voters suggest his nationalist message continues to resonate with a significant portion of the population.

Nicușor Dan now faces the daunting task of uniting a polarized country and restoring trust in democratic institutions.

He takes office following the collapse of Romania’s coalition government, whose candidate failed to reach the second round, further pointing to the country’s political instability.

Still, Dan’s win is seen as a reaffirmation of Romania’s pro-European course, a critical stance at a time of regional uncertainty and ongoing war in neighboring Ukraine.

“A community of Romanians who want a profound change in Romania won,” Dan declared in his victory speech.

Politics

2027: More Than 50 Lawmakers Lose APC Reps Tickets in Major Primary Election

Published

on

 

No fewer than 50 members of the 10th House of Representatives are unlikely to be part of the 11th Assembly after losing out in the All Progressive Congress (APC) primaries held on Saturday.

This marks one of the largest turnovers of sitting federal lawmakers since 2015 and signals intensifying internal competition within the ruling party eight months to the 2027 general elections.

While House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas (Kano) and Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu (Abia) successfully defended their tickets, several ranking and long-serving lawmakers were defeated, exposing strong anti-incumbent sentiment and the decisive role of state governors in candidate selection.

Major casualties

One of the biggest upsets was the defeat of House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere in Edo State’s Owan Federal Constituency. He polled 1,005 votes out of 7,587 cast, finishing third behind Andrew Ijegbia, who scored 3,695 votes. Abdul Oroh placed second with 1,740 votes.

In Delta State, veteran lawmaker Nicholas Mutu, who has represented Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency since 1999, lost his re-election bid. Ngozi Okolie also lost the Aniocha/Oshimili ticket to former House Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.

 

Cross River State recorded one of the highest casualty rates, with five of eight incumbents failing to secure re-nomination.

They include three-term member Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Godwin Offiono (Ogoja/Yala), Emil Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), and Bassey Akiba (Odukpani/Calabar Municipality).

Only Peter Akpanke, Joseph Bassey, and Victor Abang won return tickets.

In Plateau State, conflicting results in Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam Federal Constituency triggered early confusion. One returning officer declared challenger John Tongshinen winner with 29,968 votes against incumbent Yusuf Gagdi’s 5,849.

The APC Plateau State primaries committee, chaired by Stella Okotete, later dismissed that declaration as unauthorised and affirmed Mr Gagdi as the authentic winner with 29,207 votes.

At a press briefing, Mrs Okotete stated that Nandom Kura was the recognised returning officer. “The returning officer approved by my committee that has gone to do fake declaration is null and void,” she said.

Other significant losses occurred in Ogun State (at least five incumbents, including Deputy Chief Whip Ibrahim Isiaka and Tunji Akinosi) and Ekiti State (three sitting members).

 

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP to screen Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday as its sole Presidential aspirant For 2027 race

Published

on

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Tanimu Turaki, SAN, has scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, aMay 19, as the lone presidential candidate of party.

According to a statement from the PDP faction backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, Former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former governor of Plateau State, Jona Jang and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tom Ikimi have been listed among a committee of 14 members to screen Jonathan described as a lone candidate by the party.

Other members of the committee were Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Edo State PDP chairman, Tony Aziegbemi, Dr. Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who would serve as administrative secretary of the committee.

Last week, the national Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ini Ememobong, disclosed that former president Jonathan has successfully registered as a member of the party in the fresh digital registration exercise directed by INEC.

The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.

The screening committee would screen 2122 states houses of assembly aspirants. The exercise will commence tomorrow, Tuesday in different states.

According to the statement, the screening exercise would take place nationwide on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m.

The statement said the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has also released the names of members to serve on the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.

It added that the publication of the screening details “is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Oshiomhole wins Edo APC senatorial primaries unopposed

Published

on

A former governor and incumbent Senator, Adams Oshiomhole, along with his counterpart Senator Joe Ikpea, sailed through the All Progressives Congress senatorial primary in Edo unopposed, and securing their tickets without a single vote cast against them.

Also Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama emerged the winner in the APC primary for the Edo South senatorial district.

Ogbeide-Ihama won in the seven local government areas of Edo South in the results announced by the Chairman of APC National Assembly Primary Election, Muhammed Ajana at the Urokpota Hall, Benin.

He polled 27,154 votes while his opponents, Senator Neda Imasuen, got 13,580, and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu got 6785.

The elections were hitch-free in Edo North and Edo Central, where there was no contest against the incumbents, Senators Oshiomhole of Edo North and Ikpea of Edo Central, respectively.

Ajana at the Urokpota Hall said the collation arose from votes cast in the seven local government areas made up of 77 wards where elections were conducted by members of the committee.

He said, “There are seven local governments that make up the Edo South Senatorial District. We have heard from the Returning officers from the seven local government areas. From the collation, the cumulative result we have for Edo South Senatorial District is this; Ogbeide-Ihama with 27,154 votes, Imasuen with 13,580 votes and Ize-Iyamu with 6, 785.

“This is the total reflection of what has transpired from the ward level to the local government and the Edo South senatorial district collation centre. With this we await further directives from the National Secretariat, we have done our best by collating the results which is our mandate, to collate the results and send them to the National Secretariat.”

However, it was gathered that Ize-Iyamu emerged as the APC candidate for Edo South Senatorial race. He claimed to have clinched the party’s ticket after defeating Ogbeide-Ihama and Imasuen.

It was claimed that the Chief Returning Officer, Abubakar Muhammad Kabiru, officially declared Ize-Iyamu the winner after securing the highest number of votes cast.

On his part, the senator representing the district condemned the exercise describing it as a sham allegedly designed to favour a preferred aspirant.

Imasuen spoke while reacting to events at his polling unit in Umagbae North Ward 5, Urhokuosa where he said he was denied the opportunity to vote following what he described as a chaotic and manipulated process.

The lawmaker accused leaders of the party of openly adopting a preferred candidate ahead of the exercise and intimidating members into supporting that aspirant.

He said, “There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of election they did today and it is very unfortunate because as a loyal party member, I expected something better than this.”

He said the warning signs emerged days before the primary when some ward chairmen allegedly informed him that they had been directed not to receive him during consultations.

Imasuen claimed that some ward leaders openly told him the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant, identified as Hon. Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama, making further consultations unnecessary.

Continue Reading

Trending